Launch Member

Contributor I

Snohomish, WA, USA
First Name
Jeremiah
Last Name
Essig
Member #

I have a trailer that I'm adding a CVT rooftop tent to and I need to extend the roof rack such that the tent will be more forward toward the doors so the annex connects through the door. I'm looking at some fairly cheap amazon fixed mount roof racks and curious what other people might be using or what their experience is. Concerns are weight, water leaks into the trailer, and the ceiling is wood so I'd like to minimize damage. It doesn't have be cheap...

S

SubeeBen

Just a suggestion find a local fab shop/metal fabricator & have it built for you exact specifications

Reactions: ArkansasDon

nhfire

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

New Hampshire
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Currier
Member #

Looks like you will need to have special mounting brackets on top of the trailer to find a good structural support. You may want the racks to lift up to get the head space if you are adding the optional room. the room opens in the back so you would have great access. Trailer looks great!!!!!

Reactions: ruralpunks

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I have a trailer that I'm adding a CVT rooftop tent to and I need to extend the roof rack such that the tent will be more forward toward the doors so the annex connects through the door. I'm looking at some fairly cheap amazon fixed mount roof racks and curious what other people might be using or what their experience is. Concerns are weight, water leaks into the trailer, and the ceiling is wood so I'd like to minimize damage. It doesn't have be cheap...
View attachment 106313
I just built a roof rack for my trailer. It's for kayaks vs. a roof top tent so the weight isn't nearly the same. To deal with some of the concerns you have too I mounted it to the walls and not the roof. It's much stronger and to be honest was easier to do. 19-06-29 1.JPG

Reactions: ruralpunks

ruralpunks

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Snohomish, WA, USA
First Name
Jeremiah
Last Name
Essig
Member #

Looks like you will need to have special mounting brackets on top of the trailer to find a good structural support. You may want the racks to lift up to get the head space if you are adding the optional room. the room opens in the back so you would have great access. Trailer looks great!!!!!
Thanks, we are adding the annex or vestibule. I think I'm going to go with a temporary set of crossbars until I can get something made.

ruralpunks

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Snohomish, WA, USA
First Name
Jeremiah
Last Name
Essig
Member #

I just built a roof rack for my trailer. It's for kayaks vs. a roof top tent so the weight isn't nearly the same. To deal with some of the concerns you have too I mounted it to the walls and not the roof. It's much stronger and to be honest was easier to do. View attachment 106673
That's a fantastic rack. I'll keep this idea in mind.

Reactions: PCO6

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

That's a fantastic rack. I'll keep this idea in mind.
Thanks. It started out as a chain link fence gate. I like to repurpose things if I can! It takes about 2 minutes to load each kayak and they don't budge … so I'm happy.

I like the design of your trailer. It looks like it can take a beating. I thought of chopping up the one in my signature below and doing something like yours, but my wife had other ideas. Now I have 2! lol