First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Hi!

DD Hammocks is the brand of the tarp. 3x3 means 3 by 3 meters, I think u can get them in the US Products . The poles are telescopic twist locking system I bought at the local camping store so nothing special, many different brands. For cordage I use 550 paracord.

The architecture in Belgium is pretty decent ;), and so is the eye for detail! If u like to see more pm me. The grass was still pretty fresh laid a couple months before the picture . But it is still very nice and green! Thanks!

If you like to know or see more let me know.
Happy to help!
Thank you for the reply and web site info. , your set up is clean and simple which is the way I like things. I forget sometime , that in your country you use metrics, I should have know better. Love to visit your country if I was younger ! As we say here, "don't get around much any more" !

Laurensvh

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Beerse, België
First Name
Laurens
Last Name
Hemeldonck
Member #

Thank you for the reply and web site info. , your set up is clean and simple which is the way I like things. I forget sometime , that in your country you use metrics, I should have know better. Love to visit your country if I was younger ! As we say here, "don't get around much any more" !

Hey

No problem, as you can see there are even bigger tarps. They are pretty lightweight and compact. I store mine in a 8 litre drybag and compress it so it can even go on a hiking trip. The main advantage for me is that they have plenty of loops to attach a ridge line/poles/tie down ... and give many configurations.

I did use a seam sealer on the stitches after a couple uses.
My setup is gonna change since i finally got a roof rack, now it was tied over the roof to the wheels on the other side of the car. With the rack i can just tie it on there and get an even bigger awning.
Will have pics of that in a couple weeks.

FYI you can even make a tent of these tarps ;)

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I use a 6x8 canvas tarp I picked up on Amazon. It's a little more expensive than the cheap plastic tarps but MUCH quieter. I also have a Kelty Noah's tarp 12 that I can use if I want a larger cover area.

I've seen folks use those long magnetic strips from Harbor Freight to temporarily attach tarps and whatnot to the sides of their Jeeps.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Hey

No problem, as you can see there are even bigger tarps. They are pretty lightweight and compact. I store mine in a 8 litre drybag and compress it so it can even go on a hiking trip. The main advantage for me is that they have plenty of loops to attach a ridge line/poles/tie down ... and give many configurations.

I did use a seam sealer on the stitches after a couple uses.
My setup is gonna change since i finally got a roof rack, now it was tied over the roof to the wheels on the other side of the car. With the rack i can just tie it on there and get an even bigger awning.
Will have pics of that in a couple weeks.

FYI you can even make a tent of these tarps ;)
I noticed the many tie down holes in your first pictures and was one reason I wanted to know more about the tarp. The cost is very reasonable for it's size as well. My biggest complaint about the ones here in the states is the lack of tie down holes or places to insert the poles. I follow cockroach prepper on utube and he has similar equipment and techniques he uses that I like. Thanks again, there was a USA supplier in your web site which will help me obtain the tarps. I think the 4x4 is more to my liking at this point. I do have a big roof rack which will also help my situation.

Reactions: Laurensvh

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I use a 6x8 canvas tarp I picked up on Amazon. It's a little more expensive than the cheap plastic tarps but MUCH quieter. I also have a Kelty Noah's tarp 12 that I can use if I want a larger cover area.

I've seen folks use those long magnetic strips from Harbor Freight to temporarily attach tarps and whatnot to the sides of their Jeeps.
I was thinking of buying three of that particular size (6x8), zip tying them long side to long side and short side to short side to making an L shape to wrap around the rear of my LRD2. El cheapo wrap around set up. It would require 6 adjustable poles !

Reactions: Downs

Laurensvh

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Beerse, België
First Name
Laurens
Last Name
Hemeldonck
Member #

I noticed the many tie down holes in your first pictures and was one reason I wanted to know more about the tarp. The cost is very reasonable for it's size as well. My biggest complaint about the ones here in the states is the lack of tie down holes or places to insert the poles. I follow cockroach prepper on utube and he has similar equipment and techniques he uses that I like. Thanks again, there was a USA supplier in your web site which will help me obtain the tarps. I think the 4x4 is more to my liking at this point. I do have a big roof rack which will also help my situation.

Happy to help!
They also have a 'pro' version with metal eyelets on at least 2 sides i think where u can insert poles. What i still might do is put some stitching in the loops and make a second tiny loop close to the edge of the tarp so i can insert to pole in there and it all gets a litlle tighter and even more secure..
Have and enjoy future adventure!! ;)

Micheal369

Rank III
Launch Member

Builder I

Lebanon, TN, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Bennett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRUN860
What are other options, other than stakes in the ground for anchoring? I sometimes find myself setup on old lots that are just gravel covered parking lots. Occasionally with out trees for shade. I use a 10x10 pop up canopy that works but is a bit more bulky than i prefer. A tarp and tent poles seems like a good option but i am curious as to what kind of anchoring options are people using when stakes in the ground are not likely to work.
You could get/make some heavy canvas bags with drawstring top and dee rings. Fill them with onsite rock/dirt/debris and use like sandbags. The empty bags are light and portable since you can just dump them back out when you are done.

Sandpoint Steve

US NorthWest Region Local Expert
Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
working on making my own Batwing. These are my sketchup drawings. I had a friend with a CNBC plasma cutter cut out the top and bottom plates out of 1/4” steel plate. The arms will be made of 1/2” and 3/4” EMT conduit. Arms are 78” long and it will mount on the left side if the 4Runner.
Batwing 4swing 67 No top plate.jpg
Batwing 4swing 67 R1.jpg
Batwing 4swing 67 Top.jpg
952 copy.jpg

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

Sandpoint Steve

Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
Sketchup let's me swing the arms around. The top view shows the rotational centers I used. I kept moving them until it all worked. They can swing counter clockwise to the stow position without hitting each other. Tricky part was that arm #3 needed to swing past arm #4. That's why arm #4 has a unique mount allowing #3 to pass by the joint.

I wanted coverage on the left side of the truck. My RTT deploys to cover the right/passenger side. Arm#4 swims to go across the back of the truck providing coverage for the kitchen/cook area.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I love sketchup, really miss my pc for that program. I used to scratch build RC airplanes and would draw my own planes with Sketchup

Reactions: Sandpoint Steve

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Sketchup let's me swing the arms around. The top view shows the rotational centers I used. I kept moving them until it all worked. They can swing counter clockwise to the stow position without hitting each other. Tricky part was that arm #3 needed to swing past arm #4. That's why arm #4 has a unique mount allowing #3 to pass by the joint.

I wanted coverage on the left side of the truck. My RTT deploys to cover the right/passenger side. Arm#4 swims to go across the back of the truck providing coverage for the kitchen/cook area.
Then the bracket design is yours. Do all these awnings have double bars for strength ? I've never examined one to see how it's built so I don't know anything about them. Dosent seem like alum conduit would be strong enough. Why did you use two different sizes ? Can you weld alum ? I have braised it but never elect welded it. What material will you use for the awning, one piece or three pieces ?

Sandpoint Steve

Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
EMT is actually a steel product. Using it because it's also super cheap. 3/4" for vertical pieces at the joint. I have a 3D printer and have printed bushings to go in the top and bottom of those. The larger size lets me get the bushing and the stainless steel bolt down the center. The rest is 1/2" to conserve weight. They are pretty stuff but I figured the truss design will be free standing in the end.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
EMT is actually a steel product. Using it because it's also super cheap. 3/4" for vertical pieces at the joint. I have a 3D printer and have printed bushings to go in the top and bottom of those. The larger size lets me get the bushing and the stainless steel bolt down the center. The rest is 1/2" to conserve weight. They are pretty stuff but I figured the truss design will be free standing in the end.
Okay I understand the design now. What does ETM stand for ? _ _ _ _ _ Metal tube ? The bushings fit into the ends of the 3/4" vertical pieces and the 1/2" pieces are the arms that form the trussed horizontal arms ! I like it ! I'm assuming it bolts to your roof rack.

Reactions: Sandpoint Steve

Sandpoint Steve

Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
Electrical Metallic Tubing—EMT
EMT is also called "thin-wall" conduit because it is thin and lightweight, especially compared to RMC. EMT is rigid but can be bent with a simple tool called a conduit bender. EMT is installed with couplings and fittings that are secured with setscrew or compression-type fasteners.

Sandpoint Steve

Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
Yep I think you are getting it.
You can see the bushings at the Botts of area 1 & 2 in the second picture.
Some of the commercial products use extruded aluminum beams,but this will cost less than$100.

Sandpoint Steve

Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
I love sketchup, really miss my pc for that program. I used to scratch build RC airplanes and would draw my own planes with Sketchup
It is a fun tool I designed my 4runner kitchen with it. Digital mock-up. When through many design changes before cutting into the plywood.

Reactions: M Rose