Chelsea, AL, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Culbertson
Member #

Service Branch
Former NOPD LEO
A lot of my outdoor gear was getting a little long in the tooth so time for an upgrade. For example, my Moonstone Goretex jacket bought in 2000 weighs 2lbs and my North Face fleece zip inner jacket weighs 1 1/2 lbs, and my LLBean 600 fill vest 10 oz. This stuff is ok for overland travel in cold weather but really heavy by today's standards, especially if you want to hike/backpack. So I researched a lot to find lighter weight gear to do double duty.

The result was new gear that shaved pounds off my existing long-term setup. First an Outdoor Research Goretex jacket at 12 oz, an Enlightened Equipment Torrid jacket insulating layer of Climashield at 8 oz, and an LLBean Ultralight 850 DryDown Vest 4 oz,
The OR jacket I've worn a handful of times and it has kept me dry...also appreciate the pit zips to vent heat. The vest I've worn a couple of times on chilly mornings in the high 50's and then the temperature here in Alabama got too warm. The EE Climashield jacket arrived 2 days ago so no test as of yet but many reviews on the web attesting to its warmth. We'll see come this fall.

I'm getting geared up for this fall to do some 4x4 trails and extend my travel backpacking where the double tracks end.
OR Foray Jacket.jpgEnlightened Equipment Torrid Jacket.jpg
LLBean Ultralight 850 down vest.jpg

Reactions: Sparksalot

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

Great choices! I absolutely love my EE down quilt - it’s kept me cozy on many a cold night. Both my down jacket and waterproof hard shell are from Arcteryx. Both were bought via eBay at a healthy discount. There are some great deals to be had on eBay if you do your research and shop carefully.
Have you looked at Eddie Bauer’s First Ascent guide pro pants/shorts? They’re super comfortable and if you watch for discounts, you can score some at 40-50% off.

Biker Eagle

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chelsea, AL, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Culbertson
Member #

Service Branch
Former NOPD LEO
Good scoop. Will look at the Eddie Bauer pants. Got the LLBean vest on Ebay for $21. Never worn and still in the sealed plastic bag from the manufacturer. No luck on the EE since everyone loves em so much they're not for sale.
Also got an Arcteryx Atom AR jacket back in January and wow what quality and warmth.

Reactions: ZombieCat

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

Good scoop. Will look at the Eddie Bauer pants. Got the LLBean vest on Ebay for $21. Never worn and still in the sealed plastic bag from the manufacturer. No luck on the EE since everyone loves em so much they're not for sale.
Also got an Arcteryx Atom AR jacket back in January and wow what quality and warmth.
I have an Atom, too. Best synthetic fill jacket I’ve owned.
It’s amazing what you can find on eBay, Craigslist, etc. if you’re patient and persistent. Earlier this year I was in the market for a new Osprey Stratus 24 daypack, which retails at REI for $140. After 10 years of use, mine had a high duct tape content, lol. I found one locally on Craigslist, in nearly new condition, for $20! I’ve purchased Arcteryx, Mountain Hardwear, Marmot and Big Agnes clothing and equipment at super low prices, some of it brand new. Heck, both my truck and trailer were pre-owned. The less I pay, the more I have to play!

Reactions: Biker Eagle

Biker Eagle

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chelsea, AL, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Culbertson
Member #

Service Branch
Former NOPD LEO
Love my Atom. Like you I scored an Osprey Talon 22 on Ebay for $50, just a couple of months ago. Always on the hunt for good gear at a great price, but sometimes have to pay full boat for the right piece of gear. Example: just made the latest shipment of Durston X-Mid 1 backpacking tent and paid the going rate. This thing is unobtainable as they have only a couple of runs each year and sell out in minutes. But yeah, love me some EBay/Marketplace bargains.

Reactions: ZombieCat