Harriman, TN, Tennessee 61, Harriman, TN, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lewandowski
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4DIE
This is probably going to piss some folks off... I foresee "hey I do not do that" comments... if you don't do that, you are not "that guy" and have nothing to worry about.

So I am watching youtube, and they decided to autoplay a channel I had never seen before... This "overland" channel wastes no time cutting to B-Roll of 3 guys rolling down the trail (looked like a public dirt road) in their jeeps (stickered with too many american flags to count) shooting AR15s out the windows before going to voiceover talking about how overlanding is "great survival training for the apocalypse". (my comments on that channel where not as polite as I am trying to be here.)

People, we are ambassadors for anyone who participates in off roading, or vehicular camping, (or most anything outdoors really) cause most people who do not take part in the hobby do not know any different between the different aspects. Be mindful of the image you project.

Thankfully, I can honestly say I have been following outdoor channels (including overlanders, rock crawlers, bush crafters, etc.) a LONG TIME and it has taken me this long to see someone displaying that level of stupidity in overlanding. I have seen other outdoors hobbies given a bad name because of irresponsible behavior... please do not let it happen to this one too.

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
Hey, I don't do that.

(Sorry, couldn't help it.)

Let's be real here. Overlanding and off-roading started that way: the military originated both. The function of "overlanding" (long before it was called that, and before Australia existed where the term originated for herding), traveling distances with packed gear and using survival skills to stay alive, goes back to the very origin of humans. Travel and kill, conquer and dominate. Those doofuses are the ones who win every major war, whether they are the good guys or the bad guys. They win by destroying every thing. Perfect no-brains to put into the bottom ranks of the military. "That guy" is the one for whom jeeps were built, to transport packed goods for survival and guns for killing people into hard-to-reach places, so they could kill people more effectively. Many of us don't like them, but those guys are the ones who brought off-roading into America from overseas, where they first used the jeeps during deployment. We just hoped they'd leave the shooting across the ocean.

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Hey...I don't do that.
(couldn't resist either)

Most of my life I've fought the "Off-Roader" stereotype. The environmental groups would use these picture/videos to prove to the politician's how evil we all are. Then at meetings, when their trying to close our routes because of this, the off-road guys who are good get mad because of it.
During my time doing AAT work, it was a constant battle.
Someone here posted about a bronco that slid off a bridge. It turns out, those pictures went viral. There's a very good chance those will be used by someone to prove how dangerous the bridge is and how irresponsible the driver was. If the correct person is in charge of that area, the route could be closed.

Its too bad the few, screw it up for the many.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Hey...I don't do that.
(couldn't resist either)

Most of my life I've fought the "Off-Roader" stereotype. The environmental groups would use these picture/videos to prove to the politician's how evil we all are. Then at meetings, when their trying to close our routes because of this, the off-road guys who are good get mad because of it.
During my time doing AAT work, it was a constant battle.
Someone here posted about a bronco that slid off a bridge. It turns out, those pictures went viral. There's a very good chance those will be used by someone to prove how dangerous the bridge is and how irresponsible the driver was. If the correct person is in charge of that area, the route could be closed.

Its too bad the few, screw it up for the many.
To be fair, the bridge WAS hinky, and the driver MAY have been irresponsible but sure wasnt careful enough. Didnt know there was another way, or didnt care.

Thing is, back in the 80's and 90's, this could have happened to me, my brother and our friends. Instead of "going viral", it would have just been local folklore that our kids and nephews recounted as they tried the same stupid thing 20 years later.

Reactions: DintDobbs

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Hey...I don't do that q1 !"
Hey, I don't do that.

Let's be real here. Overlanding and off-roading started that way: the military originated both. The function of "overlanding" (long before it was called that, and before Australia existed where the term originated for herding), traveling distances with packed gear and using survival skills to stay alive, goes back to the very origin of humans. Travel and kill, conquer and dominate. Those doofuses are the ones who win every major war, whether they are the good guys or the bad guys. They win by destroying every thing. Perfect no-brains to put into the bottom ranks of the military. "That guy" is the one for whom jeeps were built, to transport packed goods for survival and guns for killing people into hard-to-reach places, so they could kill people more effectively. Many of us don't like them, but those guys are the ones who brought off-roading into America from overseas, where they first used the jeeps during deployment. We just hoped they'd leave the shooting across the ocean.
True. Jeep was invented around WW2 - 1941. And before that it was pack mules and horses and camels. What else is there to say? And while shooting from a public conveyance is illegal in my state I dont know it's illegal where they were. If it was even a public road.

Doesnt mean I myself wouldnt target shoot while in the middle of nowhere. Or that it isn't actually good practice for emergencies like clearing out of town on account of an impending hurricane or something.

My cup of tea? Perhaps not. But, A cup of tea.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Thing is, back in the 80's and 90's, this could have happened to me, my brother and our friends. Instead of "going viral", it would have just been local folklore that our kids and nephews recounted as they tried the same stupid thing 20 years later.
Before social media, it wasn't as much of an issue. The "other's" would take pictures of damage. As long as you cleaned up, you were good. 90's brought us message boards (early forums) and we all knew not to post stuff. Of course i would go to a closure meeting and sure enough, video or pictures of a bunch of Yahoo's being stupid.

I guess I take this stuff personal because for three decades, I was one of the guys on the front line having eco guys screaming at me to shut it all down. We won some and lost some. It sucks when people give them all sorts of ammo though.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Before social media, it wasn't as much of an issue. The "other's" would take pictures of damage. As long as you cleaned up, you were good. 90's brought us message boards (early forums) and we all knew not to post stuff. Of course i would go to a closure meeting and sure enough, video or pictures of a bunch of Yahoo's being stupid.

I guess I take this stuff personal because for three decades, I was one of the guys on the front line having eco guys screaming at me to shut it all down. We won some and lost some. It sucks when people give them all sorts of ammo though.
Absolutely right

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
People, we are ambassadors for anyone who participates in off roading, or vehicular camping, Be mindful of the image you project.
i dont take responsibility for other people or their perception of things. these people you posted about shooting a gun out of a vehicle are no more an ambassador of anything than i am. just individual people doing whatever...

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
The Gubment is on a crusade to take away all rights and privacy.

It's just a matter of time.
well, society has been programmed to accept that starting at a very young age...
think about it...starting in kindergarten, we were already getting punished for what other people do. some kid was talking in class so EVERYONE gets recess taken away. i was in the navy and THAT is the military/government playbook...exert control over people by claiming wrongdoing on behalf of some random person and then take away whatever you want and people will accept it. government would get resistance if they just walked door to door demanding everyone's guns...BUT...claim a kid was hurt by a gun or "somebody" acted irresponsible with a gun and now they have to be taken away for OUR safety...people will accept it with little to no resistance because we have been programmed to do that. want to shut down some public land for a political reason? easy! show a vid of someone rutting up a trail somewhere and claim its killing the environment and while society is outraged at the random person...government is quickly exerting their control. you can REALLY screw people over and as long as they have someone to blame...they will take the hit time and time again with zero resistance...

look at the outrage caused by a video of a rando shooting out on a dirt road some where. nothing has been said or done, but people are already freaking that it will be a catalyst for land closure. we are so programmed that we already anticipate and accept our "punishment" before it even happens...

Last edited:

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@grubworm Regardless, we all know that "that guy" is the excuse that the government agencies use to justify taking away our fun.

We could all take a stand by purchasing private land where we can do whatever we want, and opening it to the public - but I suspect that even we would take issue with the kinds of people who would make themselves regulars.

So, I do have to say that, regardless of "programming" if that's what you want to call it, SOME times (governments seem to universally have terrible judgment as to WHEN) it is necessary to take some thing away from the many, in order to prevent harm to the few.

There are several major (and controversial) examples that I could mention, but that is off-topic to both thread and forum.

"Those guys" have been, and will continue to be, the ones who represent us in the minds of the public. The public can choose to cultivate its own opinions, but it's usually easier to just accept what you heard somewhere than it is to actually observe for yourself.

All we have is the video of what happened. We don't know who, where, or how legal. Could have been somebody like Whistlindiesel who does stuff wrong using his own equipment on his own property just for hoots and hollers, and some clown missed the point.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Link to this channel so I can have my own unbiased opinion.

Jeeps, American flags and AR15's are all things I love.

Never ever even once seen someone on the trail shooting out the window. Have seen people in actual classes and improvisational training shooting from a vehicle and have absolutely no problem with that or belt feds from a helicopter..

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

Link to this channel so I can have my own unbiased opinion.

Jeeps, American flags and AR15's are all things I love.

Never ever even once seen someone on the trail shooting out the window. Have seen people in actual classes and improvisational training shooting from a vehicle and have absolutely no problem with that or belt feds from a helicopter..
I've seen enough of these sorts of videos, mostly on private property in Texas, and I find it embarrassing as a person who likes trucks, guns, and the outdoors. You can't keep every half-brain from driving recklessly, shooting recklessly, or talking recklessly but policies, permits, and education can sure help. There is a fine balance between creating policies affecting the responsible from irresponsible. Unfortunately the irresponsible don't understand they're the problem.

Sequoiadendron

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast II

Arizona, United States
First Name
Dusty
Last Name
Sequoia
Member #

If a Hollywood film showed the same exact content would it be judged the same?
YouTube is like the new Hollywood filled with all kinds of actors. I understand it’s a business and people will post what they think others will watch/react to

Akicita

Rank IV

Advocate I

Firestone, CO, USA
First Name
Akicita
Last Name
Lakota
Member #

Hey, I don't do that.

HOKA HEY Brother !!!!

plains-archery.jpg
Lakota.jpg
north-africa.jpg images.jpg
Scorpion.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I've seen enough of these sorts of videos, mostly on private property in Texas, and I find it embarrassing as a person who likes trucks, guns, and the outdoors. You can't keep every half-brain from driving recklessly, shooting recklessly, or talking recklessly but policies, permits, and education can sure help. There is a fine balance between creating policies affecting the responsible from irresponsible. Unfortunately the irresponsible don't understand they're the problem.
Be that as it may, and you are certainly welcome to your opinion, I'd like a link to the video in question so I can form my own opinion.

Thanks.