Does anyone take mountain bikes on overland trips?

• HTML tutorial

jrlombard

Rank V

Advocate II

Laurel, MD, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Lombard
Member #

Long-time mountain biker here. I know there are a lot of places we travel that don't allow mountain biking. I'm definitely not asking about that. My question is how many of you bring bikes to ride legal trails? Asked another way, we already bring so much stuff when we travel, how do you feel about bringing more? I've done lots of bike-only trips, and am just starting in the world of overland travel. I'm trying to envision what a combination of the two looks like, and whether I have enough room in my Tacoma (short-bed) for everything on a family (of 4) overlanding trip?

Jerome1500

Rank II

Contributor III

Burnaby, Metro Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Jerome
Last Name
Weisenfelder
Member #

I have the same question. I am already planning to bring my bike and it’s part of the build out of the rig is to incorporate a couple of Yakima bike racks. I also have a short bed it’s ram 1500. I have talked to a few people who say they don’t but not because the cant they just simply are not into mountain biking. My guess is as long as you stay on the service road or dirt road you can ride your mountain bike on it otherwise the trail system is all have their own regulations, but that is just a guess and probably varies by region

Reactions: jrlombard

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
I went a little farther and got a Onyx eBike and a hitch carrier for the 4runner… that way I can scout out trails or cruise around and check out the sights. So with 1 bike and the carrier it is under 200lbs and that space was not used for anything anyway. Since I go pretty light with gear I feel pretty darn good about it!

BlackDog1

Rank II

Enthusiast III

The Mitt
First Name
John
Last Name
C
Member #

I have a retrax cover with slots for mounting racks. I went with Voodoo Crossbar set up. Great build quality and look better than the others. Plus a 800 lb load capacity beats anything out there. Price is spot on or better than other brands and made in USA. I use Rocky Mounts fork mounts for the bike on the voodoo crossbars. Im a tent camper so I don't need room for a $4k tent. it looks good works well the bike is secure when traveling and it is locked so there is a little security-I am sure the lock can be broken or bolts undone. But I like to explore and see what is out there. Some of the best scenery/wildlife watching has been done on my bike.

I love ebikes. So much fun to ride and reach is better for my old legs. Lots of trails parks and places are outlawing them for one reason or another. too bad. They are great.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

Maybe not always a mountain bike but I make room for some kind of bike. Other than trails and exploring nearby areas, the beach bike was used a few times to get gas, bait and relay messages.
I still regret getting rid of it, it was a strange old Nashiki frame I modified to be a single speed with rear drum brake so there were no cables to corrode.
For mounting, I’ve settled on this very simple arm bolted to my truck bed. A second tie point is clamped to the front of my truck bed to keep it from moving forward and backward. It passed my 1,500 mile roads test that included good amounts of short and bumpy as well as the vibration of long drives without stopping for adjustment. For my bike with drop outs, I have a mount bolted to the trailer spare.

Attachments

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I have a Trek Roscoe Mountain Bike with wider than normal tires that I take Overlanding. I have a nice hitch mounted bike mount that can be locked and plan to take my Mountain Bike to Expo East this year just so I have a quicker mode of transportation around the Expo grounds besides walking.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
the wife and i have bikes with a hitch mount carrier on the tundra. worked fine, but now we have a decent sized pitbull that travels with us and the stuff that used to go in the back seat needed to be relocated for the dog to have room and that meant the bikes stay home and the relocated gear goes to a hitch mount basket, we have a shell on the truck and sleep in the back with a decked system, so the back is totally used up.

we have a small camp trailer with a bike carrier on it, so now we have to take the camp trailer if we want to bike. the camp trailer also carries our kayak and SUP, so we either go fast and light in the truck only or plan on taking the camp trailer if we want to use our toys.

funny...the youngest kid went off to college over a year ago and that is the same time we ended up with the dog. kids and dogs pretty much share the same inconveniences...i'm always giving up something for one of them :expressionless:

but yeah, bikes are great to take for exercise and to cover ground faster than walking. i have a fuji hybrid that i quit riding after buying a 29er. love riding it around the larger camp grounds and around small towns. dont do trails with it or out on busy roads

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Sometimes I'll take the bike, I like my toys and use them while overlanding. I ride daily while at home so I kinda hate not to take it. Most of my trips are water based.

OcoeeG

Rank II

Enthusiast III

SE TN
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Gee
I would like to figure out a way to bring bikes with us on certain trips but I am not there yet. My trailer has a good bit of open space in the middle so that might be an option. Or I could weld a hitch receiver to the back and add a bike carrier. But that would take a lot of weight off the tongue and I am not sure I want to go there. When we have the trailer the inside of the truck is usually pretty empty, so that is an option as well. But yes, the ability to take bikes is something I would like. They come in really handy sometimes and as my 10 yo son get older I can see us doing a lot more mtn. biking. Will be interested in reading the response on how y'all get it done.

jrlombard

Rank V

Advocate II

Laurel, MD, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Lombard
Member #

I love ebikes. So much fun to ride and reach is better for my old legs. Lots of trails parks and places are outlawing them for one reason or another. too bad. They are great.
I'm with you. I see a lot of hate for e-bikes, and while I don't own one, I've ridden a VERY well-spec'd version of the Specialized mountain bike and I get it!

BlackDog1

Rank II

Enthusiast III

The Mitt
First Name
John
Last Name
C
Member #

I'm with you. I see a lot of hate for e-bikes, and while I don't own one, I've ridden a VERY well-spec'd version of the Specialized mountain bike and I get it!
I rode Kanuga Bike PArk in Hendersonville NC and rented a Mullet From The Hub in Brevard. 96'r with XT components. I needed the ebike for the bike park with no shuttle. Now I want one because it is so cool. My LBS In Detroit Says they are very popular in California to ride in the hills and trails of Northern CA and Oregon. But in Michigan people call the police on you if riding on state trails. how lame...

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
I rode Kanuga Bike PArk in Hendersonville NC and rented a Mullet From The Hub in Brevard. 96'r with XT components. I needed the ebike for the bike park with no shuttle. Now I want one because it is so cool. My LBS In Detroit Says they are very popular in California to ride in the hills and trails of Northern CA and Oregon. But in Michigan people call the police on you if riding on state trails. how lame...
I get the feedback on e-bikes on trails ( and am not intending to stir any feelings/emotions/law breakdowns with this post).

My husband is angsting over where we can ride the bikes ( he does not want to deal with confrontations on our holidays).

My feedback to him is as long as we are respectful of other people ( going slow ) and not being a D*&# then it should be fine ( our bikes are rated on the high end ) but can be throttled to a lower output. If we/I do encounter others who feel they are entitled to provide us a dissertation on the California laws of e-bikes then we will be polite and respectful.

geez the last thing an officer needs is to get calls about a bicyclist on a trail... who has time for that!

jrlombard

Rank V

Advocate II

Laurel, MD, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Lombard
Member #

If we/I do encounter others who feel they are entitled to provide us a dissertation on the California laws of e-bikes then we will be polite and respectful.
Agreed! That's a fantastic attitude. Escalating the issue likely won't help anyone.

BlackDog1

Rank II

Enthusiast III

The Mitt
First Name
John
Last Name
C
Member #

I get the feedback on e-bikes on trails ( and am not intending to stir any feelings/emotions/law breakdowns with this post).

My husband is angsting over where we can ride the bikes ( he does not want to deal with confrontations on our holidays).

My feedback to him is as long as we are respectful of other people ( going slow ) and not being a D*&# then it should be fine ( our bikes are rated on the high end ) but can be throttled to a lower output. If we/I do encounter others who feel they are entitled to provide us a dissertation on the California laws of e-bikes then we will be polite and respectful.

geez the last thing an officer needs is to get calls about a bicyclist on a trail... who has time for that!

trail etiquette is never optional. I run into mostly polite and cordial people on the trails.

Reactions: MarioT'sCJResto

BlackDog1

Rank II

Enthusiast III

The Mitt
First Name
John
Last Name
C
Member #

Threads and posts are better with pics…
KB voodoo crossbars compatible with the retrax cover
Rocky mounts for lock and KB voodoo’s rear tire tray. It’s a couple extra steps than a hitch/tray style but I like it up and out if the way. The fork lock grips the axle so it can’t be spun out and bike stolen. I know a motivated thief can work to get it but this will slow them down. I strap my gazelle tent between my and my wife’s bike.

Attachments

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

I have the same question. I am already planning to bring my bike and it’s part of the build out of the rig is to incorporate a couple of Yakima bike racks. I also have a short bed it’s ram 1500. I have talked to a few people who say they don’t but not because the cant they just simply are not into mountain biking. My guess is as long as you stay on the service road or dirt road you can ride your mountain bike on it otherwise the trail system is all have their own regulations, but that is just a guess and probably varies by region
I went with Yakima's HangTight 4 for my Ram.

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
I guess it depends on what my plans are. If I'm going someplace to ride, like the Gold Lakes and Downieville area, absolutely. If I'm just wheeling about, probably not since I'm not spending enough time in 1 spot to ride.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Well,............since I drive a 52 year old vehicle(well maintained) and generally travel alone in the Outback of Nevada, I take my 2003 Titus full suspension mtb as backup if I breakdown or to explore dubious trails. I would love to have an e full suspension fat bike! Waiting on that lotto win.....any time now......what? Wait, time to buy ANOTHER TICKET!!!!!!

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
I guess it depends on what my plans are. If I'm going someplace to ride, like the Gold Lakes and Downieville area, absolutely. If I'm just wheeling about, probably not since I'm not spending enough time in 1 spot to ride.
You just named two of my fav. spots to camp and explore :blush: