Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Well if there is a way to f- ck things up, this State is at the top of the list. Several years ago they started their own reservation system dumping Reserve America that was a disaster, now this. We stopped going to them, worn out, rat infested , dumps. Paradise lost……..

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Florida State Parks adding Motels and Golf Courses

and the overland industry will be ready! :grinning:

sand traps a problem? not anymore!
1724416391635.png

feeling a little sleepy on the back 9? pull over and take a nap the overland way!
1724421792875.png

Last edited:

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
As a resident, imagine visiting one of your once great and favorite state parks to have to argue with an out of state contractor, one escaping their winter, about your reservation. Let alone the fact that most of the best State Parks are booked out for the winter almost a year out. I personally think Florida should adopt the West Coast system of charging more for out of state visitors.

Long before Reserve America the Florida State Parks had their own online system that was better. It was geared more for the camper than the State, probably why they replaced it and heaped on more fees. I totally agree that those running the Parks are continually degrading what they once were. I can somewhat relate to their issue though. As long as non-residents keep maxing out reservations they will add whatever is necessary to expand revenue. While I prefer less infrastructure, there isn't a large enough population to support an expansion of non-electric sites. Most regular campers want full amenities. Those that sit at the table to make the decisions are bureaucrats and always break favor to maximize revenue. Toss in some lobbyists, contractors, department head connections and it will always result in maximum spend with minimum return...even though the initial plan being voted on will show a high rate of return. As creep reduces profits the paper pushers don't care and won't raise any concerns because they only care about getting in their time and their pension. This is true for practically every facet of society. Everything is eroding, not just the Florida State Parks.