Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

Saw this van from Potential Motors (Canada) at Overland Expo.
Okay for off-road travel and the developers seemed open to a more rugged suspension and larger tires in the future. I thought it lacked clearance and could use a wider wheelbase for stability.

Reactions: AnthonyBroussard

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I swear I saw a similar concept a few weeks ago, might be the same vehicle or not, however.
Great idea, great system, might not be the best choice for the US but I could totally see it in Europe

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I have a few friends with Rivians on order that intend to (attempt to) overland with them. I'm sure they'll want to join me on trips so I expect to have to do a lot of planning around their limitations for those trips...

-TJ

OverDavidLand

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Vonderhaar
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6LNT
I've been waiting for my Cybertruck for two years and will probably be waiting for another two. It was my hope and dream to make that an E-Overlander, somehow. Details, details.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I am 100% on board with electric vehicles for daily driving, but I don't think we are quite there with range for overlanding. One also need to consider that in both hot and cold weather battery range will be reduced. Thats OK if you just need 20 miles worth to get to and from work, but could be a HUGE issue if off highway...

Reactions: MOAK

jaymoore24

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Paso Robles, CA, USA
First Name
jason
Last Name
moore
Member #

Okay for off-road travel and the developers seemed open to a more rugged suspension and larger tires in the future. I thought it lacked clearance and could use a wider wheelbase for stability.
if only i had an extra $ 137,000 laying around :tearsofjoy:

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
But, why? Aside from virtual signaling, switching to an EV would wreck my overlanding. And my overlanding is extremely mild.

I'm actually writing my politicians to suggest a ban on any EV not charged from the homeowners or business solar panels.
And codes requiring panels to be roof mounted and/or non landscape destroying. (non-land wrecking panels only, no eyesores)

Overloading our grid and pretending we're green, isnt going to work out well. Maybe when there is no grid, we can try again.

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

if only i had an extra $ 137,000 laying around :tearsofjoy:
IKR? Lemme just crack open the old piggy bank. I’m unsure if that’s Canadian or U.S. dollars, but either way it’s on par with the cost of Sprinter vans.

Reactions: jaymoore24

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

Overloading our grid and pretending we're green, isnt going to work out well. Maybe when there is no grid, we can try again.
Exactly. Don't forget cobalt and lithium mining and the fact that there will be millions of tons of spent EV batteries sitting in landfills in 10-15 years. Once lithium is in the water table, game over. But No FoSsIl FuEls GrEtA

cody92595

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arlington, WA
First Name
Dakota
Last Name
Howard
Member #

My buddy is waiting for his cyber truck for the same reason. He’s going to attempt the wabdr with it if it ever comes in. I voiced my concerns but obviously they fell on deaf ears. Range being the main concern he seems to believe the torque that electric motors provide will allow the range to not be to badly effected off road. I just don’t see it going well especially if he can’t make it out to the road. You would need quite the tow truck to haul one of them out of the middle of no where.

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

My buddy is waiting for his cyber truck for the same reason. He’s going to attempt the wabdr with it if it ever comes in. I voiced my concerns but obviously they fell on deaf ears. Range being the main concern he seems to believe the torque that electric motors provide will allow the range to not be to badly effected off road. I just don’t see it going well especially if he can’t make it out to the road. You would need quite the tow truck to haul one of them out of the middle of no where.
Haha wishful thinking. The Wrangler EV has a 21 mile range on battery. TFL Truck tested it off road and it went 3.4 miles on battery. That's about 16% of its estimated range.

I imagine the Tesla will have way more doo-dads drawing electricity and weigh about double what a Wrangler EV does, so draw your own conclusion there.

cody92595

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arlington, WA
First Name
Dakota
Last Name
Howard
Member #

Haha wishful thinking. The Wrangler EV has a 21 mile range on battery. TFL Truck tested it off road and it went 3.4 miles on battery. That's about 16% of its estimated range.

I imagine the Tesla will have way more doo-dads drawing electricity and weigh about double what a Wrangler EV does, so draw your own conclusion there.
Yup, guess I’ll get to see what happens

DosTacos

Rank VI

Influencer I

Pflugerville, TX, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
West
Member #

Having a 1st Gen Tacoma and also a Rivian, I have a few thoughts on how they compare for overlanding. First with regard to range, my Rivian actually has more off road range. I have been getting about 220-240 miles per charge from the Rivian whereas I get about 200 miles in the Toyota. The Toyota refill is faster and has better fueling infrastructure but the Rivian costs 1/10 of with the Toyota does to refill. ($120 round trip from TX to CO). I'm rarely more than 200 miles from an electric outlet anyway. Regarding the statement about EV batteries going to the landfill, that's just ignorance on display. Once they're done in the vehicle they are repurposed into second life applications such as stationary energy storage for homes and buildings. Once they are no longer viable for that, they are recycled into new batteries with over 95% of the materials being reused (see redwood materials).
If I look at power and torque, the Rivian has more than 800 horsepower and 900 ft lb torque compared to my Toyota which couldn't piss uphill if it had to.
It's also nice to run a fridge 24/7 as well as a Mr Coffee without worrying about the battery drain. I can also plug in a window unit AC for hot summer nights camping in Texas.
With >18k miles and around a dozen trips taken, the biggest downside is the charging infrastructure which will take a few years to catch up.
It's also nice to not have as much vehicle maintenance or repairs (fuel pump, drive shaft, alternator, plugs, oil, radiator, etc), just tires, wipers, and windshield washer fluid.
I'm not saying EVs are perfect for overlanding nor will I give up my Tacoma (something about a manual transmission) but EVs can easily be used for most overlanding. There's just a lot of fear and misinformation around them since they are so new.

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

Would be great if it was true regarding battery recycling. The infrastructure to effectively recycle ev batteries on a level needed to be anywhere close to sustainable isn’t there. Additionally, it’s currently cheaper to obtain new raw materials than it is to recycle and repurpose old ones.

P8trit

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Montana
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Campbell
The grid can't even support these EV's and the materials used to make them isn't practical. It's not overlanding if you have to stay within 200 miles of a charge.

Reactions: MazeVX and Arailt