Moore, OK, USA
First Name
Wesley
Last Name
Bjorklund
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5HRW
Has anyone considered purchasing a transfer tank for their rigs? I have planned out an entire setup I want to do with my bed, and with just me and the dogs, I have the space to spare in the 5ft bed of my Quad Cab Dodge Dakota. The ideas are based on going long ranges without having the need to worry about hunting for a gas station since I like to explore on my 1700 mile drive back home every other year or so.

The first idea was a 40 gallon transferflow tank underneath a diamondback bed cover with a rack and Smittybuilt RTT.

The second idea was just a transfer tank under a bed rack, holding a RTT.

The third was to just ditch the tank completely and just do a bed cover setup with a RTT.

With the fuel tank, I would still have half of my bed left plus the empty space around the tank. I'm not too worried about weight right now, I'm well under the limit of the vehicle sitting at about 4200lbs.

I'm curious to see if others have done or thought about similar setups for fuel for long rangs travels. A larger tank or 2nd tank underneath wouldn't be viable for me since the Dodge Dakota hasn't seen much aftermarket love and the extra space will already be taken by an onboard air setup and maybe a spare tire tool carrier.

Thanks in advance!

SandBadgerFG5

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Holtville, CA, USA
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
I've been thinking of similar ideas for fuel and water. I didn't see you list this, but an idea I was thinking about was putting in an aux tank in the spare tire area under the bed of my TrailBoss. I could either mount the tire on the bed rack I want or the rear bumper swing out I want. I've been looking around and there are several companies on the internet that make fuel tanks for that space. It would almost double my fuel capacity. What ever you choose to do, I wish you luck. And if you can, keep us posted. Later.

Bubba Tim

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Middleburg, FL, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Reyes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N2BBT / K4OPX
Service Branch
US Army Ranger
I have looked at many options from spare tire delete tank, transfer tanks in the bed of different sizes, even replacing the stock tank with a larger aftermarket one. It is around two grand for the parts and labor. What I have come up with is 6 gerry cans of diesel and a 12volt transfer pump.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

20L Fuel can..... 5 gallons of gas gets me an additional 75 miles. I use one of the shake siphon hoses and just sit the can on the bed rail. No moving parts, I can leave the can and hose at home for daily driver usage.