South Bay Area California
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Walker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kn6flm
The ghosting aspect really really bothers me. It’s something the younger crowd seems to favor and it’s about as unprofessional as it gets in my opinion. You would never pass by on a trail and not eyeball a rig or camp to see if they might need help with something and if they did you certainly wouldn’t not stop. Here somebody waved a flag yelling help me and now that we did they took off into the sunset and left us. It’s a bad taste for sure :(

Reactions: HaVeeBear

Wayne11B

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Sumner, Pierce County, Washington, United States
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Daniels
Member #

Service Branch
Veteran/Army
I don't know about the selling to someone else. But I do believe that through Republic that you can with some research switch your investment into something else that looks a lot more promising. Hope that helps a bit.
Also here is a contact that I used to report my frustrations with the whole Perks issue for a bunch of us. His name is David Ledbetter and I texted directly to his cell number and sent through his email my issues about how they are not really making a priority to get this all ironed out. Phone number (209) 202-3706 and email: david.ledbetter@overlandbound.com . I just sent messages last week and he responded that he was turning this over directly to Corrie (Michael's Wife). That was two days ago. So I'll see if anything happens with this approach.

Wayne11B

Rank III

Enthusiast II

First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Daniels
Member #

Service Branch
Veteran/Army
The ghosting aspect really really bothers me. It’s something the younger crowd seems to favor and it’s about as unprofessional as it gets in my opinion. You would never pass by on a trail and not eyeball a rig or camp to see if they might need help with something and if they did you certainly wouldn’t not stop. Here somebody waved a flag yelling help me and now that we did they took off into the sunset and left us. It’s a bad taste for sure :(
I completely understand and feel the same way as you. I want OB to be successful. But the way they are not putting 100% effort into fixing this issue for a bunch of us. Leaves me with not much faith at all in how they view us as members. Or how they are handling this.

Brian Glendenning

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Socorro, NM
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Glendenning
Member #

Just wondering who to contact about selling my investment and if it’s even possible. Send numerous emails and even sent a DM to @Michael but still no answer. If ostrich management is the way of OB then not sure its for me.
Thought the investment was well worth it a $500 for life as that’s less than 10 years fees. The perks were a bonus but the way we are ignored now we’ve paid just screams scam.
My understanding of Crowd SAFE is that you either have to wait for a liquidity event or find someone else to buy your investment. Dubious it will ever pay off or that you will be able to sell it (I doubt the perks transfer, which I suspect would be the main motivation for a new buyer, but am not sure). Good luck!

billum v2.0

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flyover Country
Member #

As an early member and sometime contributor, a couple thoughts.

These comments come from nearly four decades in private finance and what's unfolded through this thread.

@Michael , @Corrie , @DavidL should each take 5 minutes, read this thread in its entirety (particularly Michael's initial post and in particular his reference to "Founding Principals", "Community", etc.), reflect for a half second on whatever they deem reflection worthy, wander over to a mirror and take a look. I'm well aware of the rush to monetize a good/great but fleeting concept............however,

In professional finance, we have a short, concise description of folks who behave in this manner. "Drink like Men, Pay like Boys". The goodwill of the folks here who "invested" in your idea have bought their round for the house, now you're excusing yourselves to use the bathroom and slipping out a side door when it's your turn? There's no third option here, you either execute or you don't.

Emtmark

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast II

First Name
Mark
Last Name
Walker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kn6flm

These comments come from nearly four decades in private finance and what's unfolded through this thread.

@Michael , @Corrie , @DavidL should each take 5 minutes, read this thread in its entirety (particularly Michael's initial post and in particular his reference to "Founding Principals", "Community", etc.), reflect for a half second on whatever they deem reflection worthy, wander over to a mirror and take a look. I'm well aware of the rush to monetize a good/great but fleeting concept............however,

In professional finance, we have a short, concise description of folks who behave in this manner. "Drink like Men, Pay like Boys". The goodwill of the folks here who "invested" in your idea have bought their round for the house, now you're excusing yourselves to use the bathroom and slipping out a side door when it's your turn? There's no third option here, you either execute or you don't.
Excellent comments

Wayne11B

Rank III

Enthusiast II

First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Daniels
Member #

Service Branch
Veteran/Army

Very well put.

HaVeeBear

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Elkridge, Maryland, United States
First Name
Javier
Last Name
Armendariz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3VWL

It's hard to quantify how much damage this does to the brand. Trust is one of the top (if not the top) attributes people look for in other people and companies as well...this does not develop trust....

As an investor I did receive my perks and was very happy with early communications. The lack of response to this thread, however, does make me uneasy...

Last edited:

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

I toyed with the idea, kinda glad I didn't now ...

Very well put.

@Michael @Corrie
For what it's worth from a non-investor, I think those who did invest deserve explanation/updates/investment returns expectations.
Those who didn't invest at least deserve to understand something of what's going on.

This topic makes for some sorry reading.

Reactions: KonzaLander

billum v2.0

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flyover Country
Member #

It's hard to quantify how much damage this does to the brand. Trust is one of the top (if not the top) attributes people look for in other people and companies as well...this does not develop trust....

As an investor I did receive my perks and was very happy with early communications. The lack of response to his thread, however, does make me uneasy...
No doubt.

If you haven't, start from the first post and read the early enthusiasum/optimism/ goodwill from the "Community", the ongoing "Investor" goodwill in the face of reality and then, to here. The respectful "could you possibly, if not too much trouble, look in to the stuff that was promised". The respectfulness whittled away by further unkept promises, silly excuses ("backed into my car") looking for sympathy and diverting folk's attention from the issue at hand, the "direct your inquiries to this guy", who eventually passes the buck back. It reads, quite impressively and succinctly, as what it is. There are still folks who believe a reasonable explanation can salvage something. I do this for a living. If it quacks, waddles, webbed feet, feathers, flys, lays eggs............I'm good with forming an educated opinion.

I have no skin in the game other than as a member and at one point, potential client of the mapping software. In my business, I glean much of potential client character by how they treat support staff, waiters, folks they don't think matter in their orbit. Speaks volumes. No stomach for it at any level.

Reactions: KonzaLander

Emtmark

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast II

First Name
Mark
Last Name
Walker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kn6flm
There must be an agent of record? A corporate address? Somewhere we can send real correspondence asking for redress?

Emtmark

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast II

First Name
Mark
Last Name
Walker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kn6flm
Granted I have no "DOG" in this fight, so please billium v2.0 and those others with incite explain to me why you are all "setting the bar" so high for the OB directors?
Aren't they just following the modern Entrepreneurial Formula: No Sweat, No Equity, A Sales Pitch, and a URL?
Can’t speak for anyone but me. If you say your going to do something, sack up and do it. I don’t care about anybody else’s online scam just the one I put money in. I’d be as dogged with them if I had skin in the game. I believed in the program and it’s ideals. I put my money on the table and now I want somebody to keep their word. Anything less is an affront and will serve as a warning to any others thinking about going into business. If we don’t watchdog nobody will.

Reactions: nickburt

billum v2.0

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flyover Country
Member #

Granted I have no "DOG" in this fight, so please billium v2.0 and those others with incite explain to me why you are all "setting the bar" so high for the OB directors?
Aren't they just following the modern Entrepreneurial Formula: No Sweat, No Equity, A Sales Pitch, and a URL?
Even if ironically/sarcastically, You asked me specifically;

Your reference to the "Modern Entrepreneureal Formual" isn't lost and isn't off base.........except (and why rubs me wrong);

This started out being a website for comradery amoung folks with differing degrees of experience/passions for an activity (me included). Experiences shared, good conversations/useful advice exchanged, friendships developed (or not), everyone knows the drill. The folks who made the leap to "investors" didn't do it for typical monetary gain, they literally "bought in" to something that had a principal value to them, with a trinket attached to validate their belief. People expect to be disappointed by politicans, bankers, lawyers. But ordinary people with shared passions let down by other people who profess the same over something so inconsequential, something that can and should be so easily rectified..........well, that's something different in my opinion.

One of our State Parks was promoting a fundraiser last year. Trinket acknowledgement attached based on fundraising level. Family members engaged at a committed level. Checks cashed, followed by crickets. Followed by louder crickets. Followed by two daughters being unacceptably rude to one of the Park Rangers because of the experience. The value of the trinket wasn't the issue, their experience was. It left a mark. It shaped a view.

Last edited:

Emtmark

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast II

First Name
Mark
Last Name
Walker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kn6flm
Even if ironically/sarcastically, You asked me specifically;

Your reference to the "Modern Entrepreneureal Formual" isn't lost and isn't off base.........except (and why rubs me wrong);

This started out being a website for comradery amoung folks with differing degrees of experience/passions for an activity (me included). Experiences shared, good conversations/advice, friendships developed (or not), everyone knows the drill. The folks who made the leap to "investors" didn't do it for typical monetary gain, they literally "bought in" to something that had a principal value to them, with a trinket attached to validate their belief. People expect to be disappointed by politicans, bankers, lawyers. But ordinary people with shared passions let down by other people who profess the same over something so inconsequential, something that can and should be so easily rectified..........well, that's something different in my opinion.

One of our State Parks was promoting a fundraiser last year. Trinket acknowledgement attached based on fundraising level. Family members engauged at a committed level. Checks cashed, followed by crickets. Followed by louder crickets. Followed by two daughters being unacceptably rude to one of the Park Rangers because of the experience. The value of the trinket wasn't the issue, their experience was.
Eloquent

Emtmark

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast II

First Name
Mark
Last Name
Walker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kn6flm
Hmmmm. Interesting. Been trying figure out my perks but I don't even have an Investor badge.

Pretty shocked by the comments here. My trust was given due to founders being brother veterans.
Best friend did 12 years with the 82nd. Had an electrician advertised as a vet, hired him. He dicked me around and when I spoke to my friend he told me just because there a vet doesn’t mean they are honorable. I give vets a longer leash than anyone else but I still keep an eye on them.

As a side note, e4 mafia is real

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

[snip]
This started out being a website for comradery amoung folks with differing degrees of experience/passions for an activity (me included). Experiences shared, good conversations/useful advice exchanged, friendships developed (or not), everyone knows the drill. The folks who made the leap to "investors" didn't do it for typical monetary gain, they literally "bought in" to something that had a principal value to them, with a trinket attached to validate their belief. People expect to be disappointed by politicans, bankers, lawyers. But ordinary people with shared passions let down by other people who profess the same over something so inconsequential, something that can and should be so easily rectified..........well, that's something different in my opinion.
[snip]
Good points, well made.

Emtmark

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast II

First Name
Mark
Last Name
Walker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kn6flm
Well I guess it is good to know that some investors have insight as well as incite. However, I am still having a hard time wrapping my head around the situation ( sorry, I am not the sharpest "tool" in the Land Rover)... Are you mad because you bought into the "Cracker Jack" sales ploy, and aren't happy because you were hoping for a better trinket? Or, are you disappointed in yourself because you bought into a " Cracker Jack" sales ploy.
Mad at myself for sure and projecting a bit at the people who have concocted the, as you put it, the Cracker Jack ploy.

For the record I’ve never been disappointed with my Cracker Jack trinkets. There was one inside every single box I’ve ever had. Never had to call corporate, or email them for 10 months, etc. They cultivated the product and put in place processes to ensure that what they marketed and sold would deliver on their promise. I’d be willing to wager a box of cracker jacks that if you didn’t get their trinket that they would even send you one to make it right. Great analogy, sort of highlights the disconnect.

Reactions: Joaquin Suave

LandyR3

Rank VII
Investor

Inventor II

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Peters
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
UHF - Australia
Well I guess it is good to know that some investors have insight as well as incite. However, I am still having a hard time wrapping my head around the situation ( sorry, I am not the sharpest "tool" in the Land Rover)... Are you mad because you bought into the "Cracker Jack" sales ploy, and aren't happy because you were hoping for a better trinket? Or, are you disappointed in yourself because you bought into a " Cracker Jack" sales ploy.
It’s not the buying in that’s the issue is the ignoring.
$500 for life time membership was what I bought.
The way we are being treated not sure I want to be a member anymore

Reactions: MiamiC70