Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

California, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
S
Personally, I have found myself far more likely to get a jeep wave response from a jeep in the country than in the cities of the Bay Area. I love the tradition and don't mind the poor response rate from my neighboring jeep owners in the surrounding Bay Area cities. Just getting one jeep owner to respond per driving trip is enough for me. There is hope for the rest!

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

Some of the TJ & YJ folks don't wave at JKU's because 4 doors don't = Jeep apparently.

I live in the country, so we tend to wave at folks a lot.
I think we got tired of being ignored by JKs. This came up in another thread and the JKU very much expanded the demographics of the typical Jeep driver, as it was intended to do. When it first came out it was even offered in a 2WD only version and this was seen as heresy by traditionalists. The JKU in many was has become the new soccer mom vehicle of choice.

If a JK is lifted there is a good chance you'll get a wave, unless it's a mall crawler...then the chances are 50/50. If its bone stock, dollars to donuts you won't get a wave back. When a JK waves at a TJ/YJ/CJ, it probably surprises the hell out of them catching them off guard.

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
I think we got tired of being ignored by JKs. This came up in another thread and the JKU very much expanded the demographics of the typical Jeep driver, as it was intended to do. When it first came out it was even offered in a 2WD only version and this was seen as heresy by traditionalists. The JKU in many was has become the new soccer mom vehicle of choice.

If a JK is lifted there is a good chance you'll get a wave, unless it's a mall crawler...then the chances are 50/50. If its bone stock, dollars to donuts you won't get a wave back. When a JK waves at a TJ/YJ/CJ, it probably surprises the hell out of them catching them off guard.
Let's get real for a second....
Who's waving at this guy?
Are we positive "It doesn't matter what you drive"? ;-)
IMG_4795.PNG

Last edited:

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
I've found myself wanting there to be an "Overlander Wave". So many jeeps are set up for rock crawling (they're easy to spot), and I just don't have that much in common with them. I get more excited to see a really well set up FJ Cruiser, Land Rover, Pathfinder, GX470, Land Cruiser, 4Runner, XTerra, Tacoma, etc. (basically, any combination of roof rack, Highlift Jack, limb lifters, snorkel, winch, aux fuel, aux lights, lift, and off-road tires). I even wave at Adventure Motorcyclist!!!

Last edited:

Comanche

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Goodyear, Arizona
Member #

Every other car in Phoenix is a Jeep. If you tried to wave at everyone your arm would go numb. I save it for the back roads and trails, but then I extend the wave to every vehicle I meet off road.

Reactions: Kelly

87comanche

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

oklahoma city
Member #

lol talking about lack of jeep waves , i drive an 87 jeep comanche most of the tj,yj,jku etc etc i don't think they even know how to wave in my area or they just don't know about jeep trucks , but on the other hand almost all the xj cherokee guys wave like crazy when they see a manche lol , but i would agree that it does seem the jeep wave thing is a dying art sad , i wave at every jeep i see weather they wave back or not .