Rank 0

Contributor I

USA
First Name
bagos
Last Name
skrank
Hello

As I prepare for my upcoming trips; I'm curious about the must-have tools and gear you always take with you on your overlanding adventures.:grinning:

Whether it’s recovery gear; cooking equipment; or safety items; what do you consider essential? Also; are there any items that you thought were necessary but ended up not using?

In addition; I’d love to hear about your experiences with multi-functional tools versus specialized gear. Have you found certain items to be particularly versatile?:worried: I have referred https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/forums/overland-bound-one-app-q-a.437-msbi guide but still need help.

If you have any links to resources or guides that outline essential overlanding gear, that would be fantastic as well. Lastly; if you’ve ever faced unexpected challenges on the trail; what gear helped you the most in those situations?

Looking forward to your insights!

Thank you! :blush:

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
A lot of people will provide a laundry list of things you “ must “ bring along. However, when I started doing this back in 74/75 I used a beat up old 65 VW bug, an army surplus sleeping bag, a good pair of boots, an old Coleman cooler, and a small tool kit consisting of 17-15-13 and 10 mm wrenches, pliers, a couple of screw drivers, a ball peen hammer. a spare tire, the stock jack, lug wrench, a couple gallons of water, some Gatorade, bologna, bread, cheese and some stuff back then known as gorp. Later on I found a Coleman stove and some other stuff to prepare eggs and coffee. This arrangement served me well for about 3 years during my exploration of the Mohave Desert. Then- I got married.