Launch Member

Contributor III

Massachusetts
First Name
Colin
Last Name
Brauns
Hey all,

I'm preparing to go full time into my Toyota Tacoma. I've done this for a few months at a time before, and def stepped up my equipment to make it more manageable this time. I'm based in Boston.

I'm trying to figure out good places to go work from. Anywhere in the United States really - I'm open minded. Although I do have to be mindful of coronavirus regulations. I'm mostly just looking to find places where I can let my dog hang out off leash, I can sit down and work after a morning swim or hike, etc.

Boondocking is quite limited in the northeast, and I really want to avoid getting into a situation where I'm paying $18- $35 for camping every night. That being said, I do want to find places that I can be somewhat settled in. I have a good place to go in the city when I need to, and friends places, but in the spirit of adventure I want to get out there.

Where can I go boondock and work from with cell phone range extender and solar panels and batteries etc? Since it's the summer months, I'm pretty open to anywhere.

Thanks,
Colin

Reactions: FishinCrzy

Berkshires

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, MA, USA
First Name
K
Last Name
L
Member #

I agree with Dave K - just moved back to western MA after 7 years in northern CA, and there is nothing like camping out west. So many places to camp for free in CA, UT, OR, and WA. Nothing like that in the Northeast (or much of the country), Hipcamp can be a cheap option if you find the right place and if staying for a few days or more, can get a discount. Are you thinking of moving every day, couple days, or longer stays?

Last edited:

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Check out “Home on the highway” of Facebook. They are living in Baja now. They have been on the road for years. Did the complete Pan-American. Nice folks. They are living what you want and have been doing so.

Elena

Rank I

Contributor I

Chicago, IL
First Name
Elena
Last Name
Putt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9PYH
For various reasons I packed up and headed out west to be with family. In between seeing family I've been on the road camping for the last month or so and have had decent luck with National Forests. I've been using an app iOverlander to give me an idea of where some free spots are and then cross check it with the location's site to make sure camping is permitted. Some IOverlander posts also include the cell service status. Most of the National Forest regulations have been permitting dispersed camping and usually allow you to stay for up to 14 days.

Reactions: FishinCrzy