First Time RTT - Need help picking a roof rack for 4Runner Trail + Tepui Autana 4

• HTML tutorial

lozza

Rank 0

Contributor I

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Lauren
Last Name
Corboy
Hey there! This is my first time purchasing a RTT and with my 6'3" husband and 2 50lb dogs, we went with the Thule Tepui Autana 4 XL to fit alllll this. I'm struggling to figure out what kind of roof rack I need. Here's the gist of what I know:
  • RTT weighs 150lbs
  • Factory Rails have a max load of 132lbs
  • I need crossbars!
  • Dimensions of the closed tent are 48 x 72 x 12 in
Here is what I don't know:
  1. If the factory crossbar max load is below the weigh of whatever item is getting loaded, does simply adding crossbars work or would I need to upgrade the rails themselves as well?
  2. If I only need crossbars, am I good to find a nice aerodynamic pair with max load of 165lbs or would a tent this size require a more robust setup (like 4 crossbars or a platform style rack)?
  3. With the RTT's dimensions, if I only need crossbars, would I be good with 50" or would it be better to go a bit wider so there is more than 1" of bar beyond the tent (48" wide)?
If anyone has this particular setup (4Runner plus XL RTT), I'd love to hear what you did and what you like/don't like about your setup!

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

First thing, the roof load is dynamic weight. Basically the max weight when stationary. Static weight is when parked which will triple + the weight rating. However, you'll never find the actual rating posted by a manufacturer. With that said, if you want to go only cross bars I would go w/ the Thule square bars. They're steel and very strong. I use 2 with my roofnest RTT and myself with no issues. I'm 6'4" 340 lbs. If I was you I'd go with a frontrunner rack and mount the tent on there. It'll give you the most versatility for ANYTHING you want to add to it. I mean anything. Given that it's you, husband, and big dogs, plus some gear, I would take the worry and guess work out of it and bite the bullet.

If the tent is 48" and the bars are 50" you'll be okay though. It's not so much the length of the bars. It's more important to spread them far apart to support the weight of the tent evenly. You may consider adding a third in the middle of the tent.