Escalante/Powell Trip

• HTML tutorial

MtnManAlex

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I am planning a trip through southern Utah, starting in Moab and finishing in Vegas. The main point is to spend a few days exploring escalante and northern lake Powell for a couple of days.

What are some must-see locations in Escalante or along the northern shores of lake Powell?

Any awesome campgrounds you recommend?

Is it worth it to bring kayaks this time of year (12/27 - 12/31)

Best hikes?

I appreciate the tips and suggestions!

12C20

Rank V
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic II

South Jordan, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Ellis
Member #

I wouldn’t bring kayaks.

Down around Escalante the Hole In The Rock is a must see, in my opinion. It’s a 50-mile unpaved road out of Escalante to the Colorado River where pioneers in the 1880s built a wagon road down the cliff, and a ferry crossing to settle the San Juan River country.

MtnManAlex

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I ruled out the kayaks. It’ll just be too cold to enjoy it.

Hole in the Rock looks awesome. Apparently north of the lake is the long dirt road, and south of the lake is a moderate 4x4 trail. The trail side even has a Jeep Badge of Honor that only 20 people have ever gone there for. I’d like to both, but it looks like most a day to drive from one to the other (the ferry from halls crossing to bullfrog is closed for repairs). Have any of you done the trail on the South side of Hole in the Rock? Is it worth it?

WestCoast Overlanders

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Not sure of the direction of travel you're taking, north from Big Water or south from Escalante but if you're taking Smokey Mountain Rd there's another awesome dispersed campsite at lat 37.18831 lon -111.44556. It overlooks the terrain leading to Alstrom Point which in itself is amazing and you can see Page Arizona and Powell Lake. The drive from there to Escalante is about 2.5 to 3 hours which as I previously mentioned can be a bit rough in spots. We passed an older couple in an AWD on this road. He was white knuckled on the steering wheel and they both looked desperate. Needless to say you will see quite a few body parts from previous AWD's along this road. Feel free to contact me directly for more info. Check us out on Instagram at westcoastoverlanders and you can see some of our pics from last years trip. Cheers.

David Boyett

Rank 0

Contributor I

I ruled out the kayaks. It’ll just be too cold to enjoy it.

Hole in the Rock looks awesome. Apparently north of the lake is the long dirt road, and south of the lake is a moderate 4x4 trail. The trail side even has a Jeep Badge of Honor that only 20 people have ever gone there for. I’d like to both, but it looks like most a day to drive from one to the other (the ferry from halls crossing to bullfrog is closed for repairs). Have any of you done the trail on the South side of Hole in the Rock? Is it worth it?
Escalate to hole in rock very washboard and slow. love the remoteness and do the slot canyons. South 4x4 trail has been rerouted since we did it. Lot of atv on it now but we camped about half way but doable in long day.

Reactions: MtnManAlex

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
I am planning a trip through southern Utah, starting in Moab and finishing in Vegas. The main point is to spend a few days exploring escalante and northern lake Powell for a couple of days.

What are some must-see locations in Escalante or along the northern shores of lake Powell?

Any awesome campgrounds you recommend?

Is it worth it to bring kayaks this time of year (12/27 - 12/31)

Best hikes?

I appreciate the tips and suggestions!
I like Calf Creek falls for a good hike and both depending on which way you go either grand staircase which is smokey my road or the Burr trail.

Reactions: MtnManAlex