Contributor III

Near St. Louis
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Blevins
Member #

Great write up!

For folks looking to find a replacement for the TMS folding part I found this on Ebay. Looks like it might be the same unit. Out of Chino California.

No connection to these folks just looking to do this myself and thought this could help someone else too.

SteveC-Pro4X

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Havertown, PA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Coscia
Member #

This DIY solution looks interesting.

I couldn't help but notice that Amazon Reviews of the "TMS Foldable Adaptor 2 Inch Trailer Hitch Mount" item # B005AX93O6 got really bad reviews for weak welds, thin metal and holes not lining up.

Did anyone have the above issues with your?

TexasGMG

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hell
First Name
Fuck
Last Name
Off
I bought this for $15 from Northern Tool. Then used the tongue from a hitch basket I'd already bought (I'd bolted the basket across the front of the truck bed) for the upright and welded a tire carrier to it. I placed it high enough that it clears the hitch when down After mounting it I decided to notch the upright and bend it back toward the truck. just to tuck it in better.
I'm either gonna have to buy one of those anti rattle things or just drill a hole and weld a nut to the hitch and use a bolt to hold it tight.

I like it simply because I can now carry two spares on a trip without losing space in the truck bed and I can still pull the trailer with our camping gear.

Last edited:
Reactions: Solo Saga

MuloChico

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Modesto, Ca
First Name
Alan
Last Name
Hamilton
Member #

^^^ That's the one I used.

I also needed extra fuel and water (one of these cans will be replaced with a water specific one) so I picked up 2 of the Wavian can holders and a couple of straps. I used some scrap 1-1/2 steel to make brackets and used a strap on top and one on the bottom (fully adjustable) and this is surprisingly sturdy for a short term solution. Eventually I want a bumper/tire carrier but this will do for now.

IMG_20200604_170403.jpgIMG_20200604_170443.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: syncro

Rank II

Enthusiast III

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Z
Last Name
Varela
Just wanted to share the idea I came up for my friends fj 100. A tire carrier that mounts over the tow hitch and still allows you to use your tow hitch and keep the Tire from scraping on the ground when on a steep hill.

20190203_161050.jpg20190203_161340.jpg20190203_161354.jpg

Jmisslyn

Rank VI

Influencer I

Napa
First Name
Lyn
Last Name
Collins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCU
Just happened upon this..Brilliant !

überlander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Kultala
Member #

Service Branch
Retired Army
I Love this, I'm all about making stuff work for you and not just buying what's available, thank you much and I plan on putting this into use for sure :)