Rank III

Enthusiast III

Ashburn, Virginia, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

I am considering an FTM 300 radio for the rig. I'd like to have it set up so I beacon away with APRS but have a PL Tone of 100.0 turned on. On a Kenwood this is done to allow you to beacon without hearing it but allow someone nearby to call you on 144.39 so you can make contact and move to another channel. Does the FTM300 have a way of doing this?

Thanks!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I am considering an FTM 300 radio for the rig. I'd like to have it set up so I beacon away with APRS but have a PL Tone of 100.0 turned on. On a Kenwood this is done to allow you to beacon without hearing it but allow someone nearby to call you on 144.39 so you can make contact and move to another channel. Does the FTM300 have a way of doing this?

Thanks!
From my understanding no, I haven’t personally use the 300, and only know one person with the rig. I’ll ask him and get back to you

Reactions: Frdmskr

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

Thanks!
I got a hold of N7OLI, and he said he can’t get pl times to wot with APRS on the FTM-300

Frdmskr

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Ashburn, Virginia, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

Thanks!
I got a hold of N7OLI, and he said he can’t get pl times to wot with APRS on the FTM-300

Thanks. That is unfortunate it’s not set up that way. I guess there are work arounds. Thanks!

Reactions: M Rose

KyleGrant

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wichita, KS
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Soldani
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KSØTOR
You may consider the FTM400. I can't speak for the 300 as I don't own one, but I have a couple 400's. This APRS method is called APRS Voice Alert, but it isn't very fancy... it's just the PL tone attached to break squelch on your end when another user is within range. On mine I dedicate VFO A to whatever frequency I'm operating on, VFO B is APRS and I just added the PL tone on TX and RX, I then leave my volume turned up on VFO B. Not sure why the FTM300 wouldn't do this as it has two VFO's and individual volumes, but again, I don't own one.