Eastern Canada Trip Planning (New Brunswick, Nova Scotia)

• HTML tutorial

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Trying to head to New Brunswick or Nova Scotia this summer. Probably around August 2022 time frame. Will have 4-5 days for the trip. Will becoming from Western Maine. We are in the rough planning stages now.

Anyone have any suggestions for routes, point of interests, places to camp? Will be in my 4runner with a RTT. My two boys (9 and 11), my wife, and myself.

Was looking at crossing at Calias and taking RT 1 along the coast. Then either head into PEI (wife and I had our honeymoon there) or head north along the coast and cut back west and cross back into Maine through Houlton.

Reactions: Geisterbild

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Although I realise that we all travel differently, I think you're aiming to do too much in the time you have. We recently did a circuit around Cape Breton, starting near Windsor NS, driving the Cabot Trail, and returning to Windsor. It took us 5 days and we drove 1435 km (which is more than we usually cover which would have been 825 km in 5 days).

I assume you mean Calais, and if I assume also that you're starting in Portland (just as a reference) then your route will be 1800 km just going to Charlottetown and back (A to B to A). You would see nothing other than highway, and not reach Nova Scotia at all. I don;t want to discourage you, however if you want to see something of NB and NS then I'd guess you need at least 10 days.

NØMAD

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Newton
Member #

I am headed to NB & NS and taking the entire month of July to explore the area. First trip through there...

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Although I realise that we all travel differently, I think you're aiming to do too much in the time you have. We recently did a circuit around Cape Breton, starting near Windsor NS, driving the Cabot Trail, and returning to Windsor. It took us 5 days and we drove 1435 km (which is more than we usually cover which would have been 825 km in 5 days).

I assume you mean Calais, and if I assume also that you're starting in Portland (just as a reference) then your route will be 1800 km just going to Charlottetown and back (A to B to A). You would see nothing other than highway, and not reach Nova Scotia at all. I don;t want to discourage you, however if you want to see something of NB and NS then I'd guess you need at least 10 days.
You are correct I meant Calais. No worries PEI wasn't a hard goal. It was more of a "We have this many days to explore so lets see what we can find / camp if we make it to PEI great! If not its ok." Wife and I made it to PEI from Auburn Maine in a day but that was when it was just us and 13 years younger.

Looks like it is getting put off to next year anyways. Wife and I are both back in school this summer so any camping this year is going to be closer to home and with in LTE.

The Cabot Trail sounds interesting will need to take a closer look at it.

Thanks

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Take a look at youtube for venture4wd, he has been in that area
Yup my boys and I enjoy his channel. Especially his videos during the Maine/Canada time frame. I need to get on there and download his gpx eventually. Great suggestion thanks