Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

So I am thinking about moving my fridge to the bed of my truck to get it out of the cab. The plan was to out it in the back near the tailgate but I'd like it to slide out so that it will be even with the end of the tailgate when extended for easier access.

To that end I've started looking at fridge slides, and they are all in the 275 to 1100 dollar range. I just can't see spending that much money on something for my fridge to slide on. So, I got to thinking... What's so difficult about using a couple of 200 lb drawer slides, 2 peices of 3x3 angle iron and a sheet of hdpe for the fridge to sit on? Am I missing something? It seems it would not be too difficult to build your own slide with basic hand tools...

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I'm there with you. New fridge will be here Monday. It'll probably be March before I'll get around to it, so you have some time to perfect things and pass on some primo knowledge.
The basic plan I have in my head isn't going to be fancy but I fail to see why it won't work and I'll probably have it done for less than $100 if I shop around for materials.

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

Yes my plan is to get some sliders that lock when extended and then come up with some sort of pin locking the slides when they aren't in extended position

Reactions: Barton Fink

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
I made my own fridge slide using heavy duty slides, angle steel and aluminum and plywood. If yours is gonna be out in the elements then yeah HDPE would be better, also all aluminum. I regret not having a lock on the slides though. Would really have helped. It was a lot of measuring and cutting and drilling but works fine and I used the money saved for some new shocks :)

Reactions: jtraverso

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I made my own fridge slide using heavy duty slides, angle steel and aluminum and plywood. If yours is gonna be out in the elements then yeah HDPE would be better, also all aluminum. I regret not having a lock on the slides though. Would really have helped. It was a lot of measuring and cutting and drilling but works fine and I used the money saved for some new shocks :)
Yes it will be out in the elements. That was the major reason for hdpe. That, and it's not expensive and it's durable.

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

Nomad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Thanks Steve. Well looky here they just put that upload in a spot I dont look the bottom OK so here is my slider think this was a 16 inch slider want it out more get longer slider think I have seen up to 24 inch sliders at hardware stores... Definitely helps getting stuff in and out of fridge... Would even be easy enough to put a double slider together...
fridge slider.jpg

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
I snapped some pics tonight while I was removing the slide for some electrical work. Pretty simple. There's the floor plate which is bolted down to the truck floor by factory tie down holes and then there's the fridge plate.

Don't be afraid to overbuild when doing a slide. I should have used thicker materials. It works fine but I have to be conscious when handling the fridge and sliding in and out, can't thrown it around. Have a solid mount to the truck and solid connection points between the slides and plates. Use precise measuring when cutting and sketching and plan where the fridge moves, where the cord goes, where gear will be and how the location is affected by the elements.

IMG_3233.JPG IMG_3234.JPG IMG_3235.JPG IMG_3236.JPG IMG_3237.JPG IMG_3239.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Des

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

OR
Thanks for posting these pics. It's an interesting puzzle to get this just right. I've seen CNC cabling cover used to keep the wiring safe, but will have to modify it, since the stove will be on a slider underneath the fridge.