F150/250 for Overland rig?

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Have a 2017 f150 fx4 with the coyote v8. I love it except trying to park it. It has the turning radius of the titanic. However the v8 in it is sweet. If I were going to buy another, I would get the 5ft pan instead of the 6ft. Other than that put on an icon suspension and some good 33s and have a ball.

Reactions: Maverick9110E

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
"'Tight trails'' don't exist where I'm at. Overgrown trails that are just wider than singletrack now, and dirt roads that anything fits down. Wayne national forest is atv only now.

In my current travels, midsized and jeeps are obsolete. They can't carry dirtbikes well for the single track, and anywhere a fullsize fits, it's by far the superior choice. Sure you can still go down fullsize friendly roads with one, but a truck can carry more luxury on it's back.

Reactions: grubworm

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I would go with a F250 Gas. Diesel will add 600# plus and I don’t know that gets out of the shop for less than $1500.00. The reason the F250 cost so much more is the build, they are far more robust.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

F150 is a car with a box easy to exceed the GVWR.
F250 is a truck, heavy frame, heavy axles, lots of payload.

All that counts is which one is rated to carry your stuff.
And how tough does it need to be. I'm hard on vehicles, I'd never buy an F150.

Diesel vs Gas.

Depends on what you do. The diesel is a towing dream but unless you need that towing capacity, save the $$$ and go gas. Lighter, cheaper to maintain, better in extreme heat or cold. Modern diesels are frightening in remote locations.

Last edited:

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733

Diesel vs Gas.

Depends on what you do. The diesel is a towing dream but unless you need that towing capacity, save the $$$ and go gas. Lighter, cheaper to maintain, better in extreme heat or cold. Modern diesels are frightening in remote locations.
I'd argue the "car" comment. They're still built a HELL of a lot beefier than most cars and "suv's" out there. Frame strength, axles, etc. Mosts cars are unibodies. I'd take an F150 over a car or modern SUV any day. That being said i do agree that the Super Duty's are far and above the bar the F150 is at.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Diesel is usually over 1000# of lost cargo capacity. Don't forget dual batteries, dual alternators, dual coolant systems, massive DPF, DEF tank, And the weight is noticeable driving, especially in mud. Keep an eye on the door stickers if you ever plan on a slide in camper. 250 gas and 350 diesel might have the same cargo capacity. Heck, sometimes a gas 250 has more.

Also, butt massagers, moon roofs, fake Chinese leather (most likely lead), cameras, and doo dads add a ton of weight. An Xl can be 800# lighter sometimes.

Maybe a diesel is needed if this was a RV website. But overlanding just doesn't require that engine, unless you're doing something crazy like a F550 and 40" tires. The 6.2 and 7.3 are both plenty. My Cummins is actually slower than both of those engines with a 10,000# trailer. Choose carefully, and don't buy hype from momo's.

Last edited:

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
Diesel is usually over 1000# of lost cargo capacity. Don't forget dual batteries, dual alternators, dual coolant systems, massive DPF, DEF tank, And the weight is noticeable driving, especially in mud.

Maybe it's needed if this was a RV website. But overlanding just doesn't require that engine, unless you're doing something crazy like a F550 and 40" tires. The 6.2 and 7.3 are both plenty.
I think Ford's new gasser is supposed to be pretty sick too. That 7.3 is "supposed" to be engineered like a tank.

Reactions: MidOH

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I'd argue the "car" comment. They're still built a HELL of a lot beefier than most cars and "suv's" out there. Frame strength, axles, etc. Mosts cars are unibodies. I'd take an F150 over a car or modern SUV any day. That being said i do agree that the Super Duty's are far and above the bar the F150 is at.
The question was F150 vs F250.

Sure an F150 is a bit better than a Crown Vic but payload capacities are not much different. Plus, the F150 is built to be car ride plush. The F250 even with a few cowhides is no Lincoln.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
The 7.3 is tough. There's already tuned versions out there pushing 600 horsepower. Going to be one heck of a crate engine.

casey

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Concord, CA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Shields
Member #

I’m happy with my F150 Lariat 3.5 eco FX4. Rough country level and 33s. Since most of the time is spent on the highway getting to the trail, I’m happy with the comfort, especially with a 7 and 4 year old. Sure there are better choices out there for the trail and I’ll definitely be doing some upgrades, but it’s also my daily so I think it’s a good balance.

OverlandDeparture

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marana, AZ, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Duarte
Member #

i think id definitely go with a gas truck. I do think that F150s are still reliable and heavy duty but of course a 250 is even more durable, just as a 350 is even more HD than that.

but the truck would be used for long overlanding, daily use (dump runs, haul stuff to help friends or family moving and landscape, pull a boat or trailer)

granted unless im hauling rocks or stone, ill never put enough weight in the bed to make it sag. however i will say i am leaning more towards a 250 gas.

Reactions: Billiebob

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
Theres no denying an f250 is more capable, but if it's going to be an everyday vehicle as well, I don't think you can beat an f150, silverado 1500, ram 1500 at that function that will likely be 80%+ of it's use.

Reactions: Maverick9110E

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Have a 2017 f150 fx4 with the coyote v8. I love it except trying to park it. It has the turning radius of the titanic. However the v8 in it is sweet. If I were going to buy another, I would get the 5ft pan instead of the 6ft. Other than that put on an icon suspension and some good 33s and have a ball.
I'm always shocked how many truck-drivers don't know how to park them. I'm not saying you don't, I just find it interesting how often parking is considered the issue. Then again, I prefer to park at the far end of parking lots in end-spots anyway (even with my old-turd WJ) so I don't find myself squeezing into "traditional" side-by-side spots too often.

Still, when parking a truck, there are 2 main tricks. If you must go in forward, you initially aim like you're parking in the spot past your intended spot, even 1.5 spots past it depending on your wheelbase. You pull up as far as you can toward that next spot, cut the wheels all the way the other way, then back up. This puts the tail of your truck inline with your intended spot, and you just pull right in. I even see people with larger sedans or minivans struggling with this all the time. It blows my mind nobody ever learns this. The other trick, well, just back in. ;)

I would go with a F250 Gas. Diesel will add 600# plus and I don’t know that gets out of the shop for less than $1500.00. The reason the F250 cost so much more is the build, they are far more robust.
Unless you're keeping the truck fooooooooooorever the resale on the diesel truck will easily offset the slightly higher maintenance or repair costs (unless it's a 6.0 or 6.4 PSD). As for the weight, it's a relatively small percentage of the weight of the truck, and I don't see it as a big issue. I suppose if you sink it to the framerails in thick mud, it's a problem... but then, you have other issues at that point.

Diesel vs Gas.

I'm not aware of a car currently sold in the US that's still on a full-frame platform. I'm also not aware of a car with a real transfer case, low-range, etc. I'm not even a Ford or 1/2 ton guy, per say, but it's pretty silly to call them a "car with box." If properly optioned they have a decent GVWR ceiling for Overlanding (more CCC than most SUV/cross-overs we see for Overland use).

What is frightening about a modern diesel in a remote location that is NOT also frightening about a modern gasser in a remote location? If you want ZERO dependence on electronics, you want an old 12V Cummins (but even that is going to need a starter... so you're never 100% electricity-free). If you look at a modern diesel and then an engine like the Ecoboost twin turbo V6s in the F150s, both are extremely complex with tons of electrical systems.

Also, what is bad about a diesel in extreme heat or cold? I've towed 15k+ lbs in over 110 degree ambient temps with my diesel and it stayed cooler than the gassers that weren't even towing in the group. Extreme cold? Well all engines I'm aware of use oil, so at a certain point you'll want an engine block heater in either. Yes, diesel fuel will gel in extreme temps, but they have additives to prevent that.

Anyway, my point here is that a person shouldn't pick gas or diesel based on random preconceived biases about them (including mine). The reality is, a person should pick based on things like the capabilities they need, resale value, etc.

-TJ

Reactions: MidOH

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I'm always shocked how many truck-drivers don't know how to park them. I'm not saying you don't, I just find it interesting how often parking is considered the issue. Then again, I prefer to park at the far end of parking lots in end-spots anyway (even with my old-turd WJ) so I don't find myself squeezing into "traditional" side-by-side spots too often.

Still, when parking a truck, there are 2 main tricks. If you must go in forward, you initially aim like you're parking in the spot past your intended spot, even 1.5 spots past it depending on your wheelbase. You pull up as far as you can toward that next spot, cut the wheels all the way the other way, then back up. This puts the tail of your truck inline with your intended spot, and you just pull right in. I even see people with larger sedans or minivans struggling with this all the time. It blows my mind nobody ever learns this. The other trick, well, just back in. ;)

Unless you're keeping the truck fooooooooooorever the resale on the diesel truck will easily offset the slightly higher maintenance or repair costs (unless it's a 6.0 or 6.4 PSD). As for the weight, it's a relatively small percentage of the weight of the truck, and I don't see it as a big issue. I suppose if you sink it to the framerails in thick mud, it's a problem... but then, you have other issues at that point.

I'm not aware of a car currently sold in the US that's still on a full-frame platform. I'm also not aware of a car with a real transfer case, low-range, etc. I'm not even a Ford or 1/2 ton guy, per say, but it's pretty silly to call them a "car with box." If properly optioned they have a decent GVWR ceiling for Overlanding (more CCC than most SUV/cross-overs we see for Overland use).

What is frightening about a modern diesel in a remote location that is NOT also frightening about a modern gasser in a remote location? If you want ZERO dependence on electronics, you want an old 12V Cummins (but even that is going to need a starter... so you're never 100% electricity-free). If you look at a modern diesel and then an engine like the Ecoboost twin turbo V6s in the F150s, both are extremely complex with tons of electrical systems.

Also, what is bad about a diesel in extreme heat or cold? I've towed 15k+ lbs in over 110 degree ambient temps with my diesel and it stayed cooler than the gassers that weren't even towing in the group. Extreme cold? Well all engines I'm aware of use oil, so at a certain point you'll want an engine block heater in either. Yes, diesel fuel will gel in extreme temps, but they have additives to prevent that.

Anyway, my point here is that a person shouldn't pick gas or diesel based on random preconceived biases about them (including mine). The reality is, a person should pick based on things like the capabilities they need, resale value, etc.

-TJ
Oh, I know how to drive and park. I have about 2 million kms under my ass. It does not change the fact that swinging into parking spaces in the f150 any easier. Comparing to my jk unlimited, which has damn near a 90deg turning radius. The f150 is down right gangly.

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
Oh, I know how to drive and park. I have about 2 million kms under my ass. It does not change the fact that swinging into parking spaces in the f150 any easier. Comparing to my jk unlimited, which has damn near a 90deg turning radius. The f150 is down right gangly.
My wife who grew up in england driving what i would consider a matchbox car has no issues parking our f150...It's got a long wheel base then a JKU, so no surprise it doesn't turn the same.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
You back into parking spaces with a fullsize. No different than a wide sport car.

Amazing how many people botch that up, and then complain about parking them.

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
LOL i definitely always back into spaces. But like another member here said, i usually park out in timbuk tu.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness

-TJ

Resale doesn't make up for Jack. That's something the pro-diesel guys use to justify their bean counting. Right now, diesels are more expensive in every way. The DPF and HPP pricing is insane. Resale might get back half the price of the upgrade cost of the diesel, but that won't even cover the fuel filters and oil.

In the great white north, my Cummins actually starts and warms QUICKER than my 6.2. I have no idea if it has an electric ''rapid heat'' like Ford does, but it does have an intake heater of some sort. No block heater, no pan heater.

Problem. The diesel can't idle too well in the winter. It clogs the DPf. It'll go into high idle and guzzle DEF. 2 gallons per tank of diesel. (1/25.) And when it does go into high idle, it'll wake up every camper in a hundred miles. It's almost exactly like a jet taking off. Many people joke that my Cummins is attempting to ''fly away''.

Avoid diesel at all cost. If your truck is so big or heavy that you can't avoid it, so be it. Otherwise, build a gasser.

Reactions: MMc