Staff member
Mod Team

Traveler III

Florida, USA
First Name
randy
Last Name
g
am I missing it? or would it be possible to get a subforum for full size rigs as there are a decent number of topics that are full size specific or that will have a different answer/requirement than on a smaller vehicle

Thanks for the consideration

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Can't overland in a full size truck. Don't even think about it. :tonguewink:

View attachment 119287
Ignorance is bliss, no one ever told me I couldn't, so I have been. Guess I was wrong.

Overlanding is a full size rig is even easier if the paint on your rig is already bad, no need to worry about a few scratches. I have new pin stripes all down the sides of my Suburban, but the paint job is junk so who cares?

carguyinok

Rank 0

Contributor I

N.E Oklahoma
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Shlosser
I agree with having a full sized forum section. I've been putting a lot of thought into building a FULL sized rig & it would be nice to have a section for us.

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
That looks like a fun project.
Maybe after I retire I will have time and money to do a rig like that.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Full-size Forum would be great. Thank you. I'm thinking about making an Overland Expedition Truck out of something like this picture.View attachment 120455View attachment 120456
I love that idea. It looks like it would be really a great rig. One thing I would think about though, if it ever comes to reality, is removing one axle in the rear and converting it to run the same super single that is in the front, in the rear.
Those trucks are made to haul massive loads, 10 times what you will ever want your expedition rig to weigh. A single rear axle and wheel will give more comfort, flexibility and still carry more weight than you will need.

Reactions: Lou Skannon

Lou Skannon

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Winnipeg, MB, Canada
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Skannon
I love that idea. It looks like it would be really a great rig. One thing I would think about though, if it ever comes to reality, is removing one axle in the rear and converting it to run the same super single that is in the front, in the rear.
Those trucks are made to haul massive loads, 10 times what you will ever want your expedition rig to weigh. A single rear axle and wheel will give more comfort, flexibility and still carry more weight than you will need.
That's a good idea about the super singles on the rear axles although I think I may have to get the wheels custom made.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Full-size Forum would be great. Thank you. I'm thinking about making an Overland Expedition Truck out of something like this picture.View attachment 120455View attachment 120456

I'd consider that a bit more than a full-size.

I've love my full-size and have used it for camping a ton. It's a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD, Duramax/Allison that I've modded over the years (intake/full 5" exhaust w/ DP/tune, FASS titanium lift pump/filtration, Niktane CAT fuel filter adapter on stock filter location, Cognito 4.5" lift, Sulastic shackles, F-rated 35x12.5-18" Toyo M/Ts on 18x9" Method NV HDs, Amp steps, Alpine "Perfect Fit" 8" HU, all Hertz amps/components/subs, alcantara and brushed AL interior work, probably a lot more I'm forgetting). I guess I never considered it "Overlanding" so much, but as eleventeen other threads on this forum will prove, everybody's definition of Overlanding is different.

While it does great offroad, and as I said I've used it for camping a lot, it mostly gets the job of pulling around the 5'er:

And it's also often a recovery vehicle:

Anyway, while it's still the tow-rig for our 5'er it's not my "Overlander" but I still would love to make it a full Overland build "someday." I'd love to follow all the other full size builds while I dream about building this one.

-TJ

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Late to the game, but as a different point of view, I'll toss in my two cents. From the very beginning of the Overland Bound Forum, @Michael was very specific that there would *not* be any vehicle specific forums. That would only encourage isolation and fracturing of the content and member interest. There's no Jeep, Toyota, Ford, Side-by-side, etc. forum for that very reason. It doesn't matter what you drive. I think this sets a precedent that goes against the original intent.

Food for thought,
Steve

Wampa150

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

Ignorance is bliss, no one ever told me I couldn't, so I have been. Guess I was wrong.

Overlanding is a full size rig is even easier if the paint on your rig is already bad, no need to worry about a few scratches. I have new pin stripes all down the sides of my Suburban, but the paint job is junk so who cares?
That’s why my F-150 is white. Hard to see the stripes....and dirt