First time CB: Need opinions and direction on this set up!

• HTML tutorial

Roxxie

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Palm Desert
Member #

Alright guys-

I have everything ready to go except the bracket on my 2017 Rubicon has the spring sit a little too far into the spare tire and I can't screw the antennae on!!!! I have tried that same bracket and tried to turn it on each of the 4 corners of the spare tire mount and it just won't work right....
Please tell me what you used (Firestik wise, not magna mount) to hold your firestik on your spare tire holder? I have a 32' spare and it gets in the way!
There has got to be an easier way as I have everything else all set up how I want it!

Advice Please!!!

805RADO

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Ynez, CA, USA
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Sasquatch
Member #

Alright guys-

I have everything ready to go except the bracket on my 2017 Rubicon has the spring sit a little too far into the spare tire and I can't screw the antennae on!!!! I have tried that same bracket and tried to turn it on each of the 4 corners of the spare tire mount and it just won't work right....
Please tell me what you used (Firestik wise, not magna mount) to hold your firestik on your spare tire holder? I have a 32' spare and it gets in the way!
There has got to be an easier way as I have everything else all set up how I want it!

Advice Please!!!
I know a lot of jeep people put it on the spare tire, but Ive done a bit of research on antenna ditch mounts. That is what I am just about to instal. granted I am working with a silverado. But if your having trouble with the spare maybe it is an option.

805RADO

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Ynez, CA, USA
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Sasquatch
Member #

Ok, hello everyone. I have all the parts and tool necessary for this weekend's CB radio instal. (ill be filming and putting on my YT channel) but I wanted to know if anyone could help with a few questions.

1, I have a bolt on antenna mount for the hood/antenna ditch. The area I am bolting to is under the hood where you cant see but there is paint there. Should I sand the area under the mount for better collection to ground? So there is more metal on metal?

2, For getting the coax through the firewall... any tips? for a Silverado specifically? I know where all the other wires go through and have seen people cut a small individual hole in the rubber seal and squeeze it through but is that the best?

If all goes well you'll see the instal on YT next week.
uniden 520 with a firestick and PA mic! ha

Reactions: Tahoe.Adventures

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Ok, hello everyone. I have all the parts and tool necessary for this weekend's CB radio instal. (ill be filming and putting on my YT channel) but I wanted to know if anyone could help with a few questions.

1, I have a bolt on antenna mount for the hood/antenna ditch. The area I am bolting to is under the hood where you cant see but there is paint there. Should I sand the area under the mount for better collection to ground? So there is more metal on metal?

2, For getting the coax through the firewall... any tips? for a Silverado specifically? I know where all the other wires go through and have seen people cut a small individual hole in the rubber seal and squeeze it through but is that the best?

If all goes well you'll see the instal on YT next week.
uniden 520 with a firestick and PA mic! ha

1. I would, grounding the antenna mount is a major part of the install. I would remove paint from the mount (if painted/powder coated) and from the body panel where you are mounting it. Also the underside of the antenna mount where the antenna stud mounts needs to have paint/powder coat removed.

2. The best way would be to drill a hole and install a grommet specifically for the coax and/or power wires, but I wouldn't worry too much about cutting a small hole in an existing seal. If you are concerned about water running down the coax and getting inside you could epoxy around the hole after you have run the coax and/or run the coax lower than the hole so that any water that runs down the coax will be less likely to run up the coax to the hole in the seal.

I'm sure someone(s) will come along and say that I wrong on both accounts....

Reactions: 805RADO

805RADO

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Ynez, CA, USA
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Sasquatch
Member #

1. I would, grounding the antenna mount is a major part of the install. I would remove paint from the mount (if painted/powder coated) and from the body panel where you are mounting it. Also the underside of the antenna mount where the antenna stud mounts needs to have paint/powder coat removed.

2. The best way would be to drill a hole and install a grommet specifically for the coax and/or power wires, but I wouldn't worry too much about cutting a small hole in an existing seal. If you are concerned about water running down the coax and getting inside you could epoxy around the hole after you have run the coax and/or run the coax lower than the hole so that any water that runs down the coax will be less likely to run up the coax to the hole in the seal.

I'm sure someone(s) will come along and say that I wrong on both accounts....
I think these are both good ideas. I probably will just pop and hole in the existing seal and epoxy it closed. Thanks for the confirmation on the plan!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland
Alright guys-

Advice Please!!!
I utilize a 4ft firefly antenna with an Evolution Offroad tire carrier mount. I am running an LOD tire carrier though. Are you utilizing the stock tires? Feel free to PM me also.

Rubicajon

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Panama City Beach, FL, USA
First Name
RUBI
Last Name
CAJON
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5VLS
Service Branch
Seabee’s
We went with a front bumper mount for our antenna. After talking with some amateur radio friends they said that this position should allow the hood to reflect the signal up. I have been running this setup for about a year and seems to work well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using OB Talk mobile app

805RADO

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Ynez, CA, USA
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Sasquatch
Member #

Just finished my instal last night. I don’t have a great area near by that is open enough for a good tune but I’ll find one.

Ok so was wondering if anyone has suggestion... I’m getting an swr of about 1.9 across all channels. Though I tested this not in the best open location. Is this acceptable level
? What Can I do to lower this? I also have a small PA speaker in the hood. Here are the final pics.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

1.9 will work but it's not great. Across all channels you say? Typically the SWR has a curve to it, highest on 1 and 40 and lowest on 20... especially with short antennas. Longer antennas have a flatter curve. What was your reading on 20?

805RADO

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Ynez, CA, USA
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Sasquatch
Member #

1.9 will work but it's not great. Across all channels you say? Typically the SWR has a curve to it, highest on 1 and 40 and lowest on 20... especially with short antennas. Longer antennas have a flatter curve. What was your reading on 20?
I’ll have to check the reading at 20. I only checked 1 and 40. Drove out to pismo sand dunes and rechecked this morning. Still about 1.9 at both ends but I’ll check the middle next.

Coolhand

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Miami Lakes, FL
Member #

Ok so was wondering if anyone has suggestion... I’m getting an swr of about 1.9 across all channels. Though I tested this not in the best open location. Is this acceptable level
? What Can I do to lower this? I also have a small PA speaker in the hood. Here are the final pics.

Just saw this post, I know this is old but you have that antenna mount wired incorrectly. The cable needs to be on the bottom of the mount not on top. You will burn up the radio with it like that. That's why your SWR is so high.

Sent from my SM-G950U using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Prerunner1982

805RADO

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Ynez, CA, USA
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Sasquatch
Member #

Just saw this post, I know this is old but you have that antenna mount wired incorrectly. The cable needs to be on the bottom of the mount not on top. You will burn up the radio with it like that. That's why your SWR is so high.

Sent from my SM-G950U using OB Talk mobile app
good to know, your the first to say. Ill re mount and test the SWR again.

Robert Jordan

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Grass Valley, CA
Member #

As an LMR Operations Manager I can tell you this...If I were you I would spring for a 10M converted radio such as the Stryker SR-94HPC. It has more carrier power and output power than a typical CB which will help you out. A standard CB rig puts out about 4-5 watts of power whereas a converted radio such as the SR-94HPC will put out more like 30W. It will help your distance of TX and RX although with 10M-11M you are still limited to a few miles without seriously amping up the power with say a linear amp and catching the skip just right. I would also recommend going to a more solid mounted antenna such as a Firestik FS3. You don't need to mess with an inline SWR meter at that point either since you will have a solid mounted antenna and it will be tuned for its placement. Also, if you go the Firestik route I would highly suggest using a medium spring like their SS3M. Any stiffer and you will have issues. IF you find out that your setup requires a longer antenna such as a 4 foot Firestik then I would go with the SS3H spring.

Reactions: Disco Patrol

Albert Jr

Rank 0

Traveler I

I know this post is a little old, but I have a Uniden Pro520XL that will be arriving in a few days, along with a mag mount kit that should be here next week. I went with the mag mount because I can put it on my roof and get the most elevation, while not spending a lot of money to install a CB antenna on my vehicle.

For me, a CB will be for communication between rigs if we ride in groups or one on one, for something to listen to on the road, and as a form of extra comms. I didn’t spend an arm and a leg, and hat was the intention. I will get me a GMRS radio for the vehicle, and a couple of walkie talkie types to hand out. Once I get the gist of all that and see how I like it, I’ll get my HAM radio license and go from there. I’m taking baby steps when it comes to this.