Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I think that this is also interesting for one or the other here.

At the beginning of September the draft of the amendment of the amateur radio regulation in Germany was presented.

According to this, it is planned that there will be a new class N for beginners (which was always discussed in the past), a pure user beginner class. This would make it a three-class system (instead of the current two classes E and A):
  • The new class N would be the entry level and it is about having a rough overview, solving very simple arithmetic problems and applying simple formulas is expected.
  • Class E, on the other hand, requires a qualitative understanding of technical correlations, simple calculations and formulas for calculating protective distances, simple amplifiers, measurements, etc.
  • Class A requires a deep understanding of the radio techniques and interrelationships, it is about the understanding of the basics of semiconductor physics, complex formulas, etc.
The new Class N would then authorize operation in the 2m and 70cm bands up to 10 watts EIRP.

Of course this is a very limited spectrum for usage compared to the other two classes, but the exam will certainly be much easier and especially for overlanders without further radio technical interest this could be a good introduction to HAM radio on which you can build later if you are interested.

Let's see what happens in the final version of the regulation. I will try to follow up on this and give an update in case there is something new.

Bjoern

Last edited:

4x4tripping

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Switzerland
First Name
Heinz
Last Name
Treben
The new Class N would then authorize operation in the 2m and 70cm bands up to 10 watts EIRP.
Thank you for the info! Great news!

I think even those 5 watts handhelds should give us - around 1km range - without even the need of an external antenna.

Enough for car convoi!

But we have to research for the brands. Example: Unfortunately even inside of europe, some of this handhelds are not allowed to carry for boder crossings (at example baofeng for switzerland).

trippin

Reactions: MazeVX

MaG-Dive

Rank V

Advocate III

Neuhemsbach, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany
First Name
Markus
Last Name
Gruenewald
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DL1MAG
Service Branch
EMS/disaster control
Thank you for the info! Great news!

I think even those 5 watts handhelds should give us - around 1km range - without even the need of an external antenna.

Enough for car convoi!

But we have to research for the brands. Example: Unfortunately even inside of europe, some of this handhelds are not allowed to carry for boder crossings (at example baofeng for switzerland).

trippin
Probabaly there will be new rigs to cover that class.

They're even thinking about opening the 10m-Band to class N. That would attract some more guys coming from CB.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I guess 10m wouldn't help much, you can use CB anyway... Many currently active ham radio users have a very biased view on that topic in my opinion.
You know what makes 2m/70cm really attractive? Short antennas with reasonable performance and lesser ground requirements then CB.

A few days ago I looked into the exam questions, class N will be the same for the organizational and legal parts then class E or A only the technical /electronic part varies between classes.
If you are not a electronic technician that's a lot of stuff to learn, cutting down on that is the way to get people into it.

And why are small antennas important? Because many people live in flats and the only place where they can freely do radio is in the car!
That's my opinion...
Oh and BTW... I wouldn't have time to dedicate a year of learning into it and that's the reason I currently have no license, what a luck I'm a professional electronics guy...

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I just asked around to get an idea of the current status. Currently, it is assumed that the new class N will be introduced in the course of the next year - it just takes a while, because the amateur radio regulations have to be changed, the exams, the learning materials have to be adapted, etc. Let's wait and see.

4x4tripping

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Switzerland
First Name
Heinz
Last Name
Treben
I did buy a 2m/70cm device to test the network a bit. Just locally.

It scans since severall days the channels. At least here in Zurich it seems to be usable, because it is very quiet. Probably any two days I did was able to hear some people.

Is that normal that too the amateur network is that quiet? I just use the scanner, I did not try to connect to a relais, without finishing the licence theme.

trippin

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I did buy a 2m/70cm device to test the network a bit. Just locally.

It scans since severall days the channels. At least here in Zurich it seems to be usable, because it is very quiet. Probably any two days I did was able to hear some people.

Is that normal that too the amateur network is that quiet? I just use the scanner, I did not try to connect to a relais, without finishing the licence theme.

trippin
HAM radio is not at all quiet. Of course, most of the activity is in HF and not VHF/UHF, because on 2m and 70cm there is often mobile communication. But even there, there are numerous radio talk rounds throughout the day and of course also many contests on 2m, for example.

What kind/ make/ type of device are you using?

4x4tripping

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Switzerland
First Name
Heinz
Last Name
Treben
It is a (relabled) BaoFeng UV-5R.

Sometimes my Scan did brings some voices, but very rarely and not on any day in Zurich. My Flat has a view above the lake, so there are severall town`s in the direct line of view.

trippin

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
It is a (relabled) BaoFeng UV-5R.
So possibly one of the devices against which the authorities in Europe, such as the Federal Network Agency in Germany or the BAKOM in Switzerland, have imposed market-restricting measures because of non-compliance in the area of frequency range, unwanted emissions, incorrect declaration of conformity. Depending on the affected device and the regulations, the action/ rules could include the ban of import, sale, transfer, use, etc.

I would check very carefully in the published lists of the respective regulator and stick to the rules. For Switzerland you can check here:

From cheap devices, which appear under all sorts of funny names mostly from China here I would advise against anyway and put on renowned brands. Because we overlanders must be able to rely on the radio at all times and with well-known brand names I can also be sure that the devices are compliant with the rules. Sometimes, devices against which a ban already exists are put back on the market under a different label, so that the authorities are not so quick to act again. However, this does not change anything about the errors, violation, non-compliance.

Last edited:

4x4tripping

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Switzerland
First Name
Heinz
Last Name
Treben
Switzerland is much more restrictive than europe.

BaoFeng UV-5R is not allowed, even for import or ownership. Therefore I did buy a Radio who is based on the 5r, but legal.

For using it for all 3 years for driving in convoy - it did look "ok" in my eyes. At first tests you can talk at 800m distance from car to car without external antenna.

Ok for the usecase. Looking forward for licencing, also if it looks a bit overdone, as all the channels are really very quiet here!

trippin

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
As it currently looks, the whole thing will probably take a little longer. There is currently a working group that is working on a new catalog of exam questions, because the exams must of course also be adapted to the new situation.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Yes. Seems so. So if You plan to get a license it would be a good move to do it now as long as the actual questions are still valid.
Right. Maybe this year I'll upgrade from E to A. On the other hand, I only use 2m/ 70cm in the vehicle anyway. Let's see, learning something new is always good.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
There is an update on this: the document of the amendment to the German Amateur Radio Ordinance has now been signed by the Federal Minister for Digital Affairs and Transport. It will enter into force after one year, after the Federal Network Agency has adapted the processes and procedures accordingly.

Reactions: M Rose and MazeVX

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
UPDATE for all those in Germany/ Europe who are interested in this:

The new questionnaires are now available. I just had a quick look at the questions for the new entry-level class N. I think that is very doable for a pure user who has a little technical understanding.

For the upgrades, e.g. from class E to A, it will be somewhat easier because the question pool has become smaller and fewer questions need to be answered in the exam. But is it really easier? It also depends on the new questions, I haven't had a chance to look at them in detail yet. @MaG-Dive Markus, as you have a wealth of knowledge in this area, did you have had a chance to look deeper into it? What do you think?

By the way, the exams for E and A can still be taken under the old regulations until around the middle of the year, after which the new exam regulations will come into force.