Contributor III

Southwest Ohio
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
B80
Service Branch
ARMY
Hello folks. My name is Dustin. Im in Southwest Ohio and am just starting to dip my toes into truck camping. I currently have a 30' RV named The Drunk Tank. I am going to be selling it b/c I don't use it enough and gas prices are ridiculous. I currently have a 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie but will be downgrading to a 1500.

Im planning on getting a truck topper/shell and outfitting the bed of the truck for camping with the dog. Might let the wife come along too at some point.

A little about me aside from my plans, Im 42 years old, spent 8 years in the US ARMY. Joined in 1999, got out in 2007. I work as a Technical Writer at The Gorilla Glue company and LOVE LOVE LOVE my job. Im married and don't have kids of my own, 23 y/o Step son though. Just recently had to put my German Shepherd dog Gunner down after 12 years but will be filling that void with another German Shepherd in just a few weeks. Im no stranger to forums. Im on an Outdoors forum in Ohio, have been for about 10 years and those folks have quickly become family. We 3-4 outings every year and its always like a family reunion.

My build isn't going to be taking place anytime soon as I need to sell the camper and then find my new truck before I get started. My jumping off point is going to be finding the camper shell I want. (LEER, A.R.E etc) Then figuring out the layout and configuration of the bed.

I look forward to browsing the threads and taking any and all advice I can get from yall.

-Dustin

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hello folks. My name is Dustin. Im in Southwest Ohio and am just starting to dip my toes into truck camping. I currently have a 30' RV named The Drunk Tank. I am going to be selling it b/c I don't use it enough and gas prices are ridiculous. I currently have a 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie but will be downgrading to a 1500.

Im planning on getting a truck topper/shell and outfitting the bed of the truck for camping with the dog. Might let the wife come along too at some point.

A little about me aside from my plans, Im 42 years old, spent 8 years in the US ARMY. Joined in 1999, got out in 2007. I work as a Technical Writer at The Gorilla Glue company and LOVE LOVE LOVE my job. Im married and don't have kids of my own, 23 y/o Step son though. Just recently had to put my German Shepherd dog Gunner down after 12 years but will be filling that void with another German Shepherd in just a few weeks. Im no stranger to forums. Im on an Outdoors forum in Ohio, have been for about 10 years and those folks have quickly become family. We 3-4 outings every year and its always like a family reunion.

My build isn't going to be taking place anytime soon as I need to sell the camper and then find my new truck before I get started. My jumping off point is going to be finding the camper shell I want. (LEER, A.R.E etc) Then figuring out the layout and configuration of the bed.

I look forward to browsing the threads and taking any and all advice I can get from yall.

-Dustin
I wouldn’t downgrade to a 1500 from a 2500… it’s very easy to overbuild an overland rig and max out your hauling capacity. We generally recommend using what you have.

Reactions: Dustinb80

Dustinb80

Rank I

Contributor III

Southwest Ohio
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
B80
Service Branch
ARMY
I wouldn’t downgrade to a 1500 from a 2500… it’s very easy to overbuild an overland rig and max out your hauling capacity. We generally recommend using what you have.
Well the bed seems to be a bit shallower in the 2500. And Im only 5'7" so getting in and out inst real easy with the bigger 2500. Thats the only reason for downgrading trucks.

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Well the bed seems to be a bit shallower in the 2500. And Im only 5'7" so getting in and out inst real easy with the bigger 2500. Thats the only reason for downgrading trucks.
Welcome to the Forum!

If thats the only reason it will likely be easier and cheaper to get one of the tailgate latters, hitch step or corner step for the 2500.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

-Dustin
Welcome to Overland Bound Dustin
You can use the Member Map to find other members and events in your area. You can also send a message directly from the map to other members. A great resource in your area is @Ohio Valley Overland
RESOURCE MAP
Adventure and Expedition Tutorials
Overland Bound One App Adventure and Expedition Tutorials
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Midwest Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
Check out Overland Expo https://www.OverlandExpo.com
Here is a Midwest expo in MO MOORE EXPO April 8-10, 2022
If you have any questions don't hesitate to message me, hopefully I can get you going in the right direction. @Kent R or Kent@OverlandBound.com

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Dustin, welcome to Overland Bound, and thank you for your service! I also am in the keep your 2500 club. Chances are if you go with a 1500 you will end up with some type of suspension, bigger tires etc and have a tall truck bed acess anyway. If you are going to be using the truck bed as a camper, consider on of the canopies with a full rear door in place of liftgate and tailgate, allows you to use your step bumper, and or a hitch step and makes it easier to get in a and out all around. You could even spoil yourself and get a canopy camper with pop top and overhead bed, alu-cab canopy cabin depending on lenght of your truck bed. you will most likely be happy if you keep the extra capacity of the 2500.

Overland Omnivore

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Investor

Explorer I

New Albany, IN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Price
Member #

-Dustin
You should come to AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days this weekend at Mid Ohio Raceway. I’ll be there with a bunch of other overlanders indulging our vintage motorcycle sides. Just ask for the Kentucky Korner. (You’ll see a OB banner flying as well…it’s a party so be ready for a bash!

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Dont downgrade to a 1500. Big mistake. Get another Ram 2500 or Ford F250 fx4 or Tremor.

The Fords front axle is auto locker ready. Combined with the OEM rear Elocker, and its unstoppable. Add a free spin kit to the Rams, and it is as well.

ARE makes caps with a taller rear that's easier to get into. 6" taller than cab iirc.

Also consider the Capris Cowboy. Caps are half way to the cost of a camper, so why not? Get roof top AC for it though.

Dustinb80

Rank I

Contributor III

Southwest Ohio
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
B80
Service Branch
ARMY
You should come to AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days this weekend at Mid Ohio Raceway. I’ll be there with a bunch of other overlanders indulging our vintage motorcycle sides. Just ask for the Kentucky Korner. (You’ll see a OB banner flying as well…it’s a party so be ready for a bash!
I would be down for that for sure but will be at a huge function with a bunch of buddies starting Thursday running all weekend.

ZRex

Rank VII
Launch Member

Explorer I

Elizabethton, TN
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klepp
Member #

Welcome to OB Dustin! We're glad to have you here and look forward to seeing what you decide and the subsequent build!

Cheers,
Mike

Dustinb80

Rank I

Contributor III

Southwest Ohio
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
B80
Service Branch
ARMY
Welcome to OB Dustin! We're glad to have you here and look forward to seeing what you decide and the subsequent build!

Cheers,
Mike
Thanks. Its not going to be as extreme as I see most of the builds on here. Pretty simple and mobile for the most part. At least thats the plan as of now. Just a sleeping platform, a drawer or 2 not even sure if Im going to run batteries or solar or anything too in depth. Ive found a bunch of great videos online, especially Solid Wood Worx out in Cali. I wish there was someone like him near me that I could meet up with.

Reactions: ZRex

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hello Dustin, welcome to the OB family and thank you for your service.

Trout Bumming

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Wind River Range, Wyoming, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Quigley
Member #

Service Branch
Game Warden
Dustin, welcome from the Wind River Mountains in Wyoming. Thank you for your service to all of us. German Shepards are such amazing dogs. As a game warden I worked with several over the years. I travel and camp with a Belgium Malinois. That sounds like some cool writing work. You get out Yellowstone way stop in and say howdy. Welcome to OB. Mark