Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
7yo is going to be tough. I run that once or twice a year as well as trips into the area. Maybe bring a friend? When I take people out there, I don't stay on the route much. I zig zag along going to the sites around the area. Depending on how excited the child gets over ruins and artifacts, there's the pictographs at Indian Well, Fort Piute, Penny Can, train station if its open, Lava Tubes, Rock formations at Hole in the Wall, a few wind mills, Rock House (painters cabin) and some corrals.

RAMf1

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Castro Valley, Alameda County, California, United States
First Name
Russell
Last Name
Miller
Member #

The Singing Kelso Sand Dunes were my kids favorite camping spot.. We spent hours climbing the dunes and jumping off the crests landing 10 to 15 feet downslope… The resulting sand slide would then make the most haunting sound as the sand particles rubbed against each other. My very difficult to please daughter said it was the best place… ever!

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

7yo is going to be tough. I run that once or twice a year as well as trips into the area. Maybe bring a friend? When I take people out there, I don't stay on the route much. I zig zag along going to the sites around the area. Depending on how excited the child gets over ruins and artifacts, there's the pictographs at Indian Well, Fort Piute, Penny Can, train station if its open, Lava Tubes, Rock formations at Hole in the Wall, a few wind mills, Rock House (painters cabin) and some corrals.

You sound a little like me. I've been traveling the Mojave Road AND The Mojave Preserve since it became a National Park in 1994. We go out on two official trips a year.....next one is next weekend, and Easter weekend. Rather than go point A to point B, I also take people on routes that most don't get to see.....basically, covering more of the alphabet than A-B!! We have room for one or two more trucks, if the OP wants to tag along! It's Always better to go with more experienced tour guides, especially if it's your first time!!
After the initial three days (Fri to Sunday) me and at least one other.....maybe more, are going back out into the park for three more days of camping and exploring. probably staying in one of the cabins at least one or two days.

Reactions: 9Mike2 and cdavis90

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
You sound a little like me. I've been traveling the Mojave Road AND The Mojave Preserve since it became a National Park in 1994. We go out on two official trips a year.....next one is next weekend, and Easter weekend. Rather than go point A to point B, I also take people on routes that most don't get to see.....basically, covering more of the alphabet than A-B!! We have room for one or two more trucks, if the OP wants to tag along! It's Always better to go with more experienced tour guides, especially if it's your first time!!
After the initial three days (Fri to Sunday) me and at least one other.....maybe more, are going back out into the park for three more days of camping and exploring. probably staying in one of the cabins at least one or two days.
Nice
The guys in my old jeep club did a bunch of work on the Mojave heritage trail along with the guy (don't remember his name) who mapped out the Mojave road. Its one of my favorite areas. I've been exploring the area since the late 80's. One thing I miss though was driving to the top of the small volcanoes and standing on the rim looking out at the string of them. I hope that was something you experienced before it became a preserve.

oops...didn't mean to derail this thread.

Reactions: 9Mike2

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

You might find this guidebook interesting for overall information..Mojave Road Guide and Map Mojave National Preserve

The Bible of the Mojave Road!! I have at least three copies, I sometimes will loan them out to newbies who want to learn more about the trail and history......works especially well when there is a co driver, as they can read while the other drives! Lol!

Reactions: 9Mike2

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Nice
The guys in my old jeep club did a bunch of work on the Mojave heritage trail along with the guy (don't remember his name) who mapped out the Mojave road. Its one of my favorite areas. I've been exploring the area since the late 80's. One thing I miss though was driving to the top of the small volcanoes and standing on the rim looking out at the string of them. I hope that was something you experienced before it became a preserve.

oops...didn't mean to derail this thread.

Dennis Casebier was his name, I think he passed away not long ago, he had been dealing with heart issues for a few years. Met him a couple of times, what a wonderful man he was!! He has amassed a Ton of history, both oral, written, photos, etc.......of everything and anything related to the East Mojave Desert and the Mojave Road and it's all housed at the Goff's School house that he and his group have made into a cultural center and campground!
I did part of the heritage trail with him years ago and his Mojave Road trip once as well.

Reactions: 9Mike2 and smritte

kharrel

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast II

Ventura County, CA, USA
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Harrel
Member #

Few things we did a trip this spring with a group of 8-11 year olds.

Try and stay a night or two in the New York area. Trees and Rocks to play in.

Lava tube was a lot of fun for them. This is a must on the road.

Rock/hill climbing at Mojave Camp is fun also. Safe if you go with them. There are run rocks to climb just outside Avi also.

Now I know this will not be the most popular recommend :( As it has not been keep natural. But kids loved Golddome Mill. We spent hours looking around.

Kelly

my134Runner

Rank IV

Influencer II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Few things we did a trip this spring with a group of 8-11 year olds.

Try and stay a night or two in the New York area. Trees and Rocks to play in.

Lava tube was a lot of fun for them. This is a must on the road.

Rock/hill climbing at Mojave Camp is fun also. Safe if you go with them. There are run rocks to climb just outside Avi also.

Now I know this will not be the most popular recommend :( As it has not been keep natural. But kids loved Golddome Mill. We spent hours looking around.

Kelly

Yeah, that site is a dangerous mess....especially for kids. Probably wouldn't be my first or tenth choice! But, next time take them on the Hole in the Wall ring trail! You drop down into the canyon climbing down the iron rings, and take the hike up to Mid Hills, have someone pick you up there, or have them already at Mid Hills, as that's a great spot to cool down and have a picnic for the kids. Just my 2 cents!

kunstmilch

Rank V

Advocate II

Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS call sign: WRFL229
I don't know how much this will apply, so take it for what it's worth: I grew up all over and spent a lot of time outside, mostly by myself in the woods, anytime I would go somewhere with a group I would likely complain and distinctly remember being in trouble for and thought of as a complainer or whiner, but as much as I whined I still enjoyed exploring. To this day I still have fond memories of both the exploring and the complaining, so it may seem like they are bored to death but dont give up and roll with it. Had I not gone out a lot then Id be a very different person today.