Do you keep a knife or hatchet/axe in your rig?

• HTML tutorial

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

I usually carry a small pouch about the size of a fanny pack that has a few pockets. Main pocket has my trailer hitch ball mount, and jumper cables, and the top pouch has a Mora bushcraft black knife and a bahco Lapland folding saw. I also carry paracord and mason twine in there. I usually keep a small 10'x10' tarp in next to the spare tire in the trunk.

Reactions: Outdoordog

Brandy Wine

Rank I

Contributor III

Delaware
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Marziotti
I keep a foldable limb saw, and my daypack with one of the Benchmade bushcraft knives. I will probably add a small hatchet as well

cug

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Guido
Last Name
GNE
Hatchet, two different saws, a bushcraft knife and a multitool. Right tool at a the appropriate time is the key. There are many things that can be done with an improvised tool, but why would I do that if I don’t have to?

And an edit to the above: I don't try to trim down the number of things I bring as long as they actually serve a different purpose. A hatchet or small axe, a knife, and saws serve different enough uses to justify bringing all of them. If I can do something just as well with one vs. the other, I look for the one that can handle more uses. E.g. I generally don't bring a hammer – I have so many other things I can use for this, a hammer is just not a worthwhile addition in and by itself.

Last edited:

Patman

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast III

Hollister, Ca
First Name
Patrik
Last Name
Hultin
Member #

Fiskars Hatchet for splitting wood
folding limb saw for limbs, I guess (Trees, not people)
Folding 6" chefs knife for food prep
Pairing knife, for pairing?
Trusty Spyderco pocket knife, for everything
Gerber multi tool

Ok, I've been known to over pack.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I have a Fiskars X7 hatchet, a small Fiskars handsaw and a bushcraft knife with me on tour. A multitool anyway. The Fiskars hatchet is now about 10 years old, was much in use and is still perfect. Brand new I have mini hatchet from Hultanfors. This is really very nicely finished and does very well despite the very small size. I like the classic look of the Hultanfors hatchets.

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
Belt knife (current favorite is a custom hand forged full tang made by a friend-knife maker - Harry Black from Boise “ Boise Blacksmith” on my hip, machete (Cold Steel) under the back seat, long handle axe and bow saw in the tool box of the rig and a small (14”) chain saw in the truck bed when off the beaten path. All but the belt knife are to clear felled trees off the trails. Belt knife...everything else...lol

Chuckem12

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

South Florida
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Mike
Member #

I keep a Eastwing Camp Axe, a SOG Hatchet, an Ontario Machete, and an Ontario Blades Afghan Knife plus an assortment of folders and two Leatherman's throughout my truck. They are always in the truck and I've found that the random use justifies the daily carry. I've also started keeping a 24 inch crow bar and a splitting chisel in the bed full time just because....well, you never know when you'll need them. The total weight of all the blades and such is not enough for me to concern myself in terms of MPG's.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

A knife is a knife, and a hatchet is a hatchet.

I dont use one as the other unless under duress. No need to have to sharpen a knife because I was playing with it battening, when I have a hatchet. And I'm not cutting steak with my hatchet, although I could, because I recently sharpened the hell out of it.

Like @Chucem12, I have an Estwing Camp Axe, which is really the size of a hatchet. Forged from a solid lump of steel, so no head to fly off a wooden handle. Leather wrapped handle.

And then I have an assortment if knives:

-rescue knife, Byrd CaraCara (sheepsfoot, serrated). These love in the Center consoles of my old Jeep Grand Cherokee and another in my GMC Sierra, to cut seatbelts if necessary, God forbid.
-Victorinox Swiss Army knife, varying in flavors 2 to 4 layers, always in my pocket. 2 blades, scissors, saw, openers, screwdrivers
-usually a Spyderco clipped in my other pocket. Either Native 5 or Atlantic Salt, depending on my plans. If I'm at the beach or fishing it's the Atlantic.
-usually have a Leatherman on my belt if I'm not in the office.
-also keep a Swiss Army and Leatherman in my backpack, and another set in the truck.
-when camping we also have a chef's knife in the kitchen gear for food prep.
prep.
-I do also have a machete, but it rarely needs using.

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

Beautiful Busse’s there @Outdoordog, very nice.

I like to carry multiples of all; Gerber axe w/ pry bar & Hults Bruk camp axe, Bear Gryls hand saw & Agawa hand saw, Ontario 12” & TOPS Black Rhino, Gerber tactical 6” & Swedish mora, 2x multi tools, 2x large folders, 2x havalon handles with 2 packs (24) blades, 2x pocket knife. On my person I’ll have a Swedish mora, Medford fat daddy, and leather man multi tool at all times.

I encourage others to do the same simply because of traveling with others. I’ve loaned out more gear to people, friends & family especially, and they’ve either lost, broken, or ”misplaced” them and I’ve been stuck without them. I can’t even tell you how many multitools I’ve lost in the sands of Baja because of the holes that must’ve gone straight to the earths core. It’s like you drop it, you look at where it fell, you stick your hand in the sand and it’s GONE!!! Never to be found again. We lost a shovel, looking for a really nice knife my buddy dropped, could NOT find either of them anywhere. It’s crazy how easy the just vanish into thin air.

So lessons learned, always have a back up and if anyone asks, sure, here you go, you can use this one. Please bring it back….

Safe travels to you all!

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Keep an axe, leatherman, a gunsmight multi tool (has a knife on it so I think it counts) a fillet knife (stays with the fishing rod behind the back seat) my Benchmade knife is always on me, and I have a cold steel folding knife in the center console just in case I lose everything else.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I always have an axe, machete, hatchet, fixed blade survival knife, folding knife, and a multi tool in my rig… my survival saw may or may not come depending on if the chain saw is making the trip.

Each tool has its own job,