Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
For the Technician license holders... would the expanded HF voice privileges for Technician licensees on 15m, 40m, and 80m as proposed by the ARRL prompt any of you to get on HF?
Technician's currently have SSB on a portion of 10m.
View attachment 165151
View attachment 165152
View attachment 165153
Yep but again would it make technicians not to try for general or extra.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

I think the part of this that would be used most by newer Technician licenses would be 40m for FT8. And I’m good with opening up some bands for those popular uses. I do echo the fear that it might keep some people from upgrading to General or Advanced Extra. Perhaps keeping 20m on lock is the carrot that be just enough enticement?

Contributor III

Idaho
First Name
Colton
Last Name
Hoopes
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7KPP
Hello everyone KJ7KPP here I am no longer a technician holder but a general license holder. My opinion on this would be technician do NOT need any more privileges. If they want to talk around the world they should use EchoLink or get a irlp node. If you want to use a “HF radio “ spend 30 or more minutes a day to study for the general license. That is just my opinion though.

Reactions: KD7WCD and M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Personally I feel that they should have to upgrade just as I did to get into HF. I needed 80m Voice to participate in our local ARES net, this drive me to get my General so I wasn’t just doing the WinLink Emails and left in the dark for the rest of the Net.

AA1PR

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Vermont Mountains
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Parie
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA1PR
Im sorry but by giving out free allociations there is and will never be any reason to upgrade

none of this makes any sense, there is no sound logic behind this

doesnt any one have any pride in working for their upgrade anymore

I busted my hump upgrading, I felt if the guy before me could do it, I could since he was no better than I and vice versa

Reactions: Prerunner1982

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Im sorry but by giving out free allociations there is and will never be any reason to upgrade

none of this makes any sense, there is no sound logic behind this

doesnt any one have any pride in working for their upgrade anymore

I busted my hump upgrading, I felt if the guy before me could do it, I could since he was no better than I and vice versa
I have pride in my upgrade, and working hard for my second upgrade

Reactions: AA1PR

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Even with this proposal, techs don’t have any more SSB allocation. There’s still that incentive to upgrade.

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
I would. I will also get my General anyway. This is the kind of learning I am into.

As for not "working" for your upgrade, the way I see it is would you rather see your chosen hobby die, or would you rather entice a few more people into the hobby by giving them more opportunity at some of the more fun aspects of AR?

Reactions: Sparksalot

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
I think that anyone who wants's to get on HF should upgrade. As a tech I tried to play on the little bit of 10M and 6M that was available to us at that time. It was limited and not all that successful but it also drove me to get my general. Now I really don't hang out on the local repeaters anymore unless I am doing an event or specifically talking to someone. HF is where it is at for me. The only time I really do much with UHF/VHF is either for trail comes or if I am volunteering to help out with an event.

With that consider this. The bands are all under threat of being taken away from us. There is more and more commercial pressure and with the way the government works these days, it is hard to fell that the FCC has the armature radio communities back. Big business seems to trump the little guys. The more the bands are used the harder it is for the FCC to justify taking them away from us. So maybe some limited access to those bands is a good thing. Maybe it is an opportunity for some of us more experienced hams to mentor some of the newbies. I read an article somewhere that when the FCC dropped CW from the General test everyone was up in arms about how it was going to kill CW. But now there has been a resurgence in CW because that many more people are on the radio and the more they learn about HF propagation CW is much more alluring.

Reactions: AA1PR