Florida- Withlacoochee State Forest

• HTML tutorial

CharlieTheRedd

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Sanford, FL, USA
Member #

Hey there, I'm interested. I'm camping with scouts and the kids the weekend before, but, it has me looking to do another trip already and I'm looking to do some more local stuff as well.

Is there still camping available, what sort of exploring are you hoping to be getting into?

Farmjeepwrangler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Brandon
First Name
Ross
Last Name
Bruno
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRFG288
There are sites in the primitive hunt camp, you would need a hunting license and a WMA permit, $10.00/ night. There are walk up sites in the full facility side but first come first serve. We just took a day long ride there yesterday. trails are mild to wild and the wild parts have bypass trails around the technical parts, so it’s really up to you.

CharlieTheRedd

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Sanford, FL, USA
Member #

That sounds like a lot of fun. I was just up wheeling at hardrock last weekend, still definitely on the side of n00b. Where is your skill level on the trails at? Where are you planning on camping at (primitives vs the wma permit ones?).

Farmjeepwrangler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Brandon
First Name
Ross
Last Name
Bruno
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRFG288
I’m camping at the primitive WMA hunt camp. My skill level is moderate. I’m not looking to see if my rig floats or how much punishment it can take. I think Robert and Ruben are the same mind set.

CharlieTheRedd

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Sanford, FL, USA
Member #

Your jeep def will float for a minute :)

Do you have a handy link for looking into the WMA hunt camping? Looks like Sa->Su "normal" camping is fully booked still via the one link (I can't post here yet).

I'm not super far from there, maybe 1.5 hours or so? If I can't get camping figured out maybe I'll meet you up for a day of wheeling.

Farmjeepwrangler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Brandon
First Name
Ross
Last Name
Bruno
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRFG288
You won’t be able to find any info on the hunt camp online”it’s a secret” Robert Ewing has a site there all season. He said there are about 70 sites and is never full. But you need to be licensed to hunt and have WMA permit which is purchase when you buy your license. If you want you can ride up on Saturday. We will start around 11am.... maybe.
https://myfwc.com/hunting/wma-faqs/

Last edited:

Stepsride

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Palm Harbor FL
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Stepkoski
Member #

I am going to have to bail. I am stuck in the mid-west and cannot get a flight out until Friday late. It is a balmy -25 right now.