First Trip to Moab

• HTML tutorial

Hella-Buggin'

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area
Member #

We'll be visiting family in Colorado and have decided to spend a few days in Moab.
What do I need to know and what trails should I stick to so my poor wife doesn't have a heart attack on me.
I'm in a capable Jeep but her cousins might join us in a stock 4 Runner. Just looking for some easy low risk trails a step or two above fire trails I guess.

Do I need permits for camping? Dog?

Thanks

Enthusiast I

Brentwood, CA
Member #

We'll be visiting family in Colorado and have decided to spend a few days in Moab.
What do I need to know and what trails should I stick to so my poor wife doesn't have a heart attack on me.
I'm in a capable Jeep but her cousins might join us in a stock 4 Runner. Just looking for some easy low risk trails a step or two above fire trails I guess.

Do I need permits for camping? Dog?

Thanks
This book is the best resource available for Moab trails. Some trails require a permit. Some places, NPs, won't allow your dog.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using OB Talk mobile app

Roy L Mankins

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pahrump, NV
Member #

Fins n things, long canyon, Gemini Bridges, Al little more adventurous is Hells Revenge. 2 day run is white rim trail, amazing scenery all.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

AlOrMi

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Kennesaw, Georgia
Member #

I'd take them on the White Rim trail in Canyonlands. Enter through the Shafer Trail on the visitors center side. Do a out/back because your wife will freak if you come out the other side. Camping is by registration only and it sells out months in advance. Your best chance for camping is going to be on BLM land.

Sent from my Pixel XL using OB Talk mobile app

ASNOBODY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Detroit, Michigan
Member #

If you stick to all the trails outside of the NP system around Moab your dog will be happy as they aren't even allowed in the vehicle while driving in places like Canyonlands usually. And honestly, a lot of the kick ass ones aren't even in the NP's anyway. And yes, very useful...

Reactions: Homeguy and Road

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

Moab 1st timers bucket list:
Fins N Things, Hurrah Pass/Chicken Corners, Gemini Bridges/Bull canyon, Long Canyon/Shafer Switchbacks/Potash Rd loop, Tusher Tunnel and Onion Creek.

If you want to step up the difficulty:
Hells Revenge, Seven Mile Rim(Wipe Out Hill), Flat Iron Mesa, Porcupine Rim, Top of the World.

Hikes for dogs:
Mill Creek and William Grandstaff(Negro Bill) canyon

Reactions: Seppy and Road

Hella-Buggin'

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area
Member #

Well, Moab is mind blowing. Our trip was cut short because of work so I only got one day to play. We did Hurrah Pass and were going to do Chicken Corners but everyone was exhausted from the travel an heat. Decided to call it a day and not push it.

jazzy13

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Newport, RI, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Azbill
Member #

I’ll second Gemini bridges...it’s easy but fun w/ nice views...ensure to stop at Gemini bridges overlook.

Also, white rim trail is a pretty easy trail with amazing views starting from shafer trail. I agree with Alormi in that I wouldn’t take her all the way, maybe to mussleman arch or bit farther n have lunch. Arches Natl Park is awesome with walking up into double arch being my favorite.

Shafer trail was the highlight of my last moab trip. Epic views. Have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
One thing for sure, this time of year you'd have a lot of trails all to yourself and any other hardcores that can take the heat. We prefer the NP trail systems. A stock 4runner with lockers can get down through Elephant Hill, provided one has an excellent spotter. Continue south of there down through Bobby's Hole and up into the mountains, head east where you can, and make the loop all the way around. Really nice day trip, even nicer whne you can make that loop a 3 or 4 nighter. Even during prime season that route has very few humans on it once south of the Joint Trail head. Last spring we were down there and saw nary a soul for 3 straight days.