Does anyone take mountain bikes on overland trips?

• HTML tutorial

Jerome1500

Rank II
Expedition

Contributor III

Burnaby, Metro Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Jerome
Last Name
Weisenfelder
Member #

Threads and posts are better with pics…
KB voodoo crossbars compatible with the retrax cover
Rocky mounts for lock and KB voodoo’s rear tire tray. It’s a couple extra steps than a hitch/tray style but I like it up and out if the way. The fork lock grips the axle so it can’t be spun out and bike stolen. I know a motivated thief can work to get it but this will slow them down. I strap my gazelle tent between my and my wife’s bike.
Very similar to what I have. I will swap out out the bike carrier for the skis carrier in winter

I have two Yakima bike carriers that fit along with the storage basket. I still haven’t figured out the best configuration to give me better visibility, but it works.

Attachments

Reactions: BlackDog1

GBGCR4x4

Rank III

Advocate I

Florida, USA
First Name
Gianluca
Last Name
Boncompagni
I've done it twice. There was a trail close by on a camping site we went to. We used the bikes every morning. It was great. Second time we took them just to explore, didn't use them as much. I guess I'll do it again by doing some research on nearby trails. I also carry them with the thule hitch mount system, so it's not affecting the space inside my vehicle or up on the rack.

Reactions: jrlombard

jrlombard

Rank V
Adventure

Advocate III

Laurel, MD, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Lombard
Member #

I've done it twice. There was a trail close by on a camping site we went to. We used the bikes every morning. It was great. Second time we took them just to explore, didn't use them as much. I guess I'll do it again by doing some research on nearby trails. I also carry them with the thule hitch mount system, so it's not affecting the space inside my vehicle or up on the rack.
I think that's the direction I'm headed. There's no more room inside the truck, so the bike is probably going to require an attachment. I just got the email notice about the REI member sale next week... :-)

Reactions: GBGCR4x4

BlackDog1

Rank II

Enthusiast III

The Mitt
First Name
John
Last Name
C
Member #

Very similar to what I have. I will swap out out the bike carrier for the skis carrier in winter

I have two Yakima bike carriers that fit along with the storage basket. I still haven’t figured out the best configuration to give me better visibility, but it works.

That is sweet/functional. I am planning on the same set up with the skinny warrior basket. the deep space box looks like it holds a ton Or I was also thinking of a long tool box for a bit more security. But I haven't done anything except the bike mounts. Good problem to have...

Jerome1500

Rank II
Expedition

Contributor III

Burnaby, Metro Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Jerome
Last Name
Weisenfelder
Member #

That is sweet/functional. I am planning on the same set up with the skinny warrior basket. the deep space box looks like it holds a ton Or I was also thinking of a long tool box for a bit more security. But I haven't done anything except the bike mounts. Good problem to have...
I have seen a few configurations with the long Roam storage locker instead of the basket. May be something to consider but I think they are pretty expensive

Advtres

Rank VI
Adventure
Investor

Influencer III

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham Callsign
KN6STB
So got my rack for the Onyx e-bike and tested it out. Works awesome!!!! Also got one of those hitch stabilizers and I think that helped.
The hitch carrier is 36lbs (Black Diamond Aluminum)
IMG_2693.jpg