Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

How do you guys deal with these types of situations considering they are obstructing the passage of the convoy?

I have heard of winching techniques and using both a chain saw and winch combined to pull obstacles clear of the trail. Have you ever encountered this issue and if so how was it dealt with?

If these obstacles are too large to clear alone who do we reach out to in order to get the obstacles cleared?

Last edited:

Titan Tom

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Los Angeles
Member #

Hard to say how tall those are. I'd say try pushing it slowly with bumper if it's tough enough. Maybe even Rock it to develope some momentum. Try digging on the opposite side first to create a bank to direct the roll. Seems a 45 maybe 60 deg cut behind it into the dirt will move it just enough with a nudge from ur rig.

Reactions: Nickzero

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I've had to clear a bunch of trees doing Adopt a Trail work over the years. Last weekend we had two main roads blocked because of downed trees. We had to turn back.

The issue with winching is trees weigh a bunch. Ive cut them and winched the sections, I don't think I could have pushed one with my vehicle. Pulling them with a strap, you pull from the small end. The big end likes to dig in.

How you remove it depends on how big and what angles. We normally had 2 saws minimum. The trees this last weekend needed a bigger saw then we had and way more time. If their on a main dirt road, forest service normally deals with them. Side road or trail it will normally be a volunteer of some sort (which means you or I). Most of the trees I had to deal with were around 24 inch diameter max. This last weekend, they were much bigger.

Scott

HOT-ROD

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Sanford, ME, USA
Member #

Any kind of storm/wind I’ll load up my saw just in case on my normal d/d days. But if I havnt been on a trail and don’t know what’s ahead, I’ll pack it slap the 25” bar on and at least be prepared. I’ve never had a winch (until a few weeks ago) and I just hooked up my logging chain and pulled them out of the way.

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

How do you guys deal with these types of situations considering they are obstructing the passage of the convoy?

I have heard of winching techniques and using both a chain saw and winch combined to pull obstacles clear of the trail. Have you ever encountered this issue and if so how was it dealt with?

If these obstacles are too large to clear alone who do we reach out to in order to get the obstacles cleared?

It really does depend on where you are, condition of the Surroundings, Vehicles in the convoy, etc... In the Spring time we carry a Chain Saw, with 2 spare Bars/Paddles and Chains, a 23" and a 27", around the house the 18" is good enough. We also carry 2 manual "Come a Longs" for control of the cut Stump. We try to make sure we left it, better than we found it.

RootedWanderers

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Pelham, Alabama 35124
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

When me and a friend went to Expo East in November we took the Georgia Traverse from Alabama up there and knew ahead of time that since there had been a hurricane through there a couple months earlier that we would probably run into trees down across the route. We carried chainsaw and axe and did end up using the chainsaw 3 different times along the way.

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
Iv used a hi lift before It took a tremendous amount of time to push it inch by inch. It was a spot where I couldn’t pull it. And I couldn’t push it with the vehicle atleast. But I would imagine there would be a limit to where the hi lift would just be too dangerous to use

avgjoe624

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fayetteville, NC, USA
Member #

cut sections with a saw, or depending on the size of the tree, just winch it to the side of the road. use a snatch block to a bigger tree off the trail to pull it off the side of the trail.

if you have a nice saw and the time, cut it up for firewood for someone who might need it coming behind you.

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

Iv used a hi lift before It took a tremendous amount of time to push it inch by inch. It was a spot where I couldn’t pull it. And I couldn’t push it with the vehicle atleast. But I would imagine there would be a limit to where the hi lift would just be too dangerous to use
I agree a hi lift would take more time however it would still have some effectiveness pulling the fallen tree. I have also seen other overlanders using chainsaws in conjunction with hi lift jacks in order to clear fallen trees from a popular trail. I guess the key is to lighten the pulling load as much as you can before attempting a pull.

Reactions: Chetta58

ckkphoto

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rome, Georgia US
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Knitig
Member #

I keep chainsaw and timber jack always because I am frequently alone. Cut the tree at both spots where it crosses the road then pull it to the side with a chain. Pull backwards till I can roll past it then forward to get it to the side of the road. then go on. once in a while I will fill the bed with wood on the way back.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

It really depends where you are and if its a whole tree, half a tree or just a few branches. The size of the tree also makes a difference. I use machete, axe or winch depending on the size sometimes you can just drive over if its a dead log there are times i just move it by hand

20190622_132428.jpg

OtherOrb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ
First Name
Moses
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7QIF
Similar discussion here: To Chainsaw or not to Chainsaw, that is the question

I don't carry a chainsaw when I'm overlanding/exploring. The forests in my area are simply too dry most of the time for chainsaw use to be safe without all of the fire suppression equipment necessary. I carry that equipment when I am out woodcutting, but I don't carry all of it when I'm exploring. Different jobs, different tools.

I always carry a bow saw, an axe, plenty of wedges, and various tow straps and chains. I will remove the tree from the road if it's possible. If not, I'll mark the location and let the forest service know when I can get in contact with them.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Many if not most of the roads we overland on are private roads built by resource companies to access the resource. So even driving on them should require permission. Once you start "logging" on them you definitely need permission.... or turn around. You are on a private road.

If you are on a public road or highway, contact the authority responsible for maintenance.

"Passage of the convoy"..... this is why roads are gated and decommissioned. We sometimes think we have the right to have a private party on public or private land. One of the reasons I prefer to overland alone. So many considerations once you break out the chainsaws. Where will you throw the logs? Into the ditch? Which could/will block the flow of water leading to a wash out and contamination of the drinking water off the watershed?

Best choice, if you do not have permission from the local authority to remove the obstruction, turn around. Look for signage to find out whose road you are on. Notify them. The sense of entitlement that your convoy schedule is your top concern is what leads resource companies to gating or digging a ditch across the road to stop the public from creating a problem.

OtherOrb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ
First Name
Moses
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7QIF
Best choice, if you do not have permission from the local authority to remove the obstruction, turn around. Look for signage to find out whose road you are on. Notify them. The sense of entitlement that your convoy schedule is your top concern is what leads resource companies to gating or digging a ditch across the road to stop the public from creating a problem.
I almost always carry a $20 permit for woodcutting in the local national forest (valid from early April to early December). This allows me to cut and remove most downed trees (up to 4 cords worth, counted by 1/4 cords) as long as I don't leave designated, open forest service roads. Most National Forests require a permit to cut downed trees, even if they're blocking the road, with the exception that you can do so without a permit if you are literally trapped by the tree. If your choice is to cut the tree or go offroad, they prefer that you cut the tree. If your choice is to take a slightly longer--but still--safe route, they prefer you take the longer route.