Forestry Trunk Road, Alberta

• HTML tutorial

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

I think that's the third or fourth area I've ever heard of named chain lakes in this province. lol

The one you're talking is probably more official being a provincial park and all. But there's one at:
52°34'18.10"N, 113°24'49.83"W (North of Clive, AB) Don't swim there. Terrible leeches. :-)
One way north at 54°57'44.20"N, 113°30'17.02"W, and apparently a provincial recreation area too.
I thought there was one by Edson, but I can't find it on a map. :-)

Looks like nice country!

TimelapseYYC

Rank 0

Traveler I

Calgary
060A0176-DB27-4508-A074-1ABFC530A658.jpeg Hello, I am from Calgary, Alberta

I would love to learn new trails to explore and get into overlanding more. I have moderate off-roading experience nothing to tricky as I am usually out on my own, lots of Mclean creek, and around crowsnrst castle pluz area.
I am a photographer so getting out to shoot would be great.
I drive a 2011 Tacoma sb with some upgrades suspension icon stage 3 kit.

Sp00ky

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hey I take an annual road trip and spent some time around the Livingston Falls Recreation Area, fly fishing the Livingston River. I’ve been doing this trip for ten years in a Jeep Liberty, and really put it through its paces. Traded it in for 2014 wrangler and I’m looking to put it through a good work out this summer. I also picked up a Rock Climber Tent trailer... 15” clearance and a solid skid plate underneath, looking forward to dragging it along too.

I plan to start in Mclean, and I’m semi familiar with the main roads off the Forest Trunk rd , I’m looking for some easy to moderate trails for good, out of the way, Random camping...and hoping for No Fire Bans this year.
Thanks
Spooky

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Carnivore

MapJunkie

Rank I

Enthusiast I

We are planning to do the Forestry Trunk Road (700 km gravel) from Crowsnest Pass to Jasper in August.

How bad are the Porcupines in the Alberta side of the Rockies? I have read that you have to carry chicken wire to protect your vehicle in the Kootenay Rockies (St. Marys, Bugaboos, etc). I have heard stories of people leaving their vehicle at a trailhead only to find two flat tires, and chewed brake lines when they returned.

Do you carry chicken wire with you in Alberta?

Brian
Walla Walla, WA

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

X2. I’ve never had a porcupine problem... Unless you run over one. Then it’s like running over a small rock that sticks quills into everything. That can be a problem.

Last edited:

MapJunkie

Rank I

Enthusiast I

This is great to hear. Thanks. I was worried that I would have to armor up every time I parked. Here is a picture from the Bugaboo Provincial Parking lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

@Cappy410 and @vagabondexpedition, or others
Any advice for finding nice camps near Limestone Mountain? Is it best to stay next to the Trunk Road or are the places off it along the trail to Limestone Mountain. We'll be sleeping inside the vehicle, so OK if exposed, is hungering down on the ridge feasible?
You’ll find some good spots along the road to limestone. There are plenty of clearings along there that are good camping. There’s Also a good spot 2/3 of the way up limestone.

You can certainly camp at the top if you want but if a bit of a wind gets going there won’t be any protection.

Reactions: titicaca

titicaca

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Calgary
You’ll find some good spots along the road to limestone. There are plenty of clearings along there that are good camping. There’s Also a good spot 2/3 of the way up limestone.

You can certainly camp at the top if you want but if a bit of a wind gets going there won’t be any protection.
Thanks. Just reporting overnighting was great on the ridge and no wind over the weekend was lucky and probably isn’t the norm. Limestone Mountain is the main attraction in the area so you'll get to see a few groups of quads, and hikers go by. There are trees to shelter a tent if required. The road in the valley on the west side of Limestone Mountain continues for another 12km, dead-ends in a very nice spot on the creek was occupied by a large group of trailers, as were other clearings, but plenty of places to camp.

20180728_212100.jpg

titicaca

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Calgary
Got myself spooked on the Trunk Road north of Coleman in the depths of winter!

P1080616small.JPG

As the warning sign said this road may not be maintained in winter. I decided to follow a someone’s track late in the day as detour on the way home. Bad idea doing it just solo with the family. Two kilometres in, with 20 km more of the unknown to Hwy 517/Old Man River junction, my back axle slid off the track and off edge of the road. Muscled it back on the track with rear and front axles locked. With tail between my legs we went back. I have now unfinished business - this could be epic fun if done the right way.

Reactions: grover

TexasTJ

Rank I

Enthusiast I

We will be driving from Texas up to Glacier NP last week of June and get into Canada on June 27th. We have 5 days to spend in the area and will be headed back south on July 2nd. I know I want to drive the FTR and wouldn't mind an mild/moderate trail ride for our 17 4Runner w/ a winch. My wife wants to check out Louise, Maligne, Johnston Canyon & Cave, Liard Hot Springs. Mostly looking for camping reservations since we are planning this trip so late.