Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Northern Virginia
First Name
Matt
Last Name
G
Member #

Hello all, I just joined the forum and found one of my new favorite threads. I would consider myself a novice Fly Fisherman, but I absolutely love it and honestly, I find it a bit therapeutic. Once your out on the water and just getting in the rhythm of casting (and casting and casting) everything else just seems to go away. I live in Virginia and we have quite a few good spots, but somehow most of my fishing has been elsewhere; Colorado, West Virginia, Maryland, Michigan and Pennsylvania. I'm currently running a Sage 9' 5wt that I picked up on sale in Breckenridge on one of my trips out there. I see a 9' 8wt in my future to go after some steelies. I'm still learning all the types of flys, so I can't really say what is my favorite. I usually hit up a local fly shop buy what they recommend and hopefully get a little intel after spending some cash. These are the last couple trips I've done. First one is nice little largemouth on a popper. The last two photos was from a trip to Michigan with some buddies. They landed, I did not. :( Can't wait to break this quarantine and get back out there. I think the Carolinas will be next on the list.
5B04525D-9F4F-4B28-9A3F-53125049B1D7_1_105_c.jpeg1ACA877D-062D-41DD-A27A-EF85A667BAAB_1_105_c.jpegF30CC5F4-FFDE-4A58-90FF-660AE6AE2129_1_105_c.jpeg2553867E-F3D2-424D-97D4-209964BAD0B6_1_105_c.jpeg

iamdrglass

Rank 0

Traveler I

Idaho
That area is on my bucket list. I've hit some of N Idaho. If you have access to PRIME video, search for Fly Highway for some good eye candy across SE Idaho. Also, have the Owyhee on my radar in S Idaho.
When I lived in the Boise area we fished the Owyhee quite a bit. At that time you could just drive up and down the road and find what ever stretch to fish you wanted to fish. The word got out and it got a lot busier, but it still fished good. The last time I fished it about 15ish years ago, we got ran off by lighting. The 30 min of thunder and dead calm eeriness prior to having lighting striking with in a 100yds and hair on my arms and neck standing up was probably the best I ever had. I landed 3 browns back to back in the 18-20" class. The hour prior we landed several other real nice fish. I was stripping nasty streamers and my buddy was throwing bluefox spinners and the browns were on the hunt.......We would have rode the storm out but when that lighting started hitting so close we decided f@#$ this we could actually die.

If you come down to the Owyhee also check out the S.F. of the Boise river. It used to be really good as well for that region. Look at the Idaho Atlas and plan your route through Prairie area. There is a ton of private property but it is a beautiful drive. I would come in from Mountain Home and camp along the river where you can then drive back out through Prairie, Id.

Influencer II

West Hills, Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Twomey
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Hi all, fly fishing is the reason why I bought a Jeep, which is the reason I started over landing, which is the reason why I joined this group :-). For every action, there is a reaction. I love in the SoCal area (north of Los Angeles); my home waters are in the eastern Sierra mountains. Favorites are Owens River, Hot Creek, Rock Creek Lake. Tons of of road trails in the Sierra which i am looking forward to exploring and finding new streams / lakes off the beaten path.

LRL2020

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Pleasant Hill, CA, USA
First Name
Lance
Last Name
Leibnitz
Member #

I didn't think there was much interest here in fly fishing before but after seeing a few other's posts in various threads it appears I'm not the only one here hooked on it. (Pun very much intended)
So, Fly Fishermen and Women, show yourselves! Where is your home water, what's your favorite catch, what's your favorite fly?

I'll start.
I'm Chris
My true home water is in New Hampshire but my new home water is now Central Texas.
I've always loved Rainbow Trout but I am finding myself targeting Redfish a lot down here.
My favorite fly is an olive damsel concoction I've been working on. Its pretty productive on rivers and creeks here in the hill country.

Hey Chris! Northern California is my home town. Here’s a pic of a rainbow from the McCloud River Also routinely fish Hat Creek and the Pit River. I too am hooked...OB 22620.
142A27BC-67AC-4B9E-89C5-85F0616296A6.jpeg

Reactions: Big G

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
Hi all, fly fishing is the reason why I bought a Jeep, which is the reason I started over landing, which is the reason why I joined this group :-). For every action, there is a reaction. I love in the SoCal area (north of Los Angeles); my home waters are in the eastern Sierra mountains. Favorites are Owens River, Hot Creek, Rock Creek Lake. Tons of of road trails in the Sierra which i am looking forward to exploring and finding new streams / lakes off the beaten path.
Welcome Michael, to the OB community.

Dr Gil

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Gil
Last Name
Kajiki
@mf2mey Hey Welcome. We're neighbors. I'm off of Burbank and Valley Circle. When this whole mess is over, let's take our rigs up to Kern Plateau and South Fork of Kern and do some Golden Trout dry fly fishing!!

Reactions: Jeepin It Simple

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
Dang, i was just thinking about a thread like this today. Got into fly fishing about 18 months ago and been loving it ever since. Started with a free Orvis class and hit the water. I've absolutely loved every minute of it. I've fished mostly in my home state of NC, but did manage to get some fly fishing in on a trip out to Arizona. Everyone thought i was nuts trying to fly fish in the desert but low and behold i had a blast. Found the Tanto national forest and hit the water. Everyone else using regular spinning reels and tackle wasn't catching dink all day. I nailed a couple of while i was out wandering through the desert no issue. Fly Fishing is definitely an escape for me. When i'm out and i know there is a fish in the area.... everything else disappears. The work life, the stress around the home, anything... and it's just you vs the fish. I've enjoyed it so much i'm trying to parlay several years of experience in the tactical nylon world and gear making into a company making and selling US made fly fishing gear. Hopefully i can get it going enough to get me the hell out of corporate america. Got tired of seeing all the cheaply made Chinese gear with companies who either don't stand behind their product or charge exuberant prices because they can. I won't post it here as i don't want to violate any community guidelines but i've been enjoying it thusfar!

One thing i love about overlanding is i feel it parlay's soooo much into the fly fishing world of getting out there, exploring and the adventurous, nomadic mindset. Tight Lines y'all!

iamdrglass

Rank 0

Traveler I

Idaho
Dang, i was just thinking about a thread like this today. Got into fly fishing about 18 months ago and been loving it ever since. Started with a free Orvis class and hit the water. I've absolutely loved every minute of it. I've fished mostly in my home state of NC, but did manage to get some fly fishing in on a trip out to Arizona. Everyone thought i was nuts trying to fly fish in the desert but low and behold i had a blast. Found the Tanto national forest and hit the water. Everyone else using regular spinning reels and tackle wasn't catching dink all day. I nailed a couple of while i was out wandering through the desert no issue. Fly Fishing is definitely an escape for me. When i'm out and i know there is a fish in the area.... everything else disappears. The work life, the stress around the home, anything... and it's just you vs the fish. I've enjoyed it so much i'm trying to parlay several years of experience in the tactical nylon world and gear making into a company making and selling US made fly fishing gear. Hopefully i can get it going enough to get me the hell out of corporate america. Got tired of seeing all the cheaply made Chinese gear with companies who either don't stand behind their product or charge exuberant prices because they can. I won't post it here as i don't want to violate any community guidelines but i've been enjoying it thusfar!

One thing i love about overlanding is i feel it parlay's soooo much into the fly fishing world of getting out there, exploring and the adventurous, nomadic mindset. Tight Lines y'all!
Congrats on the business idea. Send me a P.M. with a link to your site. Me and my boys are always looking for different gear.......Are you doing kydex and nylon stuff? We may need to field test some stuff here in S.E. iDAHO.
Dan

Reactions: Maverick9110E

Influencer II

West Hills, Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Twomey
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
overriding
@mf2mey Hey Welcome. We're neighbors. I'm off of Burbank and Valley Circle. When this whole mess is over, let's take our rigs up to Kern Plateau and South Fork of Kern and do some Golden Trout dry fly fishing!!
Definitely, I am Roscoe / Woodlake - we are practically neighbors. Was up to Menache Meadows about 2 years ago and have been wanting to go back in late-summer and fish the Kern.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Gil

VI Overlander

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Fanny Bay BC Canada
Ham/GMRS Callsign
chernoble

Let me know if you need someone for RD, I am a guide and instructor here in my local. I 100 percent support USA/Canada products

XJ on the FLY

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fremont, CA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Hinton
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YWM
Hi all, I just joined OB this week and man, was I happy to find this thread!
I am planning a trip to the McLoud River (near Mt. Shasta) whenever this Covid crap gets behind us. (shooting for early to mid July)

I will post up when I get a date nailed down, in case anyone wants to meet up there.

Reactions: FishinCrzy

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
My wife is competing in the Iron Man Triathlon in Panama City Beach, FL on Saturday, November 7th. I have the opportunity to go in a few days early and/or stay a few days after. I have never fished in Florida and would like to get some time on the water, but don't know much at all about the area. I may be able to swing a day or two of guided fishing & I'd like to get some surf fishing in as we will be staying at a hotel on the beach. I'm also planning to bring my own gear as I have a little bit of everything, as long as what I have is appropriate. I'm not real picky about what I fish for or what gear I use, as I just love fishing of all kinds. That being said, I'm more into light line, catch & release type fishing & fly fishing.

I'll be spending some time perusing the internet, but getting first hand local knowledge is always better...

Any info. or suggestions on what to fish for and roughly where to go would be greatly appreciated.

SleipnirTheJeep

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Warrenton, VA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Blake
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Hello all, I just joined the forum and found one of my new favorite threads. I would consider myself a novice Fly Fisherman, but I absolutely love it and honestly, I find it a bit therapeutic. Once your out on the water and just getting in the rhythm of casting (and casting and casting) everything else just seems to go away. I live in Virginia and we have quite a few good spots, but somehow most of my fishing has been elsewhere; Colorado, West Virginia, Maryland, Michigan and Pennsylvania. I'm currently running a Sage 9' 5wt that I picked up on sale in Breckenridge on one of my trips out there. I see a 9' 8wt in my future to go after some steelies. I'm still learning all the types of flys, so I can't really say what is my favorite. I usually hit up a local fly shop buy what they recommend and hopefully get a little intel after spending some cash. These are the last couple trips I've done. First one is nice little largemouth on a popper. The last two photos was from a trip to Michigan with some buddies. They landed, I did not. :( Can't wait to break this quarantine and get back out there. I think the Carolinas will be next on the list.
View attachment 149625View attachment 149622View attachment 149624View attachment 149623

Fly fishing is one of the symbiotic benefits of me getting into overlanding. Glad to see someone else from NOVA on here that is into both. I just started a few years ago as a prank from my wife and friends but jokes on them because now in addition to owning a Jeep (Just Empty Every Pocket) and also spend everything on fly fishing. Two never ending hobbies that could bankrupt even Jeff Bezos! Like you I find it therapeutic once I get into a rhythm. Have only fished here in Virginia but smallies on the Rappahannock with a 5 wt is my favorite. I all ready have 2 trout trips planned in the rig this fall. Looking forward to those, especially the catch and cook.

Fly Guy

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Pocomoke City, MD, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Turner
Member #

So, I've been keeping to my roots and making yearly trips back to NM, CO, and AZ to chase trout, even though I've been on the eastern seaboard for more than a decade. Looking at the Ausable River in NY and wondering if late fall, last half of Sept vacation, would be worth the trip? I figure I can get several "extra" days fishing versus traveling. Any local insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

RainierandTacos

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Marysville, WA, USA
First Name
CHRISTOPHER
Last Name
P
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0SRK
I'm new to fly fishing. Home waters for the moment are wherever I can toss out a line. Caught my first two fish on a fly rod yesterday, a couple of largemouth that weren't much bigger than my hand on an olive wooly bugger. I was fishing a pond a few minutes away from home. I don't think I've ever smiled as much as I did when I hooked onto that first little guy, so I think I'm hooked now. Looking forward to growing my skills and seeing some beautiful places doing it.

iamdrglass

Rank 0

Traveler I

Idaho
I'm new to fly fishing. Home waters for the moment are wherever I can toss out a line. Caught my first two fish on a fly rod yesterday, a couple of largemouth that weren't much bigger than my hand on an olive wooly bugger. I was fishing a pond a few minutes away from home. I don't think I've ever smiled as much as I did when I hooked onto that first little guy, so I think I'm hooked now. Looking forward to growing my skills and seeing some beautiful places doing it.
If the small bass put a grin on your face start researching carp. Olive buggers will work on probably every thing that swims. Overlanding to me is just the mean's necessary to haul gear to the body of water or the sage brush to hunt.

Reactions: SleipnirTheJeep

Fly_hippie

Rank III
Launch Member

Member II

Dawson County, GA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Live near the Appalachian Trail in North Georgia. My home water is the Amicalola river in Dawson County. There is a ton of fishable water in this area. Most of my overlanding trips revolve around fishing. Up here we mostly find stocked rainbows but my favorite is to find native browns blue lining. I use a 5 ft vintage Fenwick fiberglass rod on small streams because of the overgrowth and an Orvis Clearwater 9ft on more open water. My favorite rigs are one fly drys and single wooly buggers.

RainierandTacos

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Marysville, WA, USA
First Name
CHRISTOPHER
Last Name
P
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0SRK
If the small bass put a grin on your face start researching carp. Olive buggers will work on probably every thing that swims. Overlanding to me is just the mean's necessary to haul gear to the body of water or the sage brush to hunt.
For sure. I'm sure I'll end up trying to catch anything and everything I can with a fly rod now. I can't say for sure what it was, I probably wouldn't have given those little bass a second thought if I had caught them on a spinning rod. It was just so satisfying on the fly rod.

Reactions: WJ - Firefly