Duramax ZR2 Build

• HTML tutorial

LWNZR2

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Saint George Utah
Member #

Hey all! Got the ZR2 in January, been using it for daily driving and traveling for business. Decided to give it a little more “umph”
I have a family member that has been Rock crawling and overlanding for many years, and I’ve been rock crawling for a few years now with a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, and I’m wanting to start over landing! This is how it looked the day I received it. Came stock with 31x10.50x17’s, 2” suspension lift, and 3.5” wider track (than normal Colorado’s) full size spare, with matching wheel, and of course, the pro claimed, MultiMatic DSSV Shocks!
137F3F2D-8A4F-4649-829E-FAAAE3500A7A.jpeg

For the 5 months we kept it stock, it was a great truck! Towed with it frequently, great in city and hwy gas mileage, comfortable, and loaded with great features for a fun weekend (ex. Lockers, 4wd, stabilitrack Delete, etc)

Finally, I decided to pull the trigger on my first major modification, a Fuel Harness Module by AG Diesel Solutions
3C90DF58-ABAF-4FA6-BF26-B043C7CE0FF9.png

Sadly, we had a bad experience with this module. Followed instructions, plugged in everything necessary, and went for a test drive. We were promised a 90hp gain according to this company. None what so ever. We returned it.

Next, we had a good and bad opertunity come up. Had a friend back into me (I was parked)
447BD396-7AAA-4920-ADF9-C7DAA6F3BC21.jpeg
Instead of buying a OEM bumper with the insurance money, decided to buy a new after market bumper.

We went with the ADD Stealth Fighter, with the Winch capability.
1CDECD43-C700-49CE-B467-06874A7DF290.jpeg
There wasn’t many options for the ZR2 due to the grill being different than most Colorado’s, but this was a great buy! Also added full Rigid Lighting, with the Rough Country MLC-6 Pod System. Installed the switches here!
45446A84-DBB8-4F98-B785-8C2471B01640.jpeg

In the background of the previous picture, you indeed see the works of my custom overland rack! Sadly I didn’t document the build, but me and a friend started the fab on the rack. Made out of 1.5” x 2” steel with .120 wall, it currently weighs around 90lbs. Bit heavy, but I’m not educated on aluminum welding yet.
Here’s a picture of it painted. We had to rush the rack some to get it Overland ready. Eventually it will be powdercoated
5210F02F-FC53-4989-8F36-005E4CEB14B0.jpeg
Will be documenting the Overland trip (8/30/18-9/3/18

We then had someone offer to buy our stock Good Year Duratracs, and we then purchased Maxxis Buckshot Mudder II’s. (33x11.50x17)We went with Maxxis because our Maxxis tires on the Wrangler performed great.
E8124A46-FC8F-4083-8C42-B937EFD1683A.jpeg

Since installing the tires, we noticed a very small decrease in power. This was expected, but towing capability was decreased quiet a bit. So I purchased the new Spectre Performane Cold Air Intake for the truck.
EE9A62C8-753D-4AC3-9F04-9E656ACDE63C.jpeg
We immediately noticed a huge gain in performance. Turbo lag was almost completely eliminated. A pretty cool turbo whistle was also gained

Exhuast all mounted up. We purchased a aFe ATLAS Large Bore 3.5” DPF Exhuast Back. Noticed it did tuck the Exhuast higher than stock. New Exhuast looks much bigger!!
7EFB115C-64DD-4CEA-9FD9-AF98F10D4553.jpeg
A2B24DAD-B2BF-4A64-8ACC-88EF1DBF4A3A.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
The ZR2 is on my short list of potential new Overlanding projects. With your current mods, what is your fuel economy? I would be using this rig to tow an expedition trailer, currently the Patriot Camper X1GT is leading the pack. This may change after Overland Expo East this year, after I check out all the other options. I would love to know more about your towing experience?

Renegade

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Texas
Nice rig.

The diesels have a small power band, they will benefit greatly from a gear correction. For tuners, try Bully Dog.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
For tuners, try Bully Dog.
I used to have the Bully Dog "Watch Dog" on my old 05' Chevy Colorado gasser. It gave me the biggest gain in fuel economy that I have ever seen! All it did was train the driver to be more efficient. lol It worked well and I liked it.

And through this post... I am now subscribed to the thread. Thanks for sharing! I just got a 2018 Colorado Z71 back on March 15th. Loving it. Slowly getting everything planned out on mine.

Now adays I tend to research everything to death until I Know what I need/want. Then I sit on it for a few months and then re-evaluate and start the process over again... saving for it while I do so. It has saved me many many thousands of dollars and usually I end up with things just right. Keeps me from ever needing a credit card as well.

That being said I have always driven a beater until now and always been happy. My old 05' Colorado had 232,000 mi on it and was still super reliable and running good when she left. I stay on top of preventative maintenance though.

EDIT: I am secretly hoping I hit a deer some time in the next few years on my long commute home. Then I can upgrade the front bumper and possibly even the hood as well. lol

Contributor III

That's a great set up. I've got a ZR2 and just looking to install the MLC-6 which arrived today. Any extra pictures on how you secured it by the cold air intake? Thanks!