Launch Member

Explorer I

Sedalia Mo
First Name
Terran
Last Name
Mace
Member #

I'd like to hear any opinions on the different jacks and your experiences. What do you run and why.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
not another jack thread, haven’t we beaten this horse to death. Here are 4 semi recent jack threads found with the word “Jack”

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
High Lift jack - heavy, bulky, needs care in use (can be hazardous in inexperienced hands), needs proper lift points, needs good support, however more practical in deep mud (although I would seek to drive out of the mud then use bottle jacks), can be used for more than just jacking.

Exhaust jack - bulky, not exactly "heavy" but does weigh a fair amount, can be damaged if care is not taken to avoid sharp protrusions, we had one and never used it (came with the vehicle we bought, sold it with the vehicle when we sold it)

Bottle jack(s) - far less space needed to carry one (or two), lighter than a high lift jack and perhaps than an exhaust jack, needs good support, can be inconvenient to place under the vehicle in some circumstances. We carry, and use, two (sometimes need to use the smaller to lift to the point at which we can use the bigger one)

Built-in jacks - brilliant system, had this on my MGs (1947, 1948, 1951), and don;t understand why they're no longer used, at least in vehicles which don't go off road (I can see that the travel required off road may be more than makes sense)

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Just to be clear, I have successfully used this wheel attachment on five separate vehicles, and actually find it much safer than jacking on, for example, a slider.

HiLiftLiftMateWheel.jpg

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I use them all for different reasons. I like to keep my hi lift on the farm where it belongs. I use bottle jacks from time to time but they never last more than a year or 2 with me. I wouldnt trust an exhaust jack for what I drive and where I go, if I were mostly in the desert or swamp I'd consider it. My favorite go to jack are my scissor jacks they have a high enough lift, fold flat, light weight and I can carry more than 1 its nice having extra stands.

Its good to have them all for different things so go get one of each and try them out, maybe you drive a small jeep and can make use of a hilift to change a tire maybe you drive something bigger and need something else.
After lifting your ride a few times with them all you will figure out pretty quick which one is for you.
If its just for the offroad looks of course you have to get a farm jack to be cool.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I like to keep my hi lift on the farm where it belongs....
If its just for the offroad looks of course you have to get a farm jack to be cool.
tenor.gif

This coming from the first person ever to imply scissor jacks are as safe as bottle jacks.

Last edited:

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

View attachment 179737

This coming from the first person ever to imply scissor jacks are as safe as bottle jacks.

well first you quote me about farm jacks then you start on about scissor vs bottle jacks.
Have you ever even changed your car tire?
I really don't give a shit what you use its your rig and your life not mine.
I suppose you didn't know that high lifts only have a 4660 lb weight rating and they fail at 7000lbs nor that you can get scissor jacks with rating over 20,000 lb hell any f250 in a junk yard will have a 10 ton scissor jack sitting in it. So yeah my 4, 10 ton scissor jacks are safer and can hold more than your farm jack or the rusted out big red bottle jack thats gonna leak oil everywhere the first time you use it in wet weather.

I'll bet you think a 9k winch is better than a 13k winch too

If you want to fight ill be your huckleberry.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
My hilift is for winching and bead breaking. Everybody bags on the weight and size of a hilift, but it's way lighter than a corroded winch and bumper. And it can be properly mounted within the wheelbase of a vehicle, not on the front bumper.

I use Ford Superduty OEM bottle jacks. Mechanical, no oil to leak out. Strong enough to lift a 10,000# truck easy. And more throw than any other lightweight jack. Cheap, $20, junk yard.

Reactions: Lindenwood

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Just to be clear, I have successfully used this wheel attachment on five separate vehicles, and actually find it much safer than jacking on, for example, a slider.

View attachment 179228

While a hi-lift will work as is, having the proper accessory will make it safer and easier. As the picture shows, these accessories work, and give a more secure lift, than a bumper without a 'pocket' or a steel slider. As was mentioned, using the jack on a slider by itself is probably not the best idea unless you have a better option's. The product that makes it safer is a product made for sliders. A Trasheroo 'JAK-JAW' or the offering from Lotus Development, along with others. 1607888035957.png1607888204125.png

Personally, I would try to use a bottle jack as my first tool, under a vehicle (sans recovery boards), after that, I would try the tool that most likely would fit the situation, whatever it might be, a come-along, etc. The lift bag as mentioned above seems to have more downside than up in most cases, unless it's in ideal conditions for avoiding a vehicles undercarrige sharp edges.

Also, look at your trip parameters as many mentioned above. Put together a recovery kit based on the 'overlanding' you do. Update it (add) as your trip's evolve.

Reactions: Lindenwood