Drop axle for offroad trailer?

• HTML tutorial

Art

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Woodinville, WA
Member #

So coming in as a noob but wanting to build a trailer. I tend to see a lot of the drop axles vs straight axles. Is one preferred over the other or something to look out for with issues?

rmerron

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Scottsboro, Alabama, USA
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Peters
Member #

I did a drop to gain clearance and so my Kitchen and RTT would be at the right height. It does bring your center of gravity up. But if you keep heavy items low, batteries, generators, water, fuel etc I have not had an issue. But you can always roll one over if you get too crazy with your angles.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Art

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Woodinville, WA
Member #

I did a drop to gain clearance and so my Kitchen and RTT would be at the right height. It does bring your center of gravity up. But if you keep heavy items low, batteries, generators, water, fuel etc I have not had an issue. But you can always roll one over if you get too crazy with your angles.

So with a drop would you fully flip it to gain clearance? So from _---_ to -__- if that makes sense.

Art

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Woodinville, WA
Member #

This is similar to what I was thinking:

I found a good explanation about it here. This is the quote:

I think that it's viable, but within a small set of conditions. The now lift distance is going to put a large leverage on the spring perch and leaf springs. Any hard hits to the tire tread will be magnified at the spring.
Another issue is if there is camber in the axle. Some drop axles have camber built into them to offset flex under normal loading. If the axle chosen has this feature then the camber will be wrong when flipped over, and it will only get worse as the load on the axle increases.

So if there is no camber in the axle chosen and the roads that the trailer will be towed on are smooth then I think it's viable. As the road condition worsens the loads on the spring perches, U-Bolts, and springs themselves will increase. Where the failure point is I don't know, but I would expect it to be not too far out there.

rmerron

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Scottsboro, Alabama, USA
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Peters
Member #

I had my axle built. Therefore I have camber in mine. It also allowed me to have the spacing of the wheels the same as my rig along with same bolt pattern. So I only carry one spare. The axle was not that expensive, maybe around $500, that includes electric brakes. I would get electric brakes, makes for safer towing but to me more important give me better control on the trail especially going down a hill

Reactions: Art

rmerron

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Scottsboro, Alabama, USA
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Peters
Member #

Mine looks as your picture. Not sure what you call it. Can kind of see it in this picture. I would put shocks in it. I had a little sway when I hit large bumps at highway speed. This shock set up stopped that.

Attachments

Art

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Woodinville, WA
Member #

Mine looks as your picture. Not sure what you call it. Can kind of see it in this picture. I would put shocks in it. I had a little sway when I hit large bumps at highway speed. This shock set up stopped that.
Aww ok thanks! I was looking back through builds and realized yours is the inspiration for this one I'm looking to buy! Do you have any pictures of the interior of yours?

rmerron

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Scottsboro, Alabama, USA
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Peters
Member #

It was stolen last month when we were in Billings Montana, it was stripped so I'm rebuilding. Best to check out the walk around video.

rmerron

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Scottsboro, Alabama, USA
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Peters
Member #

Sorry Art, go to Expedition US, on YouTube, video name is " The Chuck Wagon" you can see all about the trailer.

rmerron

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Scottsboro, Alabama, USA
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Peters
Member #

I'm in Alaska so it's taking time to gather parts. Waiting on it to get warm enough to paint. I'll probably make another video. I'm on instagram also. Been posting some updates there. Expedition US

Art

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Woodinville, WA
Member #

I'm in Alaska so it's taking time to gather parts. Waiting on it to get warm enough to paint. I'll probably make another video. I'm on instagram also. Been posting some updates there. Expedition US

I'll find and add you. Watching the video now.

4S50

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Idaho, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Stef
I am also using an upside down drop axle on my trailer with short stiff trailer springs. With 35" tires I have plenty of clearance under the axle and have only rarely hung it up.