Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I wanted to see if a 2006 GMC 2500 HD duramax could be made in to an overlander? And could it be strong enough to tackle the trans America trail?
'06 is a great year, it should be a LBZ and the six speed Allison, but pre-DPF/DEF: one of the most desired combos in the diesel truck world. What are you worried about as far as strength? Tie-rods in '01-10 GM HD trucks are a little weak, but the aftermarket has great upgrades. It's obviously not a solid front axle truck, so if you want to go big-big it's not the greatest platform unless you want to SAS it. I have a '11, which has the upgraded frame and much heavier duty front end parts. It works great as an Overlander with my Four Wheel Camper on the back. I'm solid axle swapping it currently, but honestly it's not "necessary" for Overlanding. I run 35x12.5-18"s right now which is plenty for traditional Overlanding, including the TAT. I want to do a bit more hardcore things, and if I'm being truthful I've just always dreamed of SAS'in it for the 11+ years I've owned it (bought it new) so I'm finally getting it done.

1644273612882.png

1644273626730.png

1644273638654.png

The only real downsides would be size and weight. You have to be willing to take a few trail stripes on a big rig like this. And yo have to be mindful of the weight in soft terrain. Mine weighs about 9600lbs as you see it here with the FWC on the back. With the 35x12.5 tires aired down a bit it does very, very well. I've even used this same truck for some deep dune recoveries (without the camper):

You just need to know what you're doing, and if you do lose traction don't bury the thing down to the frame. Also, keep in mind that often the other rigs in your group will be smaller/lighter and less effective at recovering your rig should you need it.

-TJ

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I wanted to see if a 2006 GMC 2500 HD duramax could be made in to an overlander? And could it be strong enough to tackle the trans America trail?
Welcome To Overland Bound
Tough truck I had 280K on my 05 before I sold it. I would take it with some minor upgrades
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You can use the Member Map to find other members and events in your area. You can also send a message directly from the map to other members.
RESOURCE MAP
You are in the Southeast Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
If you have any questions don't hesitate to message me, hopefully I can get you going in the right direction. @Kent R or Kent@OverlandBound.com

Reactions: dp454so

Duramaxdoc

Rank 0

Contributor I

Wilmington, NC, USA
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Buettner
'06 is a great year, it should be a LBZ and the six speed Allison, but pre-DPF/DEF: one of the most desired combos in the diesel truck world. What are you worried about as far as strength? Tie-rods in '01-10 GM HD trucks are a little weak, but the aftermarket has great upgrades. It's obviously not a solid front axle truck, so if you want to go big-big it's not the greatest platform unless you want to SAS it. I have a '11, which has the upgraded frame and much heavier duty front end parts. It works great as an Overlander with my Four Wheel Camper on the back. I'm solid axle swapping it currently, but honestly it's not "necessary" for Overlanding. I run 35x12.5-18"s right now which is plenty for traditional Overlanding, including the TAT. I want to do a bit more hardcore things, and if I'm being truthful I've just always dreamed of SAS'in it for the 11+ years I've owned it (bought it new) so I'm finally getting it done.

View attachment 222545

View attachment 222546

View attachment 222547

The only real downsides would be size and weight. You have to be willing to take a few trail stripes on a big rig like this. And yo have to be mindful of the weight in soft terrain. Mine weighs about 9600lbs as you see it here with the FWC on the back. With the 35x12.5 tires aired down a bit it does very, very well. I've even used this same truck for some deep dune recoveries (without the camper):

You just need to know what you're doing, and if you do lose traction don't bury the thing down to the frame. Also, keep in mind that often the other rigs in your group will be smaller/lighter and less effective at recovering your rig should you need it.

-TJ
Thank you I appreciate the response, I am not worried about trail stripes, I have custom pinstripes from Arizona lol. But I was worried that I would be too big and wide to stroll through the TAT. I was wanting to do all of it from my home state of NC to family in the pacific northwest and then back down to the Arizona area again and hitch back through Colorado and overland back through there to NC again. I have some friends that would want to join through the adventure.

Duramaxdoc

Rank 0

Contributor I

Wilmington, NC, USA
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Buettner

View attachment 222545

View attachment 222546

View attachment 222547

-TJ

Duramaxdoc

Rank 0

Contributor I

Wilmington, NC, USA
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Buettner
Picture of the truck some dents on the other side. I have a leveling kit but I'm going 6 inch soon. If I trim the inside fender well I could get 37s but I think I'll stick with 35s. Toyo rough country terrain should do the trick and then I can pack and pimp out the back. I just heard the switchbacks are super scary but I have seen ccsb tacos do it.

Attachments

Duramaxdoc

Rank 0

Contributor I

Wilmington, NC, USA
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Buettner
But it's interesting you're SAS'ing your truck because I could lift mine or sas it. And I was really thinking about simple leaf springs and strong a$$ shocks for the heavy bumper

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I can't speak for all of the trails in the TAT, I'd start doing research watching YT videos and maybe find thread on it here. I'm sure there will be "tight" spots, and bringing a chainsaw will be a must. But I don't suspect there'd be sections that are simply unpassable in a Fool Size because of width (but again, can't confirm or deny that).

As for the SAS, if you do it I'd do something like WFO's kit with the radius rods and coil overs. The GM trucks have a great ride with their IFS, and you don't want to go too much "backwards" there by doing leaf spring, IMHO (not that leaf spring can't get dialed in with exactly the right leaf pack and shocks and be pretty decent too). Like I said before, I definitely wouldn't consider a SAS a "must" for Overlanding a D'max truck. I've done plenty with my IFS, ~5" lift, and 35"s. It's comfortable and very capable, and if I was a smarter man I'd prob leave it alone ;)

The SAS is more of a dream coming true for me, and will allow me to explore outside the bounds of what would traditionally be considered Overlanding.

BTW, it looks like your truck is stock height, right? I think you'll at least need to level it AND trim/tuck (look up Norcal Trucks Fender Mod) to run 35"s. I'm not as familiar with fitting tires on the early body style, but GM did us no favors making square wheel openings for round tires. ;) If you get over on the various D'max forums you can learn from what others have done, and not risk wasting $ on tires you end up not being able to run.

-TJ

Reactions: dp454so

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Same for the it's switch and I do like the wfo concepts swap setup. What areas of the TAT have you completed already?
I haven't done any of the TAT yet, which is why I can't speak to it specifically. I've watched a lot of vid on it, including ones with larger vehicles like vans, so as a broad generality I think it'd be fine in a D'max - but I can't say from first-hand experience. I think a few tracks I've done technically overlap the TAT, but I haven't cross-referenced them yet. The entirety of the TAT is on my "bucket list."

-TJ

Reactions: Duramaxdoc

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hello Jesse, welcome to the OB family.

Donald_f1fe20

Rank 0

Contributor III

First Name
Donald
Last Name
McPherson

View attachment 222545

View attachment 222546

View attachment 222547

-TJ
Yes they do 2005 2500hd lly. It can carry anything. Been driving this truck since new.

Reactions: Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Yes they do 2005 2500hd lly. It can carry anything. Been driving this truck since new.
Best truck I ever owned. One of the biggest mistakes I have ever made was selling it at 285K.

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Welcome to the Overland Bound Community Jesse. Glad to have you join us.