Driving Across Canada in the Winter - West to East

• HTML tutorial

Should I drive to the Canadian East Coast in December or wait till Spring?

• No, Wait for Spring

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

WesternDirtRoads

Rank VI

Influencer I

Hayward, CA, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Zacharoff
Member #

Service Branch
Army Sergeant
It was just announced that Starlink is now available across Canada and Alaska. They just turned on the service.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
in a very short time starlink will be available to anyone that purchases the app for their phone. All those expensive Satellite communication devices will soon be antiques. At this point an inexpensive PLB might be a better option. But for highway travel? Nah- plenty of traffic on the Trans Ca
I agree, for the TC Highway you really don't need a satphone or PLB. We'll keep our satphone for a while yet though.

Reactions: Grasshopper's Path

WesternDirtRoads

Rank VI

Influencer I

Hayward, CA, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Zacharoff
Member #

Service Branch
Army Sergeant
Reactions: Desert Rambler

WesternDirtRoads

Rank VI

Influencer I

Hayward, CA, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Zacharoff
Member #

Service Branch
Army Sergeant

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Quoted "..... in a very short time starlink will be available to anyone that purchases the app for their phone. All those expensive Satellite communication devices will soon be antiques. At this point an inexpensive PLB might be a better option......

I think that is a dangerous statement to say and there is some misunderstanding what a Sat Comm such as Spot, Zoleo etc do VS Elon Musk's Starlink. Starlink is Internet service, not a cell phone or a link to GEOS emergency services. Musk did partner with Sprint to provide a text messages service but NOT phone calls and not a world wide emergency team monitoring 24/7.
When you subscribe to an Emergency Locator service, like Spot or Zoleo, or you pay the higher price for a free use PLB type device, you've paid into those agencies capability to rescue you. You can't just grab your Starlink equipped phone and call them. In addition, when you push SOS, it pings your location at intervals continuously using low power. Until they rescue you. You'll have many days worth of battery until you are rescued. No such feature on your phone. And your cell phone will be long dead. What if you are injured and can't speak or are half conscious? No SOS button on your phone.
Many of the locators can be set to track you and send your location automatically to those you choose. So you have that extra peace of mind as well. Don't see Starlink doing that.
So just a quick clarification there.
Thankyou, that's why I mentioned that a PLB might be a better choice now. That's what I carry and even if I were to subscribe to starlink, (which I doubt0 , I'd still depend on the PLB, in addition to contacting family members that would know exactly what to do from their end. Redundancy? Yep peace out.

Enthusiast III

Clare, Nova Scotia, Canada
First Name
Michelle
Last Name
Bluhm
Michelle, sounds like you'll do just fine. Glad to hear you ditched the canoe and have new tires. I was going to suggest that, especially Blizzaks, but since you bought new already , that is still a plus. I would recommend a Sat communicator like Zoleo but perhaps that is something you are not able to deal with budget wise ?
Thanks. I also feel better about leaving the canoe. I knew it was the best option, but I can be stubborn....lol. It is better for the canoe too. Then I will go back across in the late Spring to pick it up.....another road trip is always welcome.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Michelle
Last Name
Bluhm
in a very short time starlink will be available to anyone that purchases the app for their phone. All those expensive Satellite communication devices will soon be antiques. At this point an inexpensive PLB might be a better option. But for highway travel? Nah- plenty of traffic on the Trans Ca
That is what I thought too, lots of traffic. But I already have a PLB at least.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Michelle
Last Name
Bluhm
The temps are low for this time of year here on the Sunshine Coast of BC and it started to snow today, which is also odd for these parts.

I'm hitting the road in two weeks, so I thought it would be good to go out for a drive to get some snow experience. ❄

IMG_3352.jpeg

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
The temps are low for this time of year here on the Sunshine Coast of BC and it started to snow today, which is also odd for these parts.

I'm hitting the road in two weeks, so I thought it would be good to go out for a drive to get some snow experience. ❄

View attachment 246019
Looks like the road somewhere between Halfmoon Bay and Pender Harbour? Beautiful area!

Here's a pic from when it was warmer this year, although not as warm as it can be...All Photos - 1 of 1.jpeg

Vfrobin

Rank III
Investor

Explorer I

Newark, Alameda County, California, United States
First Name
Robin
Last Name
Lanoue
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6DWM
Conditions through each provinces will vary a lot. So in general drive at a speed adapted to conditions, keep your distance for an escape route with other vehicles in case of emergency manoeuvre. Braking take longer and beware of black ice, especially in the Prairies where the wind blow hard and very low temperatures or quick weather change can happen. Snow tires gives the extra grip to keep you out of trouble (mandatory by December 1st in some Province)… so check what is required in Nova Scotia.

When you are tired just stop and rest.BRING EXTRA LAYER OF CLOTHING AND WATER IN CASE YOU ARE STUCK. Staying hydrated will keep you warm if you have to wait for help in the cold. Pack gloves , thick mitaines, warm hat, winter boot and more winter clothing. Get Jumper cables, a snow shovel, good quality snow broom and scrapper.

Buy your -35 windshield liquid in Rona’s, Home Depot, Canac,… at 2.50$ a Gallon (they come by the cases of 4) because they sell it at twice the price and more in gas stations. You might need one Gallon every 500-800km if it snowing and the road are wet with brine.

Enjoy the journey!

Enthusiast III

First Name
Michelle
Last Name
Bluhm
Conditions through each provinces will vary a lot. So in general drive at a speed adapted to conditions, keep your distance for an escape route with other vehicles in case of emergency manoeuvre. Braking take longer and beware of black ice, especially in the Prairies where the wind blow hard and very low temperatures or quick weather change can happen. Snow tires gives the extra grip to keep you out of trouble (mandatory by December 1st in some Province)… so check what is required in Nova Scotia.

When you are tired just stop and rest.BRING EXTRA LAYER OF CLOTHING AND WATER IN CASE YOU ARE STUCK. Staying hydrated will keep you warm if you have to wait for help in the cold. Pack gloves , thick mitaines, warm hat, winter boot and more winter clothing. Get Jumper cables, a snow shovel, good quality snow broom and scrapper.

Buy your -35 windshield liquid in Rona’s, Home Depot, Canac,… at 2.50$ a Gallon (they come by the cases of 4) because they sell it at twice the price and more in gas stations. You might need one Gallon every 500-800km if it snowing and the road are wet with brine.

Enjoy the journey!
Thank you for all the great advice. I will be prepared as possible. Now it’s just about keeping my anxiety in check. I think it will be easier once I am on the road. The lead up to any journey can have you imagining some crazy things.

Reactions: Vfrobin

WesternDirtRoads

Rank VI

Influencer I

Hayward, CA, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Zacharoff
Member #

Service Branch
Army Sergeant
OMG THAT SEEMS LIKE FUN! If you prepare. Prepare for getting snowed in on the road for 48 hours. Prepare for flats and broken axles. They have tow companies that will find you eventually. Great you are going with another vehicle. Get a good walkie talkie that works well between you. Be honest about driving fatigue and don't wait until the last minute if you sense a problem coming on. Be SURE to bring a carbon monoxide detector for when you park and run the engine. Try to keep fuel above half tank at all times, never ever try to stretch it out. Don't pass up that gas station. Speed kills in winter driving. Even if everyone going fast approaching a curve, you don't. Think the worst on that curve, black ice like on overpasses. CHAIN UP in mountain areas if the snow sticks and it gets slippery. You will know that if a hill goes up it will go down. Chain up just in case. Going slow on passes gets you there. Leave room in each vehicle if other vehicle passengers have to climb in. Be sure to bring rain gear. Bring warm gloves. Extra flashlight. Road flares and reflective triangles set WAY back to warn other drivers if you stall or slide. If you go off to the side so will others so prepare for impact. Always think ahead. Drive like you sitting in a car 100 yards ahead of you in bad weather. Better to wait for the storm to pass than be dead. AVOID NIGHT DRIVING. Get RadarNow free phone app. It shows storm progression. Finally, sing, listen to music, and ENJOY THAT SCENERY. Oh, and pray!

Enthusiast III

First Name
Michelle
Last Name
Bluhm
OMG THAT SEEMS LIKE FUN! If you prepare. Prepare for getting snowed in on the road for 48 hours. Prepare for flats and broken axles. They have tow companies that will find you eventually. Great you are going with another vehicle. Get a good walkie talkie that works well between you. Be honest about driving fatigue and don't wait until the last minute if you sense a problem coming on. Be SURE to bring a carbon monoxide detector for when you park and run the engine. Try to keep fuel above half tank at all times, never ever try to stretch it out. Don't pass up that gas station. Speed kills in winter driving. Even if everyone going fast approaching a curve, you don't. Think the worst on that curve, black ice like on overpasses. CHAIN UP in mountain areas if the snow sticks and it gets slippery. You will know that if a hill goes up it will go down. Chain up just in case. Going slow on passes gets you there. Leave room in each vehicle if other vehicle passengers have to climb in. Be sure to bring rain gear. Bring warm gloves. Extra flashlight. Road flares and reflective triangles set WAY back to warn other drivers if you stall or slide. If you go off to the side so will others so prepare for impact. Always think ahead. Drive like you sitting in a car 100 yards ahead of you in bad weather. Better to wait for the storm to pass than be dead. AVOID NIGHT DRIVING. Get RadarNow free phone app. It shows storm progression. Finally, sing, listen to music, and ENJOY THAT SCENERY. Oh, and pray!
Thanks for all the great points, no matter how many times I hear something, it is good to repeat it all until it becomes second nature.