Launch Member

Explorer I

Sedalia Mo
First Name
Terran
Last Name
Mace
Member #

I could use some help before I take my rig in to a professional. Currently on a cross country trip.. I have a 1996 ford ranger 4.0L V6 XLT. 3in lift on 33's. The old leaf springs in the rear were original and flat and my rear end squatted bad the original springs were a 3 pack and I installed a 4 pack but after I was done it still squats and the new leaf packs are also flat. I am definitely without a doubt not over my payload capacity. Im scratching my head I dont understand why the leaves are flatten out and there's not enough weight in the back to do that. My leaf spring code on the data tag is BW X (x is for the leaves) incase you were wondering. Thanks in advanced

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Most rangers I have see. Without a leveling kit (to include my dad,s 98) squat in the back... if you want it level you need a 2/0 leveling kit. It’s basically lift blocks and a helper spring to get it leveled... otherwise a whole lift kit would be your next best option.

EXPO_D1

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Coyle
Member #

i would look into deaver leaf springs. very high quality
Edited: i did own a 02 4.0l 4x4 ranger for several years and loved the setup! the auto trans was my only reason for moving on. great truck overall

Last edited:

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Talk to Deaver Springs about progressive springs. Instead of 3 or 4 springs you are looking at 7 to 10 springs. they raised my truck about 2” and improved the ride 100%.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Talk to Deaver Springs about progressive springs. Instead of 3 or 4 springs you are looking at 7 to 10 springs. they raised my truck about 2” and improved the ride 100%.
The progressive springs by Deaver are a night and day difference for the Rangers and Explorers.