Contributor II

Cottonwood Heights, UT
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Baker
Member #

IMG_4697.JPG

So this past May (2017) I purchased a 1994 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80. I had been casually looking into getting into the overland community when this cruiser popped up for sale near my cousin's house at Fort Bragg. Since we were planning a visit that weekend anyways, we decided we'd "just have a look."

My experience working on cars/engines is mostly from looking over my father's shoulder rebuilding dirt bike engines as a kid. I know just enough to get pretty deep into trouble. I also don't know how my dad did anything without YouTube tutorial videos.

So far I've only done minor cosmetic changes such as a patch a few rust holes, bedliner the fender flares, replace the carpet and change out the radiator. I've taken pictures of most of these steps, and I'll add these in future posts.

As time and money permits, next steps on my list include sliders, new exhaust, rear bumper and tire carrier, and a roof rack (not necessarily in that order).

We've already taken the cruiser out on several adventures...as that's primarily what we got it for. I'll be sure to upload those pics as well.

Here's to great adventure both in the garage and out on the trails!

-JCruise

JCruise

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cottonwood Heights, UT
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Baker
Member #

So one of the first upgrades I did was install this cup holder from BH3D printing that my mother-in-law purchased off of Etsy.

IMG_4784.jpg
IMG_4783.jpg

Next, I repaired a rust hole that was above the exhaust pipe on the lower quarter panel. (Top, before: Bottom, after).

IMG_4865.JPG

For never having worked with fiberglass or bondo, I feel it turned out well. I reinforced the holes with wire mesh which will hopefully provide it with sufficient rigidity and strength. I would love to add welding to my skill set, but that will have to come at a later time.

I'll end this post with one of the first trips we took with the Cruiser. We loaded up the family (including grandparents and the pup) and headed out for a beach day at Top Sail, NC.

IMG_4821.JPG

(I eventually turned the top of the snorkel around so that it was facing the correct direction. The previous owner had it positioned that way to "avoid rain water," which I learned is unnecessary.)

-JCruise

94Cruiser

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Suisun City, California
Member #

Is that because you have one and are just a bit biased, or are there specific details that make the 94 better than say a 96 or a 93?

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using OB Talk mobile app
Because..... FZJ motor......no airbags (last year) and... full floating rear hubs..... and... lockers.... and last year of that dash design.... And of course.... I own one...20180224_172009.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920T using OB Talk mobile app

94Cruiser

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Suisun City, California
Member #

Reactions: Gregory Youngblood

Gregory Youngblood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

that's in addition to all of the other features that make the 80 stand out...

I'm thankful for the no airbags mostly

I had a 96 (just posted pics in the RIP thread). Loved it but had to sell it. Have a couple of ideas for another rig but the call of another 80 is strong.

I do like the no air bag. I wanted to replace the steering wheel on my 96 and the airbag made it a pain and expensive. I'll go with you on the 94 just for that one reason.

Reactions: 94Cruiser

94Cruiser

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Suisun City, California
Member #

I had a 96 (just posted pics in the RIP thread). Loved it but had to sell it. Have a couple of ideas for another rig but the call of another 80 is strong.

I do like the no air bag. I wanted to replace the steering wheel on my 96 and the airbag made it a pain and expensive. I'll go with you on the 94 just for that one reason.

The 94 also introduced R134 instead of R12
93-94 also offers 4wheel disc brakes and a supercharger option (lol)

Reactions: Gregory Youngblood

Gregory Youngblood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

The 94 also introduced R134 instead of R12
93-94 also offers 4wheel disc brakes and a supercharger option (lol)

Haha no supercharger for me, something else to go wrong. But do like the 4 wheel disk and r134 too. Haha

Reactions: 94Cruiser

JCruise

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cottonwood Heights, UT
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Baker
Member #

The next upgrade, was installing carpet. The previous owner had removed the carpet and sprayed down bedliner. Wanting comfort over function we decided to reinstall the carpet. Below you'll see before and after pictures with the seats removed. I forgot to take a picture of this step, but prior to putting down the carpet we lined the whole floorboard with Noico 80 mil sound deadening mat. Made a huge difference with road noise, and has seemed to help keep some of the engine heat out as well.

IMG_4908.JPG
Brother- and father-in-law helping me out with the install.

IMG_4910.jpg
(I'm curious if anyone could post a pic of the factory carpet install. I'm wondering how Toyota hid this seam (see above) between the front and rear pieces of carpet. Maybe the original carpet was all one piece? Or maybe there's a plastic trim piece that I'm missing? The seam is not as noticeable once the seats are in as you can see in the next picture.)

With the seats back in.

IMG_4982.jpg

Feels like a brand new car!

-JCruise

Sidetrekked Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Possum Kingdom Lake, Texas
First Name
David and Dayna
Last Name
Coston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5NXU GMRS:WROE726
Service Branch
USMC
At the risk of sounding stupid and wanting to ask in conversation vs. spend time on google, what does "R12 and R134" refer to?
The coolant used in the air conditioner.

I'll add that 92 is my favorite year model of the landcruiser. The only reason is because I own one and of course owe nothing on it. :)

Last edited:

JCruise

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cottonwood Heights, UT
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Baker
Member #

Next, I patched the matching rust hole on the left rear quarter panel (that I accidentally discovered by pushing my hand through from the inside of the truck). I eventually figured out (a few months later) that the trim pieces under the rear sliding windows have small gaskets that eventually fail and then water begins to pool in the rear quarter panels...thus the matching rust holes.

IMG_5106.JPG

I used fiberglass, steel mesh, and bondo to patch the hole.

IMG_5114.JPG
IMG_5115.JPG

Finished at 11:30pm the night before taking the cruiser out to Uwharrie Natl. Forest. It was pouring rain outside that night...luckily got to do the repairs in the garage.

All the rain made for good muddin' at Uwharrie.

IMG_5122.JPG

Cruiser performed admirably...minus the a/c belt snapping on our way up. Nothing that a quick stop at Autozone couldn't fix.

IMG_5124.JPG

Our camp set up for the weekend. Wife and I slept in the back of the cruiser...daughter and pup slept in the attached tent.

IMG_5118.JPG

-JCruise

JCruise

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cottonwood Heights, UT
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Baker
Member #

On our way back from Uwharrie Natl. Forest, I noticed that the radiator was about on it's last legs. When I got home I ordered a replacement OEM radiator of the ol' interwebs and had it shipped home.

Later that week my wife was driving the cruiser as her car was in getting a new starter installed. Something that I learned is somewhat common in Honda Civics. We had had the civic towed in the morning to the dealer and my wife was out running errands in the cruiser with the little one.

It was pouring down rain, and of course that's when the radiator decided to breathe it's last breath. A big billowing breath of white smoke coming from under the hood. My wife called me in a panic, while I was at work and I instructed her to pull over as soon as she could when it was safe. She made it to the bank parking lot.

I met her in the parking lot, along with the same tow truck driver that had towed our civic in the morning. He was more than happy to help and got the cruiser home safely. All in the pouring rain. A quick switch of the car seat, a trip to the Honda dealer to pick up the civic, and we were able to get all cars home safely. I'm glad we have AAA and USAA.

That next weekend, the radiator arrived and I was able to swap it out.

Old radiator.IMG_5338.JPG

New radiator.

IMG_5339.JPG

Getting the fan and fan shroud back in was awesome fun. They put extra radiator fins in right?!

-JCruise

Last edited:
Reactions: Graeman

NicholsPack

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Carrollton, VA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Nicholson
Member #

Nice build so far! I’ve got a 93 and a lot of baselining to do as soon as my old rig sells. If you haven’t checked ih8mud.com for the forum resources for landcruisers, I strongly recommend it. Community is very knowledgeable and friendly.

For that seem there’s several small studs in the floor that pop into plastic rivnuts in the cargo section. Basically the front section goes down first and the rear section secured them both. I don’t recall there being a trim piece on top, but I’ll check when I get home.

I know this is coming a few days late, but the factory coolant hoses tend to rot from the inside and not show much, if any, wear on the exterior before they fail. Same with the heater control valve. All hoses and the control valve are available through Absolute Wits End. Lots of other products designed for landcruisers by land cruiser owners on there as well!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

JCruise

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cottonwood Heights, UT
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Baker
Member #

Nice build so far! I’ve got a 93 and a lot of baselining to do as soon as my old rig sells. If you haven’t checked ih8mud.com for the forum resources for landcruisers, I strongly recommend it. Community is very knowledgeable and friendly.

For that seem there’s several small studs in the floor that pop into plastic rivnuts in the cargo section. Basically the front section goes down first and the rear section secured them both. I don’t recall there being a trim piece on top, but I’ll check when I get home.

I know this is coming a few days late, but the factory coolant hoses tend to rot from the inside and not show much, if any, wear on the exterior before they fail. Same with the heater control valve. All hoses and the control valve are available through Absolute Wits End. Lots of other products designed for landcruisers by land cruiser owners on there as well!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Thanks for the reply. I look up stuff on ih8mudd frequently. It’s a huge time saver.

Regarding the seam, I’ll have to check if I layered the carpet correctly. I did notice the small studs poking up from the floor boards. The carpet I purchased has rubber backing and with both layers I do not feel the studs will reach through the carpet to grab onto anything meaningful. Any idea where I may be able to purchase those small plastic nuts if I decide to install those?

Thanks for the insight on the hoses. When I changed out the radiator I had a thought to switch those out as well but I was impatient. Hopefully I don’t pay for that later. :). I’ll check out that website for sure and prob order the hoses for when I have some extra time on a weekend.

My next immediate projects will be repairing the exhaust system. The PO deleted the 2nd catalytic converter and the O2 sensor's are not working. And then there’s a pin hole sized leak in the top of my fuel tank that needs tending to. I found a replacement tank on cruiser parts that I think I’m going to purchase.

Half of the adventure is solving problems in the driveway/garage.

Thanks for the reply!

Last edited: