FZJ80 Dual Battery

• HTML tutorial

wring_leader

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

portsmouth Va.
Member #

I apologize in advance if this thread already exist. I want to setup a dual battery system in my 1994 80 but i want to setup the second battery in the rear by the hatch on the passenger side by removing the entire interior panel and setup the second battery with a fuse block and a dc to ac inverter. Has anyone done this or know if you can do this everything i have read has said to have the two battery's as close as possible. Thanks in advance -James

wring_leader

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

portsmouth Va.
Member #

No real apprehension just curious if it was practicle to do them that far apart. That is my plan as of now would be both in the engine bay then set up the inverter and a fuse block in the rear for ease of use.

Sent from my SM-G900P using OB Talk mobile app

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I run two, one on each side of the radiator in the 'factory' locations, works out well there.
I run a big cable to the back, at one time I was going to install a rear winch but never did. Now I have a couple BlueSea fuse panels in the back that powers everything back there.
That panel is mounted in the pocket on the PS of the 3rd row seat. Your 80 might be different, mine didn't come with 3rd row seats. YMMV.

upload_2017-2-13_21-49-51.png

The big circuit breaker is for the PUMA 12V air compressor on the DS of the rear compartment.

wring_leader

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

portsmouth Va.
Member #

I have a similar pocket on mine which has the third row. Currently the driver side of the 3rd row is removed for storage. One of my sons normally sits on the ps seat. I like that set up i think i will look into something similar to that.

Sent from my SM-G900P using OB Talk mobile app

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I cut the back side of the pocket out flat to fit a piece of plywood. It was going to be temporary, but, well, now it's permanent because it works well.

You can see I have more capacity, I'm always adding stuff and what I removed and cleaned up was a rats nest of wiring, improved to this. Much cleaner.

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
Just finished mine up a few weeks ago. Did the standard two batteries in the stock location under the engine. I have an engine accessory fuseblock and a fuse block under the drivers seat. Fuse all positive wire runs as close to the battery as possible. Mount up all units (fuseblocks, switches, solenoid, batteries, breakers, etc) first. Then measure, cut, and run all your wire. Secure and protect wiring with loom, braid and zip ties and you should be pretty safe.