Firestik II SWR readings

• HTML tutorial

94Cruiser

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Suisun City, California
Member #

Installing a CB and antenna.... (I've had a CB on a previous vehicle but never bothered to tune it, so I guess that makes me a newbie..ha)

I am getting crazy readings while adjusting the SWR with my Firestik II (4 ft). The SWR is between 3.5 and 4.5 depending on channel 1 and 40.

I'm using an external (unused but wayyyy old school) 80's Pace SWR meter....

I don't have the antenna permanently mounted just yet, but I am leaning it in place to tune it until my Yodateq hatch bracket arrives.

Does the antenna mount matter that much, or should I be looking at something else?

Perhaps no ground plane cable instead of the regular Firestik gray 18' antenna cable?

Thanks in advance

OverlandHiker

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger II

Livermore, CA
First Name
Bennett
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6LPD
With the firestik, when I was tuning mine I needed to make sure the fire ring connector had a good ground to the chassis of the truck. Without that I was also getting SWR readings all over the place. Once I got it grounded properly it tuned very nicely.

somerset-andy

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Middlezoy, UK
Member #

Do nothing until it is all mounted properly. The mount is an important part of the ground plane. Nothing should be touching the antenna, so propping it up isn't helping your SWR reading. There are plenty of YouTube clips on antenna tuning.

Reactions: 1Louder and TerryD

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

Few problems I see.
First- Firestick
Second-4 foot
Third- not mounted
Ive never cared for Firestick. I drive a truck and Ive always used either Francis or Wilson. Even with the big 2 meter converted radios I talked cross country on.
I always use a 5 foot. Just something about the smaller ones they don't seem to want to tune out right.
And no matter what you have to mount it.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I used a fiberglass antenna one time. It was replaced in short order by a 102" stainless whip and that is all I will run. On my Cherokee, it was mounted about midways up the rear hatch with a 6" extension bar rather than a spring and always performed amazingly. On my K5, it's on a ball mount on the rear quarter with a spring. The Xterra will get one as well, but where and how it will mount, I still have not decided.

Reactions: Arizona Overland

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

I used a fiberglass antenna one time. It was replaced in short order by a 102" stainless whip and that is all I will run. On my Cherokee, it was mounted about midways up the rear hatch with a 6" extension bar rather than a spring and always performed amazingly. On my K5, it's on a ball mount on the rear quarter with a spring. The Xterra will get one as well, but where and how it will mount, I still have not decided.
Every single antenna on the market is trying to emulate a 102 SS. Some do it better than others.

Reactions: JPStone and TerryD

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
You just can't beat the 102" SS whip. But it isn't for everyone. It does not have that cool factor that the smaller antennas have. You just can't beat the receive/transmit quality of the 102". My 2nd favorite antenna was the K40 antenna and lip mount. They are pricey but have the advantage of being removed easily for when going in low overhangs at home, car wash, auto shops.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
The antenna I had was a Wilson 5' Silverlode (?). It seemed to do ok, but the element broke loose of the base in no time flat and even after repairing it, it never did work quite right. I've helped tune several Firestik antennas but will never own one myself. The 102" is too tough and works too good to ever try anything else.

Make sure you sand down to the bare metal where the antenna mounts. Coat it in copper anti-seize then install your clamps or whatever. Post pictures of where you are going to mount it and we can give you advice on making the best connections you can there to get the most out of it.

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

The big downside with a 102ss is that its a 102ss. LOL. Not the most convenient antenna to run for sure.
The best antenna I ever ran was a Wilson 2000 long shaft. I don't think it would be very convenient on a 4x4 either though.

TnK1

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Hollywood park, Tx
Member #

So here a question, I know almost nothing about cbs, what about using a handheld that could be connected to an antenna vs a permanent mount box?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Are you talking portable handheld or the Cobra all in one handset radio? The handheld with bare minimum features works just fine for what it is intended for - the person who sometimes needs a radio to talk/listen to fellow CBer's while outside the vehicle. The all in one handset radio is descent to use for those who do not have room inside the cab area, aren't full-time truckers and it has the weather channels on it, too. You don't have to purchase a Cobra 29LTD to talk to others while out trail riding. The better the antenna the better the radio, as you can not pick up or get out with a crap antenna.

Reactions: Sean S and TerryD

TnK1

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Hollywood park, Tx
Member #

Are you talking portable handheld or the Cobra all in one handset radio? The handheld with bare minimum features works just fine for what it is intended for - the person who sometimes needs a radio to talk/listen to fellow CBer's while outside the vehicle. The all in one handset radio is descent to use for those who do not have room inside the cab area, aren't full-time truckers and it has the weather channels on it, too. You don't have to purchase a Cobra 29LTD to talk to others while out trail riding. The better the antenna the better the radio, as you can not pick up or get out with a crap antenna.
The midland 75-822 looks to be a handheld/all in one

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
You can use most of the CB hand held radios with BNC-SO239 adapters to hook to a mounted antenna. I used an old Radio Shack hand held like that and use my Baofeng on my dual band ground plane at home when I need to be "off-the-grid" for simulations my amateur radio club runs during the year.

4x4_gump.619

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Utah
Member #

Am I missing something or is there a better 102" whip out there than others? I'm new to the CB game...

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
The 102" whip with the base solid on the whip is better than the ones with a set screw holding the whip and the MFJ 108" whip is best as you won't have to use the 6" extension or a spring to make the length up.