Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I'm curious if anyone has had any experience with the Platinum Duralast batteries. I have used their standard batteries in other vehicles but never had a need for a higher performance battery till now. It looking like my current battery might be on it's way out and I'm looking to go from an OEM replacement to something that can handle the use and abuse of an overlanding rig. I have heard great things about Odyssey and Northstar Batteries, but both are hard to come by around where I live unless I want to drive an hour one way to get it or order it. AutoZone almost always has the Duralast Platinum battery for my WJ in stock so I want to consider that solely for it's availability and warranty. I can't imagine needing a ton of extra juice as I'm only running a couple small light bars and plan on adding one on the roof rack and a rear facing LED pod for trailer/cargo usage. Let me know what you think about these option, if you have any experience with them, and what route you suggest I should go. Thank you!

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

After poor performance of Optima yellow tops, I switched over to Diehard Platinums several years ago. They held up well in the desert heat and I was able to get better than average life from them. A few months ago I went to Sears to replace my 3+ year old battery and found out that Sears no longer carried them. With an Autozone literally around the corner from my house I went to see what they had and I decided to go with the Duralast Platinum. It’s only be a few month so I can’t vouch for long term reliability, but I have heard very good things from friends in similar situations.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
After poor performance of Optima yellow tops, I switched over to Diehard Platinums several years ago. They held up well in the desert heat and I was able to get better than average life from them. A few months ago I went to Sears to replace my 3+ year old battery and found out that Sears no longer carried them. With an Autozone literally around the corner from my house I went to see what they had and I decided to go with the Duralast Platinum. It’s only be a few month so I can’t vouch for long term reliability, but I have heard very good things from friends in similar situations.
I figure since Autozone is all over that replacement's (if needed, which I hope isn't needed) should be easily accessible. I'd like to get a Northstar since they have literally no bad reviews from what I can see, but the hour drive to get one is keeping me from doing so. I have yet to see a negative review on the Duralast Platinum, but that's only what's available on their site.

Last edited:

JoeyLuck

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Fallbrook, CA, USA
First Name
Joey
Last Name
Luck
Member #

What was the issue you've had with the Optima Yellow top battery? I've run mine for two year's strong and have had zero problems (including -40 degrees in Alaska), but I've read a few posts about problems with them, so I'm just curious? Thanks.

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

What was the issue you've had with the Optima Yellow top battery? I've run mine for two year's strong and have had zero problems (including -40 degrees in Alaska), but I've read a few posts about problems with them, so I'm just curious? Thanks.
I had two and both had to be replaced in less than two years. With summer temps in the 110+ for months, batteries take a beating and life expectancy is usually a little more than two years. Getting three or more years out of a battery is not very common.

Reactions: JoeyLuck

JoeyLuck

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Fallbrook, CA, USA
First Name
Joey
Last Name
Luck
Member #

I had two and both had to be replaced in less than two years. With summer temps in the 110+ for months, batteries take a beating and life expectancy is usually a little more than two years. Getting three or more years out of a battery is not very common.
Yeah, that's for sure. I was just wondering. I've had good luck so far, but am installing a second battery, so I was thinking of running an Optima Marine battery, so trying to see what people are running.

Plisken

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins CO, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Shields
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0GZI
Service Branch
US Army
I know this is now a few months old but I thought I would share some experience with the Optima batteries for others. In my experience they work as long as you drive your vehicle daily. If your vehicle sits for a week or more it is very likely the Optima will not be there for you when you do drive it. The rig I had it in was primarily driven on weekends and my journeys frequently began with a jump from another vehicle. After 30 mins or so of driving it was fine to turn off and on again without needing a jump. That is not the kind of reliability I want for an overland rig. I only used it for a starting battery and ran a pair of auxiliary lights for off road driving at night, plus the in-cab normal stuff. I would never buy another one. Maybe I had a lemon, who knows.