Everyone, meet Gunner. Gunner, everyone.

• HTML tutorial

2WheelRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Yarger
Member #

Howdy,

Relatively new to OB (October-ish), but haven't really done anything to outfit Gunner until recently, so I decided on a "build thread".

Gunner is a 2013 F150 FX2 Ecoboost Supercrew. He was a Christmas present from my now ex-wife back in 2016, but she secretly did her research and bought me exactly what I wanted except for the 4wd. I've always been into camping and hiking, but since the divorce I've been doing more of it. It's good for my mental health and she wasn't really into all that so I thought now was a good time to pick it back up and get back to the things that really make me happy; the outdoors.

Gunner came to me with only one major aftermarket modification, a 3 bell air horn!! This means onboard air already installed. Since October when I made the decision to go in this direction I've made a few changes.

Step 1: Went from 275/55r20 highway tires to a set of 275/65R20 General Grabber AT's (about an inch larger).
20220814_185504.jpg20220826_190424.jpg

I also found these awesome velcro Molle panels that stick right to the fabric under the rear seats that I always kept up anyway. As well as a Molle panel on the back of each of the front seats.
20220828_193157.jpg20220828_190526.jpg

Step 2: I did the obvious and tied into the already installed air system. rather than one at the front and one at the back, I put an airline under the rear seat on both sides.
20220828_190607.jpg
While I'm more of a ground tent person rather than a RTT person, my favorite way to camp is a hammock. My ex-girlfriend got me a hitch mounted hammock stand for Christmas 2 years ago and I absolutely love it, so I keep all the hardware and hammock system in the truck, she also got me a nifty awning usually for the back of an SUV, but it works with my truck and even better now that I have a bed rack.
20211219_151225.jpg

Typical setup: 20220930_130314.jpg

Step 2.5: I've always wanted better lighting in the bed so I found a good idea on YouTube and installed some lighting under the bedrails, its got a magnet switch so that it comes on when I open the tailgate, but it also has a switch to override it if I need to leave the tailgate down for a long period of time. it's PLENTY bright!!!
20220524_214444.jpg

Also part of Step 2.5 was a mount/stand for my laptop. I've got a surface and it functions as both a tablet and a laptop, So I installed a mount so I can use it for mapping, music, video, etc.

20220828_192200.jpg

Step 3: Bed Rack! Found a Putco Venture Tec rack in College Station for $475, only a year or 2 old, in great condition. Bought it and ratchet strapped it to the bed for a month before I was able to get some much needed help from @Rav4_Overland and @J_Walker1977 at our April meetup.
20230314_174814.jpg media.jpg

Got me a set of recovery boards
20230408_172214.jpg

Also installed a Pedal Commander thanks to @Kueezy
20230219_120729.jpg

Step 4: Realize this is actually happening and go a little crazy buying some things. Start with the Built-Right Industries dash mounting plate thingy. it mounts into a completely unused (by me) cubby on the dash. great for RAM mounts, GoPro mounts, etc.
20230403_103750.jpg
This is also where I will be mounting my new Auxbeam!!

Bought a Waterproof rifle case from FB Marketplace and mounted it to my bed rack.
20230425_190527.jpg

Its barely visible but in the above picture if you look closely at the back end of the bed rack you can see an LED strip that I mounted. It's normally for under the tailgate on a pickup but since my bed rack somewhat obscures my 3rd brake light I went ahead and installed it there on the bed rack. It has brake light, running light, turn signals, and reverse. (need to trouble shoot the reverse light as its not working but of course I forgot to test it until AFTER is got it all tied back up and secured)

Next is the front tow hooks. They were certainly not as difficult to install as YouTube would make them out to be. you have to take out about 14 screws, but once you pop off a plastic cover for the bumper there is no drilling into the frame that is required contrary to popular belief.
20230425_175032.jpg

And the final part of Step 4, is merely cosmetic and personal preference, I swapped out the factory bulbs inside and out with daylight LED's (LP lights, bed lamps, rear interior dome, and both Map lights.)

20230430_205813.jpg20230430_205824.jpg

Step 5. Step 5 hasn't happened yet, but all the parts are in and ready to install. this includes new Hooke Road Roof rack, Auxbeam (the fancy one that connects with the app), 40" lightbar, 30" amber chase lightbar, ditch lights on hood hinge mounts, and the same lighting used inside the bed, but I haven't exactly decided where to put them. One thought is under the truck to serve as a type of rock light, another is on the underside of the bed rack to light up the already well lit bed, and 3rd would be to mount them facing down and out along the outside of the bed rack to light up the ground around the truck.

Future plans:
Ideally a small lift, maybe 2 inches, leveling kit at a minimum.
Front bumper with a winch. I'd really like to use the Rough Country hidden winch mounting plate behind the factory bumper but to do that I would have to relocate the intercooler, which costs the same as a new bumper, so its kind of a toss up.
Rear bumper
Rock sliders maybe - its 2wd, so if I'm needing rock sliders I may be in over my head.
IF I was able to fit 35's after the new front bumper then I'd like to go that way as well.

Still need recovery boards, shovel, and axe. I'm sure there is plenty more that are escaping me now.

Suggestions always welcome, Thanks for listening. Cant wait to get out more and explore. because OB is right, Adventure IS Necessary

Dog tax - He didn't like lying on the gravel while I was installing the tow hooks so he found a softer place to lay.
20230425_173535.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

gatogordo

Rank I

Contributor III

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Parker
Howdy,

Relatively new to OB (October-ish), but haven't really done anything to outfit Gunner until recently, so I decided on a "build thread".

Gunner is a 2013 F150 FX2 Ecoboost Supercrew. He was a Christmas present from my now ex-wife back in 2016, but she secretly did her research and bought me exactly what I wanted except for the 4wd. I've always been into camping and hiking, but since the divorce I've been doing more of it. It's good for my mental health and she wasn't really into all that so I thought now was a good time to pick it back up and get back to the things that really make me happy; the outdoors.

Gunner came to me with only one major aftermarket modification, a 3 bell air horn!! This means onboard air already installed. Since October when I made the decision to go in this direction I've made a few changes.

Step 1: Went from 275/55r20 highway tires to a set of 275/65R20 General Grabber AT's (about an inch larger).
View attachment 257203View attachment 257204

I also found these awesome velcro Molle panels that stick right to the fabric under the rear seats that I always kept up anyway. As well as a Molle panel on the back of each of the front seats.
View attachment 257208View attachment 257205

Step 2: I did the obvious and tied into the already installed air system. rather than one at the front and one at the back, I put an airline under the rear seat on both sides.
View attachment 257210
While I'm more of a ground tent person rather than a RTT person, my favorite way to camp is a hammock. My ex-girlfriend got me a hitch mounted hammock stand for Christmas 2 years ago and I absolutely love it, so I keep all the hardware and hammock system in the truck, she also got me a nifty awning usually for the back of an SUV, but it works with my truck and even better now that I have a bed rack.
View attachment 257216

Typical setup: View attachment 257217

Step 2.5: I've always wanted better lighting in the bed so I found a good idea on YouTube and installed some lighting under the bedrails, its got a magnet switch so that it comes on when I open the tailgate, but it also has a switch to override it if I need to leave the tailgate down for a long period of time. it's PLENTY bright!!!
View attachment 257215

Also part of Step 2.5 was a mount/stand for my laptop. I've got a surface and it functions as both a tablet and a laptop, So I installed a mount so I can use it for mapping, music, video, etc.

View attachment 257226

Step 3: Bed Rack! Found a Putco Venture Tec rack in College Station for $475, only a year or 2 old, in great condition. Bought it and ratchet strapped it to the bed for a month before I was able to get some much needed help from @Rav4_Overland and @J_Walker1977 at our April meetup.
View attachment 257224 View attachment 257225

View attachment 257231

View attachment 257227

Step 4: Realize this is actually happening and go a little crazy buying some things. Start with the Built-Right Industries dash mounting plate thingy. it mounts into a completely unused (by me) cubby on the dash. great for RAM mounts, GoPro mounts, etc.
View attachment 257228

Bought a Waterproof rifle case from FB Marketplace and mounted it to my bed rack.
View attachment 257233

Its barely visible but in the above picture if you look closely at the back end of the bed rack you can see an LED strip that I mounted. It's normally for under the tailgate on a pickup but since my bed rack somewhat obscures my 3rd brake light I went ahead and installed it there on the bed rack. It has brake light, running light, turn signals, and reverse. (need to trouble shoot the reverse light as its not working but of course I forgot to test it until AFTER is got it all tied back up and secured)

Next is the front tow hooks. They were certainly not as difficult to install as YouTube would make them out to be. you have to take out about 14 screws, but once you pop off a plastic cover for the bumper there is no drilling into the frame that is required contrary to popular belief.
View attachment 257232

And the final part of Step 4, is merely cosmetic and personal preference, I swapped out the factory bulbs inside and out with daylight LED's (LP lights, bed lamps, rear interior dome, and both Map lights.)

View attachment 257230View attachment 257229

Step 5. Step 5 hasn't happened yet, but all the parts are in and ready to install. this includes new Hooke Road Roof rack, Auxbeam (the fancy one that connects with the app), 40" lightbar, 30" amber chase lightbar, ditch lights on hood hinge mounts, and the same lighting used inside the bed, but I haven't exactly decided where to put them. One thought is under the truck to serve as a type of rock light, another is on the underside of the bed rack to light up the already well lit bed, and 3rd would be to mount them facing down and out along the outside of the bed rack to light up the ground around the truck.

Future plans:
Front bumper with a winch. I'd really like to use the Rough Country hidden winch mounting plate behind the factory bumper but to do that I would have to relocate the intercooler, which costs the same as a new bumper, so its kind of a toss up.
Rear bumper
Rock sliders maybe - its 2wd, so if I'm needing rock sliders I may be in over my head.
IF I was able to fit 35's after the new front bumper then I'd like to go that way as well.

Still need recovery boards, shovel, and axe. I'm sure there is plenty more that are escaping me now.

Suggestions always welcome, Thanks for listening. Cant wait to get out more and explore. because OB is right, Adventure IS Necessary

Dog tax - He didn't like lying on the gravel while I was installing the tow hooks so he found a softer place to lay.
View attachment 257234
Does the Built Rite dash mount hardware retain the speaker in the dash?

Reactions: Hernandez59

2WheelRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Yarger
Member #

Howdy,

View attachment 257203View attachment 257204

View attachment 257208View attachment 257205

View attachment 257210
View attachment 257216

Typical setup: View attachment 257217

View attachment 257215

View attachment 257226

View attachment 257224 View attachment 257225

View attachment 257231

View attachment 257227

View attachment 257228

View attachment 257233

View attachment 257232

View attachment 257230View attachment 257229

Future plans:
Rear bumper

View attachment 257234
Does the Built Rite dash mount hardware retain the speaker in the dash?
I believe it does, I dont have one so I cannot say with 100% certainty, but most of the install videos have the speaker and I was worried the install may not be the same since I am missing the speaker.

2WheelRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Yarger
Member #

Spent some hours wrenching this week.

Added an axe and shovel because you're not overlanding if you don't have a shovel AND an axe mounted somewhere.
20230509_195220.jpg

Got some ditch lights mounted a few days ago and finally got them wired in now that I have the Auxbeam installed
Ditch lights only
20230514_213554.jpg

Ditch and headlights
20230514_213527.jpg

Mounted an amber lightbar at the back, it has 18 patterns and after I broke the plug apart there is a 3rd wire that simply grounds a second circuit to change modes so I just installed the switch in the dash outside of the Auxbeam that does the same to retain the mode changing functionality.
20230514_205108.jpg

Auxbeam with bluetooth coonnectivity
20230514_210137.jpg
20230514_210504.jpg

Next up: Roof rack with a 40" lightbar getting installed on Wed. Found a Gen 1 Raptor OEM Skid plate for $50 on FB Marketplace that is getting mounted ASAP. OEM may not be the best but its better than what's there now.

Hernandez59

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Buckeye, AZ, USA
First Name
Emilio
Last Name
Hernandez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7KFQ / WRMB843
Service Branch
Army
Your giving me ideas, I've been using my 07 jk2dr. But lately I've used my 2014 toyota tundra, with a napler truck tent. I was thinking of just adding a front bumper and winch. But after reading about your rig I might just add more. Ooh my wife wont be happy, but then she love to camp out.

2WheelRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Yarger
Member #

Your giving me ideas, I've been using my 07 jk2dr. But lately I've used my 2014 toyota tundra, with a napler truck tent. I was thinking of just adding a front bumper and winch. But after reading about your rig I might just add more. Ooh my wife wont be happy, but then she love to camp out.
I'd like a winch and bumper, but to add one, I would have to relocate the intercooler. Which is easily a $2000 job even if I do it myself. In all honesty, I do plan on getting a 4wd rig in the near future, so a lot of equipment will be shared between both. And as this is 2wd and I still have a camper to tow, this truck is probably 80% complete. A small lift might be in its future, but that's pretty much it.
This whole build has been pretty budget friendly and I intend to keep it that way.

2WheelRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Yarger
Member #

I guess its been a while since I updated this. Went to Big Bend back in May with a great group of OB peeps. Plenty of threads on that elsewhere.

IMG_20230525_103007_137.jpg
20230527_133457.jpg
20230527_142752.jpg

The 40" lightbar got installed and wired up to the Auxbeam. Took a bit of a break from upgrades over the summer because its just way to hot to be outside and I was working nights.

Now that its a bit cooler in the evenings and I'm back on a day shift. I've made a few more changes.

Went on a last second camping trip with @Rav4_Overland 2 weeks ago and realized I am woefully unprepared to leave at a moments notice. This does not work for me.

IMG_20230921_102913_296.jpg

For the camping trip, I grabbed my 24liter BougeRV fridge/freezer that I was using in my RV while the fridge/freezer was broken. But now that it's finally fixed, the 24L came camping with us and liked it so much that it asked if it could move into Gunner full time.

Between this and being unprepared, enter the idea of a rear seat delete. Nobody has sat in my back seat in over a year, I live by myself and if I have a passenger I usually only have 1. I wasn't 100% sold on deleting the entire rear seat, so I just pulled the 60% side which was a task in itself. See my post in the "what did you do today?" thread. (What Did You Do With Your Rig Today?)

Lots of help and shop time from @J_Walker1977 to get it built. With a few last second design changes, including the addition of a drawer that he built on the fly, its ready for testing of "Stage 1"

20230926_101542.jpg
20230921_100709.jpg

20230927_152936.jpg

20231001_181715.jpg20231001_181728.jpg20231001_181802.jpg
20231001_192427.jpg

"Stage 2" will include a slide out for the fridge, stain/paint it black to match the interior. We built it in sections so that it can be disassembled and removed if/when I sell the truck or if I foresee needing the additional seating for a while. It also makes upgrades a bit easier by just removing certain parts. Only thing left for stage 1 is some tie downs for the fridge and the EcoFlow. It will probably stay like this for a little while until I really figure out what I like and what I don't, although the black stain may happen pretty quickly. (As much as I love the look of wood grain, I can't stand that it doesn't match the interior of the truck and I already have the stain.) Shake-down planned for the Texas Avid Outdoor Expo this weekend so we shall see how it goes.

On the camping trip I learned a little more about my EcoFlow River+. It powers the fridge just fine but it turned off in the middle of the night. After some investigating, it turns out there was an auto-off setting that I have since corrected. I also bought a insulating cover for the fridge and a 100w solar panel. The solar panel was giving me about 80w in a few of my tests so I'm feeling pretty confident.

Been doing some testing last few days and sitting in the vehicle with windows cracked in full sun in the parking lot at work. I ran the empty fridge off the EcoFlow. I checked on it every 2 hours and got almost 12 hours out of a single charge. I expect it will be much more efficient when the fridge has something in it.

20230927_062314.jpg
20230926_101444.jpg

Today I'm testing the same setup but adding the solar panel. Started at 9am with a full battery and a warm fridge, and the solar panel sitting flat on the roof rack (not the optimal position). 2 hours later the fridge is at 33F, the battery is at 99% and charging at 45w (understandable for a non-optimal orientation). I expect that with full sun better orientation, the fridge will stay cold and the battery full all day so that the battery can run the fridge all night.

Between the rear seat delete, the solar/battery/fridge combo, and a little more organizing, I'll be ready for anything at a moments notice. Gunner is quite happy.

Future projects all waiting on funding: (now accepting sponsorships)
New SiriusXM antenna because the roof rack blocks the factory one.
USB power outlet on the dash for everything connected to RAM mounts. (tablet, GoPro, Phone, etc)
Hammock stand storage solution in the bed
GMRS antenna mounted to roof rack
Mobile GMRS radio
270 Awning

My 17y/o daughter had some car trouble early last year and blew a head gasket so for her senior year she decided to take "auto" as an elective. Anytime I mention working on Gunner and pulling things apart she jumps at the chance to help. Her eyes lit up when I told her what was involved in running the new SiriusXM antenna wire. So I'm very excited to work on some more projects and pass on my limited knowledge and love of cars to her. Hopefully I'll be able to get a few more projects done this fall with her help.

Thats all folks!! Thanks for listening if you got this far!! I appreciate all the encouragement and acceptance and just LOVE that I haven't gotten a single "It's 2wd! Why would you do all that work?"

2wheelRob out!!

Reactions: Sparksalot

2WheelRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Yarger
Member #

A few new updates, heading down to PINS this weekend, so wanted to get some loose ends tied up.

1. Seat Delete v2.0 completed. Got a cabinet shop to make some cuts for me. Cut the front side off just above the drawer slide. Then used the existing top cut down for the fridge drawer. Some quick picture hanging loops for tie-down points. Then used a cam lock for paracord on each end to secure it. My fridge doesn't have handles like many of the others. So in a rollover it would only be as effective as the velcro on the top of the insulator but until there's a fridge upgrade this will work.

Still need to figure out a way to secure the ecoflow without blocking the plugs or the display.

2. When I installed the Hooke Road Roof Rack in May of last year it blocked my SiriusXM antenna. It still worked, but its was very intermittent. Back then I did my research and bought a new antenna because even though the factory plug for the antenna looks different, it's the same plug as every other sat radio antenna. So got the antenna installed and wire run. This was a chore. In the F150, so many dash panels have to be removed to pull the radio. Then I dropped my only 1/4" ratchet extension down into the center console below the shifter. Queue a trip to Harbor Freight. Pull the majority of the center console out to get it out. Figured while it was out, I may as well clean the whole thing. Between Big Bend and few THCOR runs it was looking pretty filthy no matter how much I cleaned it. So it finally got the deep cleaning it needed. Sat radio works like it should now, truck is 10x cleaner, I'm a happy camper.

3. Because of the beach trip this weekend I wanted to put together a shower to wash off with. Well it just so happened that @Rav4_Overland had one lying around. And after some accidental mischief in his driveway late at night we got it mounted on the bed rack. Looks great if I do say so myself.

4. @Rav4_Overland also had an 6.5' x 6.5' awning for me to borrow for the trip. I'm hoping its usefulness can justify to the lady getting a 270 in the near future.

What does the future hold for Gunner?

- Hopefully a new 15w GMRS radio
- Been thinking about doing something with the battery system. Whether upgrading the starter battery to an agm or something that will tolerate the fridge running a little better, combined with a solar panel mounted on the roof rack.

- 270 awning. There are some kinks to work out here, my bed rack sits about 8 inches below my roof rack, if it's mounted to the bedrack it has to be mounted pretty high to clear the doors, but if it's mounted to the roof rack I worry it won't sit far enough back to cover much of the tailgate area. Will have to do some more research.

That's all I got folks.

Attachments

Last edited:

Rav4_Overland

Rank VIII

Steward I

Kyle, Texas, United States
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Lindquist
Member #

A few new updates, heading down to PINS this weekend, so wanted to get some loose ends tied up.

1. Seat Delete v2.0 completed. Got a cabinet shop to make some cuts for me. Cut the front side off just above the drawer slide. Then used the existing top cut down for the fridge drawer. Some quick picture hanging loops for tie-down points. Then used a cam lock for paracord on each end to secure it. My fridge doesn't have handles like many of the others. So in a rollover it would only be as effective as the velcro on the top of the insulator but until there's a fridge upgrade this will work.

Still need to figure out a way to secure the ecoflow without blocking the plugs or the display.

2. When I installed the Hooke Road Roof Rack in May of last year it blocked my SiriusXM antenna. It still worked, but its was very intermittent. Back then I did my research and bought a new antenna because even though the factory plug for the antenna looks different, it's the same plug as every other sat radio antenna. So got the antenna installed and wire run. This was a chore. In the F150, so many dash panels have to be removed to pull the radio. Then I dropped my only 1/4" ratchet extension down into the center console below the shifter. Queue a trip to Harbor Freight. Pull the majority of the center console out to get it out. Figured while it was out, I may as well clean the whole thing. Between Big Bend and few THCOR runs it was looking pretty filthy no matter how much I cleaned it. So it finally got the deep cleaning it needed. Sat radio works like it should now, truck is 10x cleaner, I'm a happy camper.

3. Because of the beach trip this weekend I wanted to put together a shower to wash off with. Well it just so happened that @Rav4_Overland had one lying around. And after some accidental mischief in his driveway late at night we got it mounted on the bed rack. Looks great if I do say so myself.

4. @Rav4_Overland also had an 8x10 awning for me to borrow for the trip. I'm hoping its usefulness can justify to the lady getting a 270 in the near future.

- Been thinking about doing something with the battery system. Whether upgrading the starter battery to an agm or something that will tolerate the fridge running a little better, combined with a solar panel mounted on the roof rack.

- 270 awning. There are some kinks to work out here, my bed rack sits about 8 inches below my roof rack, if it's mounted to the bedrack it has to be mounted pretty high to clear the doors, but if it's mounted to the roof rack I worry it won't sit far enough back to cover much of the tailgate area. Will have to do some more research.

That's all I got folks.
Looking good!

2WheelRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Yarger
Member #

4. @Rav4_Overland also had an 8x10 awning for me to borrow for the trip. I'm hoping its usefulness can justify to the lady getting a 270 in the near future.

That's all I got folks.
Looking good!
Thanks buddy!!

2WheelRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Yarger
Member #

New update, bought myself a birthday present. Been wanting a mobile radio for a while, don't like the midland as I think they're overpriced and they under-deliver. But I do like the controls on the hand mic with the box hidden away. Aside from the Midland, Retevis has one model and B-tech has another. I decided to go with the B-tech because it has more bang for your buck. Enter the B-tech GMRS-20V2. My biggest complaint is the connector for the hand mic. It uses a Kenwood 8-pin connector rather than the rj45 that the others use.

I was still able to find a cable extension though.

Bought both a stubby antenna and a small whip recommended by @Sparksalot. The whip will get better range but the stubby will still work and allow me to get in/out of the parking garage without any damage.

I hid the radio base under the center console forward of the gearshift. The pigtail for the hand mic extends out from a crack between dash panels. Maybe one day I'll make it a flush mount, but for now the pig tail will have to do. I wanted to be able to program the radio so I got the data cable and secured it pretty well to the radio body while plugged in and ran it over to the center console. A simple USB extension plugs into the computer for programming. The antenna is mounted to the roof rack. I ran the wire down the windshield. It's not secured very well yet, but it's there. Ran power from my auxbeam switch panel. Not sure if it will stay there, but it made sense for now.

Usb power plug is up next, possibly 2, one on the dash replacing a 12v and the other high up on the dash for charging a gopro and my phone.

I have a set of under veh lights to kind of work as rock lights if you will, might install those tomorrow but I would need a wash too and I'm not sure I'm up for that.

Attachments