Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I've seen enough of these sorts of videos, mostly on private property in Texas, and I find it embarrassing as a person who likes trucks, guns, and the outdoors. You can't keep every half-brain from driving recklessly, shooting recklessly, or talking recklessly but policies, permits, and education can sure help. There is a fine balance between creating policies affecting the responsible from irresponsible. Unfortunately the irresponsible don't understand they're the problem.
Not that I disagree about policy permits and education, but if your first sentence contains the phrase "mostly on private property in Texas" then how would policy or permits apply in those instances which you describe as "mostly"?

They wouldn't.

Had a tin roof that came out under my bedroom window when I was a kid. It covered the back kitchen and 3 season porch in a nice, ski-jump sort of angle The kind of roof that was joined with sort of upside down U channels, so it made tracks like slides. Yes, yes I did get out the window and slide down the roof to fly off into the snow.

Stupid? Maybe, but nothing any park ranger had jurisdiction over.

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@MattLew Well, it seems this post has created quite the little stir!

One thing we can all agree on is that regardless of the location, conditions, and safety, the good old Alphabet Soup Administration will surely have its fun using "those guys" as the reason to close down our trails, even if they weren't endangering any one or hurting any thing.

Reactions: rgallant

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Linky?

There's plenty of places that I can safely, and responsibly, shoot a rifle bipod right off the bed rail of my truck. If that offends thee, I don't care. I'm not your ambassador.

The most hardcore backpackers hunt their food on the trail. Not carry it. Ultralight backpackers have gotten along with them fine, for ages. Consider trading your candy, for fresh meat.

Every once in a while we get a social justice warrior in our group, that gets twitchy about a hunter nearby. But once we let them know that's OK, they drop it. 99% of that stuff is virtue signaling to feel cool and accepted. (RIghteous maybe). Once they see that it's not cool, they stop, and start to fit in.

And beware, how many of your trails and parks exist and are maintained mostly by hunters?

Our local trail clubs only pretend to maintain the trails with their silly little get togethers. They effectively get very little work done. Behind the scenes, Rangers and hunters working together, are the biggest group maintaining, around here. The horse community as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: AggieOE

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

Not that I disagree about policy permits and education, but if your first sentence contains the phrase "mostly on private property in Texas" then how would policy or permits apply in those instances which you describe as "mostly"?

They wouldn't.

Had a tin roof that came out under my bedroom window when I was a kid. It covered the back kitchen and 3 season porch in a nice, ski-jump sort of angle The kind of roof that was joined with sort of upside down U channels, so it made tracks like slides. Yes, yes I did get out the window and slide down the roof to fly off into the snow.

I'm hinting more toward keeping those who are reckless with guns and shooting them out of windows to be restricted to single shots or bolt actions. Responsible vs reckless is the differentiator here.

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I'm hinting more toward keeping those who are reckless with guns and shooting them out of windows to be restricted to single shots or bolt actions. Responsible vs reckless is the differentiator here.
Again...on private property, a person is not restricted from firing guns out vehicle windows that I am aware. If it is illegal there, then fine. Doing so from a municipal, county, state, or federal road, or doing so within x-hundred feet of a building is a whole different set of rules. Clearly. I just dont know that what they did is illegal. And your wanting to restrict something that someone is doing on private property that is not illegal (if indeed it is not, there), is odd.

Reactions: Sequoiadendron

Sequoiadendron

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast II

Arizona, United States
First Name
Dusty
Last Name
Sequoia
Member #

They wouldn't.

Unfortunately the video being discussed still has not been shared for any of us to see, my guess is these are former special ops guys showing a skillset learned in a past life.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I dont know. I'm in Massachusetts, one of the most -if not THE most - firearms restrictive states in the union, so I understand the desire to regulate. But I dont know that regulations or government overreach would do any good here

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Are you going to share this video so we can form our own opinions?

Wait, what? Rate of fire is your metric for recklessness?

Somebody is clutching pearls.

Post the link.

ETA: I see you're not the OP, so I guess you can't post the link. The rest remains unchanged.

Last edited:

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I'm hinting more toward keeping those who are reckless with guns and shooting them out of windows to be restricted to single shots or bolt actions.
i TOTALLY agree!
if youre in a moving vehicle and can't hit a giant stop sign with a single shot...you shouldnt be shooting at all...:rage:

1691625644399.png

Last edited:

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

Are you going to share this video so we can form our own opinions?

Wait, what? Rate of fire is your metric for recklessness?

Somebody is clutching pearls.

Post the link.

ETA: I see you're not the OP, so I guess you can't post the link. The rest remains unchanged.
Yup, not the OP here.
I also think there is a disconnect in this thread between those that hear shooting guns out of cars and think:
1) Hunting deer, coyotes, or boar from their car,
2) Aiming at set targets and practicing extremely important and needed call-of-duty skills,
3) Shooting randomly up and around blaring Lynyrd Skynyrd while chugging PBR.

I'm speaking to the 3rd option.

In my CHL class, I was a fan of the advice, "You're responsible for each bullet that leaves your gun and you should know where every single one ends up". Whether it's private property and legal or not, reckless is reckless.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Yup, not the OP here.
I also think there is a disconnect in this thread between those that hear shooting guns out of cars and think:
2) Aiming at set targets and practicing extremely important and needed call-of-duty skills,

In my CHL class, I was a fan of the advice, "You're responsible for each bullet that leaves your gun and you should know where every single one ends up". Whether it's private property and legal or not, reckless is reckless.
I wholeheartedly agree. You ARE responsible for every bullet that leaves your gun (unless you are Alec Baldwin for some reason).

All I'm saying is if for example, you have 200 acres of rolling woodland, and there nothing but trees, and you aren't shooting at a high angle where a bullet on a parabolic course could land in someone else's property possibly killing them, then I dont care what music you listen to.

And clearly, drinking alcohol while shooting is a danger in and of itself. Drinking should be saved for later. But I dont know that I've seen the video either

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

I wholeheartedly agree. You ARE responsible for every bullet that leaves your gun (unless you are Alec Baldwin for some reason).

All I'm saying is if for example, you have 200 acres of rolling woodland, and there nothing but trees, and you aren't shooting at a high angle where a bullet on a parabolic course could land in someone else's property possibly killing them, then I dont care what music you listen to.

And clearly, drinking alcohol while shooting is a danger in and of itself. Drinking should be saved for later. But I dont know that I've seen the video either
Agreed... unless we start seeing non-targeted animals getting hit off in the distance. Although I grew up hunting, I'm not a fan of maiming for fun or by a reckless accident.

This thread would be a lot more clear if the OP did just post the video.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Yup, not the OP here.

So you're of the opinion that a shot from a vehicle cannot be an aimed shot, or that you don't know where it goes?

The simple fact a shot is made from a vehicle is in no way an indication of recklessness or lack thereof.

I have shot many, many, many thousands of rounds from every kind of position imaginable, including from vehicles bot moving and stationary.

I have also known many "CHL Instructors" and have not only a generically low opinion of them, but a generically low opinion of the quality of the students they produce.

But lets return to your assertion that somehow a "single shot" or "bolt action" being fired from a vehicle is "less reckless", explain that please.

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
This conversation is meaningless without the video link. Opinions are opinions, but opinions without being able to view the subject matter are worthless opinions.

Reckless shooting is reckless shooting, regardless of where you are - there are places where you can do it, and there are no places where it is safe to do it.

Letting a mini gun rip while you're riding hands-free on an ATV is reckless shooting. (It is also reckless driving.)

Letting a mini gun rip AT A TARGET (whether an animal approved by local regulation to be hunted or otherwise killed, or a stationary or moving purpose-built target) while you are hanging out of a moving vehicle driven by some one else, in a place where doing so is legally allowed, is neither reckless shooting nor reckless driving.

We can discuss it all year long, but the law and its relative enforcement is ultimately the determining factor.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Lol.

Going helicopter piggy blasting. If you're hiking in a cut field.....duck.
Mask-Group-11-1.jpg

With any luck we'll get some Mk1 Overlanding horses out too.

Last edited:

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

This conversation is meaningless without the video link. Opinions are opinions, but opinions without being able to view the subject matter are worthless opinions.

Reckless shooting is reckless shooting, regardless of where you are - there are places where you can do it, and there are no places where it is safe to do it.

Letting a mini gun rip while you're riding hands-free on an ATV is reckless shooting. (It is also reckless driving.)

Letting a mini gun rip AT A TARGET (whether an animal approved by local regulation to be hunted or otherwise killed, or a stationary or moving purpose-built target) while you are hanging out of a moving vehicle driven by some one else, in a place where doing so is legally allowed, is neither reckless shooting nor reckless driving.

We can discuss it all year long, but the law and its relative enforcement is ultimately the determining factor.
Agree that the video should be posted or the thread locked.

Everything is safe until it isn't. Ripping through the dessert in a vehicle at 70mph is perfectly safe, until something gets in front of you.

Freedom is scary, and sometimes dangerous.

Pearl clutching is disingenuous and always disgusting.

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

So you're of the opinion that a shot from a vehicle cannot be an aimed shot, or that you don't know where it goes?
No, not my opinion. See options 1 and 2 from my post. These aren't what I'm referring to.

The simple fact a shot is made from a vehicle is in no way an indication of recklessness or lack thereof.
Correct. See options 1 and 2 from my post. These aren't what I'm referring to.

I have shot many, many, many thousands of rounds from every kind of position imaginable, including from vehicles bot moving and stationary.

I have also known many "CHL Instructors" and have not only a generically low opinion of them, but a generically low opinion of the quality of the students they produce.
Thats terrific. The statement is still unequivocally true. You ARE responsible for each bullet that leaves your gun and you should know where every single one ends up.

But lets return to your assertion that somehow a "single shot" or "bolt action" being fired from a vehicle is "less reckless", explain that please.
Commonly, more effort (or time) requires more intention. Therefore, commonly but not always, "Bang" is more controlled and accurate than "Bang-Bang-Bang-Bang-Bang".
I... I don't think you read anything I wrote. I responded to your comments in your quote above.

I agree with @DintDobbs that this thread is meaningless without the OP's video.

Last edited: