Finding a balance between camping and driving.

• HTML tutorial

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
I appreciate the responses from everyone. So, we do have a trailer as well. View attachment 151242
At some point in the future I would like to get a hardtop RTT like a Baroud or Maggiolina, but for now it's the Smitty. The biggest problem with the Smitty, which causes the greatest amount of time suck, is its lack of room to allow pillows and sleeping bags to stay inside when folded up. The stock mattress in the Smitty is cuh-rap! So we have to use an inflatable, like the REI Dreamliner, which takes time to blow up and deflate, and we have to take sleeping bags and pillows in and out, which requires stuffing and un-stuffing and storing everything in bins. As you know, all of this takes a lot of time to do everyday.

I would take the stock mattress out but it serves as a vapor barrier and insulator. Does anyone have recommendations on a thinner material that could be used as a vapor barrier, but doesn't cost a lot like a CVT vapor barrier? If I could remove that stock mattress it would free up enough room to at least leave sleeping bags/ blankets in there, and maybe even pillows, when folded up. This would speed up the set up and take down of camp exponentially.
I did a quick search and found this...I don't know how much the CVT is but maybe this stuff will work for you. It's priced by the foot so I guess the price could add up quick. You would probably need two rows of it for your tent. Could tie or sew them together once you have it all configured.

Hypervent Condensation Prevention Matting - 39" Wide

California Overland

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Roseville, Ca.
Member #

I did a quick search and found this...I don't know how much the CVT is but maybe this stuff will work for you. It's priced by the foot so I guess the price could add up quick. You would probably need two rows of it for your tent. Could tie or sew them together once you have it all configured.

Interesting, it almost looks like swamp cooler matting. I'm going over to the Depot tomorrow to see what I can find. The other idea I have is to get some foam gym mat and stick it to the floor of the RTT. Would be cheap and still provide some insulation and padding, but be over an inch shorter than the stock mattress.

Reactions: Wallygator

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
Interesting, it almost looks like swamp cooler matting. I'm going over to the Depot tomorrow to see what I can find. The other idea I have is to get some foam gym mat and stick it to the floor of the RTT. Would be cheap and still provide some insulation and padding, but be over an inch shorter than the stock mattress.
That hyper vent stuff will not compress, it keeps it's shape. Yeah good luck I hope you find a solution. Some of these mats are way overpriced.

Reactions: California Overland

southerntaco

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Atlanta, GA, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Chaves
Member #

Maybe if you cover the backside of the tent floor(the bottom) would help insulate it and it wouldn’t take a lot of room. They have some adhesive insulation tapes that are thin and might help with condensation.

Reactions: California Overland

VI Overlander

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Fanny Bay BC Canada
Ham/GMRS Callsign
chernoble
for us it’s about 2-3 days hard driving requires a good rest day. When I say hard driving that’s 10-14hr days behind the wheel. We use a small overland trailer, this allows a little more freedom to explore, but hinders quick departures. But we can be loaded and ready in 15 minutes if we don’t deploy the tent extension. Our overland vehicle is a TJ so that also presented challenges that directed us to a custom trailer. We do enjoy the journey though, we are planning a 3k mile trip next year over 14-17 days that will span 7-10 states.
2BF7914E-4934-49FE-93E5-F72E2C2F05D5.jpeg

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

That hyper vent stuff will not compress, it keeps it's shape. Yeah good luck I hope you find a solution. Some of these mats are way overpriced.
Maybe if you cover the backside of the tent floor(the bottom) would help insulate it and it wouldn’t take a lot of room. They have some adhesive insulation tapes that are thin and might help with condensation.

What I've found in using my hardshell RTT extensively--over 600 nights out actually in weather from sub-freezing to over 100ºF--is that cross-ventilation--even on the coldest of nights--does far more in preventing condensation accumulation than does a mat or most other solutions. Closing up your sleeping space completely from any air movement contributes greatly to moisture conditions from your own breathing, and increased condensation as a result.

Additionally, for expanded spun polymer mats to work best, they need air moving through them. That doesn't always happen well with wall to wall mattress and bedding in a RTT.

My backcountry experiments with different methods proved over and over that leaving my end windows and entrance door zipped down a few inches from the top, on even the coldest of nights, has resulted in no condensation under my cheap foam mattress. That creates a cross-ventilation up high in the sleeping area, not a draft at sleeping level and, in my experience, has all but eliminated condensation, especially under the mattress. No purchased anti-condensation mat under the mattress and only a sleeping bag and jungle blankets on top of me.

I have woken up in the middle of extreme cold nights with a bit of condensation on top of all my bedding, though usually only when my head has been turned and I'm sort of breathing into the bedding. Though it dries quick, has never contributed to mildew, and I've found no condensation under the mattress. I *hate* mold and mildew, and from my time as a certified home inspector know how problematic it can be, especially in an enclosed environment.

For what it's worth, here's how my RTT bedding setup has evolved, in order from bottom up:

- cheap 3" foam mattress that came with the RTT
- a simple sheet, fitted or tucked in all the way around the mattress. The too-tight zippered fitted sheet it came with is a royal PIA to use, so I usually don't.
- a big old comforter for extra cushion and so I don't bottom out if turned on my side. I prefer cotton and cotton/poly, not slippery material, and not overly lofty. Just a good ol' regular comforter.
- I sleep on top of the comforter in a sleep sack, though a sheet would be just as good. I really like the sleep sacks I use and keep two, one for the van and one for the RTT so I don't have to move stuff. All my RTT bedding stays in the RTT full time. They're cheap, easy to hand wash in camp if needed, and dry super quick. MUCH easier to clean a sleep sack than a whole sleeping bag or sheeting. They're a thin, comfortable, pocket-sized satiny sleeping bag liner, very comfortable and commonly used when traveling and staying in hostels or hotels a lot. I love it. Nothing quite as nice as climbing into a clean bed at the end of a long day outside.
- Cheap Coleman sleeping bag over me and the sleep sack, laid open and unzipped. I think mine is rated to 40ºF or something, not a super-rated cold weather bag. I like it open so I can move around more easily through the night, even in the sleep sack.
- Jungle blankets. The chillier it is, the more jungle blankets are used, just spread out full width on top of the sleep bag. I keep three up in the RTT for sub-freezing nights. They're amazing in how well they insulate, with some sort of new-tech fiber. They pack small, too, so I'm able to pack them easily for overnights with canoe or bike, too.

All sounds more complicated than it is, and takes more time to describe than to actually do. With the set up as described above, and sleeping with socks and a knit cap and no tight clothing, sometimes no clothing, I'm as comfortable and warm as I want to be. No heater, no moisture problems, lots of clean fresh air.

I wake up eager and excited to get up and get out there; not sore from being curled up tight all night, or cranky from lack of sleep.

That's what it's all about; reducing/eliminating the problems and hassles of adventure so you have a better, and more, time enjoying yourself.

Stay safe, stay clean, stay healthy!

biberm-190313-1080-1797.jpg

Atlost67

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
Adolph
Last Name
Lostaunau
Member #

What I've found in using my hardshell RTT extensively--over 600 nights out actually in weather from sub-freezing to over 100ºF--is that cross-ventilation--even on the coldest of nights--does far more in preventing condensation accumulation than does a mat or most other solutions. Closing up your sleeping space completely from any air movement contributes greatly to moisture conditions from your own breathing, and increased condensation as a result.

Additionally, for expanded spun polymer mats to work best, they need air moving through them. That doesn't always happen well with wall to wall mattress and bedding in a RTT.

My backcountry experiments with different methods proved over and over that leaving my end windows and entrance door zipped down a few inches from the top, on even the coldest of nights, has resulted in no condensation under my cheap foam mattress. That creates a cross-ventilation up high in the sleeping area, not a draft at sleeping level and, in my experience, has all but eliminated condensation, especially under the mattress. No purchased anti-condensation mat under the mattress and only a sleeping bag and jungle blankets on top of me.

I have woken up in the middle of extreme cold nights with a bit of condensation on top of all my bedding, though usually only when my head has been turned and I'm sort of breathing into the bedding. Though it dries quick, has never contributed to mildew, and I've found no condensation under the mattress. I *hate* mold and mildew, and from my time as a certified home inspector know how problematic it can be, especially in an enclosed environment.

For what it's worth, here's how my RTT bedding setup has evolved, in order from bottom up:

- a simple sheet, fitted or tucked in all the way around the mattress. The too-tight zippered fitted sheet it came with is a royal PIA to use, so I usually don't.
- a big old comforter for extra cushion and so I don't bottom out if turned on my side. I prefer cotton and cotton/poly, not slippery material, and not overly lofty. Just a good ol' regular comforter.
- I sleep on top of the comforter in a sleep sack, though a sheet would be just as good. I really like the sleep sacks I use and keep two, one for the van and one for the RTT so I don't have to move stuff. All my RTT bedding stays in the RTT full time. They're cheap, easy to hand wash in camp if needed, and dry super quick. MUCH easier to clean a sleep sack than a whole sleeping bag or sheeting. They're a thin, comfortable, pocket-sized satiny sleeping bag liner, very comfortable and commonly used when traveling and staying in hostels or hotels a lot. I love it. Nothing quite as nice as climbing into a clean bed at the end of a long day outside.
- Cheap Coleman sleeping bag over me and the sleep sack, laid open and unzipped. I think mine is rated to 40ºF or something, not a super-rated cold weather bag. I like it open so I can move around more easily through the night, even in the sleep sack.
- Jungle blankets. The chillier it is, the more jungle blankets are used, just spread out full width on top of the sleep bag. I keep three up in the RTT for sub-freezing nights. They're amazing in how well they insulate, with some sort of new-tech fiber. They pack small, too, so I'm able to pack them easily for overnights with canoe or bike, too.

All sounds more complicated than it is, and takes more time to describe than to actually do. With the set up as described above, and sleeping with socks and a knit cap and no tight clothing, sometimes no clothing, I'm as comfortable and warm as I want to be. No heater, no moisture problems, lots of clean fresh air.

I wake up eager and excited to get up and get out there; not sore from being curled up tight all night, or cranky from lack of sleep.

That's what it's all about; reducing/eliminating the problems and hassles of adventure so you have a better, and more, time enjoying yourself.

View attachment 151347

Good information

Reactions: Road

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

We did a 3 week 8500+km trip North 2 summers ago now. We are both early risers, so we normally try to get moving by about 8am and plan to be at least looking for a camp spot by 1pm, and to be parked and relaxing by no latert than 3pm on any given day. Their are exceptions, based on a timetable or where we may be traveling where we may decide ot put in a full day of driving, to get closer to somewhere, and we try to spend at least 2 nights in a good spot once per week week of travel. Over many years of motorcycle travel, and regualt camping trips, and now with these styles of "overland" setups, we've done a pretty good job of simplifying what we carry and fine tuned our set-up and breakdown ot the point we cna pretty much be 100% setep and sipping on a beer within 15 minutes of pulling into any given camp spot (having the Four Wheel Camper really helps and it was one of the main reasons we went with this style of portable mobile accommodation). While we are on the road, we will always brew coffee in the morning, but unless we are psending multiple days in a certain spot breakfast usually consists of a quickly made up bowl of granola with yogurt and fruit on the side. This also allows us to get cleaned up and moving along at a decent pace each morning, without feeling like we are rushing at all. 95% of the time we are on the road, lunches are made up of meat and cheese and fruit plates, again easy to prepare and virtually no clean up. I really like the KISS approach to the wya we do things, it keeps the stress down, keeps cleaning and dishes to a minimum allows us to have more time to relax and enjoy the places we have driven to see.

stemwinder.jpg

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

We did a 3 week 8500+km trip North 2 summers ago now. We are both early risers, so we normally try to get moving by about 8am and plan to be at least looking for a camp spot by 1pm, and to be parked and relaxing by no latert than 3pm on any given day. Their are exceptions, based on a timetable or where we may be traveling where we may decide ot put in a full day of driving, to get closer to somewhere, and we try to spend at least 2 nights in a good spot once per week week of travel. Over many years of motorcycle travel, and regualt camping trips, and now with these styles of "overland" setups, we've done a pretty good job of simplifying what we carry and fine tuned our set-up and breakdown ot the point we cna pretty much be 100% setep and sipping on a beer within 15 minutes of pulling into any given camp spot (having the Four Wheel Camper really helps and it was one of the main reasons we went with this style of portable mobile accommodation). While we are on the road, we will always brew coffee in the morning, but unless we are psending multiple days in a certain spot breakfast usually consists of a quickly made up bowl of granola with yogurt and fruit on the side. This also allows us to get cleaned up and moving along at a decent pace each morning, without feeling like we are rushing at all. 95% of the time we are on the road, lunches are made up of meat and cheese and fruit plates, again easy to prepare and virtually no clean up. I really like the KISS approach to the wya we do things, it keeps the stress down, keeps cleaning and dishes to a minimum allows us to have more time to relax and enjoy the places we have driven to see.

View attachment 151360
Which valley are you overlooking there ?

Lou Skannon

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Winnipeg, MB, Canada
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Skannon
Poor fuel mileage and an uncomfortable ride make our days short and make our progress slow. I hate filling the diesel tank more than once a day. If we stop somewhere one night, we usually stop two unless it's a truckstop. Carrying bicycles and kayaks lets us explore without breaking camp. After 44 years and 4 million miles of truck-driving, I'm not in any hurry although there are still plenty of places I haven't been.

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA

View attachment 151347

I also keep my windows vented on my hardshell and have never had an issue with condensation. I do not have any condensation mat on the tent. I also use a coleman bag laid over me but have a truckers type heated throw under the sheet that I can plug into the 12 volt socket just in case I get too cold. The heat rises and the coleman bag/blanket keeps the warmth in. Thanks for the link on the jungle blankets, I just added them to the list. Do you have a link for the sleep sacks you use?

So no condensation for me either.... However, it is just me. When there is 2, 3, or 4 others in there breathing I am not sure the venting will keep up with that amount of moisture. This of course would have to be evaluated for each setup to see if the venting will work or not.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I also keep my windows vented on my hardshell and have never had an issue with condensation. I do not have any condensation mat on the tent. I also use a coleman bag laid over me but have a truckers type heated throw under the sheet that I can plug into the 12 volt socket just in case I get too cold. The heat rises and the coleman bag/blanket keeps the warmth in. Thanks for the link on the jungle blankets, I just added them to the list. Do you have a link for the sleep sacks you use?

So no condensation for me either.... However, it is just me. When there is 2, 3, or 4 others in there breathing I am not sure the venting will keep up with that amount of moisture. This of course would have to be evaluated for each setup to see if the venting will work or not.

Hi there, yep, there are often simple solutions to big problems. For me, and sounds like you too, simple venting eases or eliminates condensation. I'd rather be sleeping in my RTT on cold nights than anywhere else, including in a bed in a house. It's just the best and deepest sleep. I wake up with a grin on my face, so pleased that it is so comfortable and so simple to do.

The Snugpak jungle blankets are killer. There are other companies that make similar, too, with some new tech fibre insulation that doesn't bunch or clump; I just like the quality Snugpak products in general so keep buying from them. They have some cool bivy tents, sleeping bags, hammocks, regular tents, and packs, etc. I have a few of their Dri-Saks in various sizes (great for wet weather and boating) and their All-Weather Notebook, too.

The jungle blankets are super easy to push back in their stuff sacks and keep in the car for emergency overnights, take with in my canoe, or use around camp. I'd watch them around a pine fire, though, as the shell may get holes from shooting sparks.

The sleep sacks I like a lot are by Friendly Swede, and are simple sleeping bag shaped sacks with an opening on one side with a simple velcro tab, and a pillow pocket. I just turn them inside out if I want the opening on the other side and pillow pocket the same. They're roomy, too, and pack about as small as large man's hand, making them easy to take if canoeing or biking. Don't know about you, but I hate mummy style bags and sacks and always feel restricted in movement. These don't do that in the least. They provide an extra layer of insulation too, through simply creating another air pocket between you and the cold.

They offer one with a zipper, and you can get one made of micro-fiber, looks like, though I've found the simple least expensive one to be more than sufficient and very comfortable.

Hope you find them worthwhile!

California Overland

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Roseville, Ca.
Member #

Don't know about you, but I hate mummy style bags and sacks and always feel restricted in movement.
I'm finding myself moving further and further away from sleeping bags too. I even bought a more roomy, and expensive, bag from Nemo a few years ago. Very roomy compared to a standard mummy but still too constricting for my sleep style. Think: starfish.

My other issue with sleeping bags is temperature regulation. If you're zipped up in your 30 degree goose down bag that you paid a lot of money for you're steaming hot in 5 minutes, so you open your zipper and hang body parts out and the cold air cools your limbs down but inside the bag your core is still steaming! And this goes on until sometime around 2am when it's cool enough to zip the darn thing up and finally be temperature neutral. But I digress.

So, I bought a heavy flannel sheet set and those have been a nice. Still looking for a good comforter that isn't too bulky and can be washed at the end of a trip. Those requirements kind of rule out using my heavy wool Pendleton. Maybe one of those Jungle Blankets layered with the flannel sheets are worth a shot? Are the Jungle Blankets insulated at all? I've looked at the Rumpl blankets but $200 for a single blanket is too spendy.

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA

Hi there, yep, there are often simple solutions to big problems. For me, and sounds like you too, simple venting eases or eliminates condensation. I'd rather be sleeping in my RTT on cold nights than anywhere else, including in a bed in a house. It's just the best and deepest sleep. I wake up with a grin on my face, so pleased that it is so comfortable and so simple to do.

The Snugpak jungle blankets are killer. There are other companies that make similar, too, with some new tech fibre insulation that doesn't bunch or clump; I just like the quality Snugpak products in general so keep buying from them. They have some cool bivy tents, sleeping bags, hammocks, regular tents, and packs, etc. I have a few of their Dri-Saks in various sizes (great for wet weather and boating) and their All-Weather Notebook, too.

The jungle blankets are super easy to push back in their stuff sacks and keep in the car for emergency overnights, take with in my canoe, or use around camp. I'd watch them around a pine fire, though, as the shell may get holes from shooting sparks.

The sleep sacks I like a lot are by Friendly Swede, and are simple sleeping bag shaped sacks with an opening on one side with a simple velcro tab, and a pillow pocket. I just turn them inside out if I want the opening on the other side and pillow pocket the same. They're roomy, too, and pack about as small as large man's hand, making them easy to take if canoeing or biking. Don't know about you, but I hate mummy style bags and sacks and always feel restricted in movement. These don't do that in the least. They provide an extra layer of insulation too, through simply creating another air pocket between you and the cold.

They offer one with a zipper, and you can get one made of micro-fiber, looks like, though I've found the simple least expensive one to be more than sufficient and very comfortable.

Hope you find them worthwhile!

It sounds like you and I have very similar sleeping preferences as I hate mummy sacks also. I have never owned one and it was enough to try one out for 30 seconds at REI to know I will not be using one. Cool, thanks for the links on those products, I guess it's time to spend more money. :) .

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

So, I bought a heavy flannel sheet set and those have been a nice. Still looking for a good comforter that isn't too bulky and can be washed at the end of a trip. Those requirements kind of rule out using my heavy wool Pendleton. Maybe one of those Jungle Blankets layered with the flannel sheets are worth a shot? Are the Jungle Blankets insulated at all? I've looked at the Rumpl blankets but $200 for a single blanket is too spendy.
Yep, I hear you on the Pendleton. I have a great Italian wool army surplus blanket that is super dense and heavy-weight. I've thought about leaving it up in the RTT because my bedding stays up there all the time. Would be great for winter camping or for making a bushcraft bedroll for hiking.

The jungle blankets are pretty much just insulation between two layers of water-repellant, wind-resistant fabric. They call it their Travelsoft insulation. I don't know what the hell it is made of, but it's very effective. You can cram it into the stuff sack and leave it for weeks and when you use it again the insulation has not compressed and does not bunch or settle. Just lofts right back up. Super light weight, too. A single blanket weighs only 25oz.

The blankets have one side that is a bit more shiny than the other. In experimenting with them, I haven't found a damned bit of difference in which side is up as far as being more reflective of body heat. It may be more about wind-resistance and water repellency.

The fabric is little slippery and if you move around a lot in your sleep you may find it sliding around. With the cheap sleeping bag spread out and open over me, then the jungle blanket(s) on top of that, it hasn't been a problem and it stays put just fine. That may be in part due to the inner sleep sack I use being slippery, too, and when I move around within the sleep sack it doesn't move the sleeping bag, therefore not what's on top of it, either.

They're 5'4" wide and 6'4" long, too, so plenty big to spread out over a sleeping bag. Because the fabric is a tad slippery, especially if you have them piled on each other, I've thought several times of making a thin flannel cover that would fit three or four jungle blankets. That would make a big lofty comforter. Let me know if you sandwich one of them between flannel and how that works for you.

On really cold nights I've used up to three jungle blankets on top of the cheap sleeping bag. For the money (keep an eye on the pricing, it goes up and down), you can buy a few of them and still be less out of pocket than many high-end sleeping bags.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

It sounds like you and I have very similar sleeping preferences as I hate mummy sacks also. I have never owned one and it was enough to try one out for 30 seconds at REI to know I will not be using one. Cool, thanks for the links on those products, I guess it's time to spend more money. :) .

You're very welcome. I had an Army surplus down mummy bag for years that I hitchhiked with. It was super effective on cold nights, but man I hated not being able to kick a leg out.

jmjardine

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Sonoma County, CA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
J
Member #

Our preference is to drive somewhere new everyday. But, if all goes as planned, we try to limit driving each day to 2-5 hrs if possible. Get to camp shortly after lunch and have plenty of time to explore the new area and setup camp etc. Don't rush to get out in the morning and keep it slow and steady. We did this for 3 weeks last summer with two teenagers and worked well to prevent burnout. Also made sure to take time to visit farmers markets, local must-sees, etc.