Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
So I am not yet in the portable fridge camp and am still pretty happy with my Yeti Cooler, even on longer trips (1-2 weeks) it works pretty good for what I need it for.
Yet I was figuring all things could be better and if I could keep the ice longer, well that is bonus all around.

So I searched online and found some cooler cozies but they are either expensive or not really what I was looking for.

I came across a couple folks doing their own cooler covers to insulate from sun and heat.
My biggest concern is leaving the cooler in my rig ( when in bear country) or at the camp.

So basically what they did is purchased insulation and then crafted it around their cooler using aluminum tape.
I followed along and now have a cover for my Yeti!
Proof will be in the testing, but I am optimistic!

I think you could do the same thing for the portable fridges. Just more holes for the vents and such.

What you will need :
Double Insulation for the cooler. I used this from Amazon - Roll was $30 and you have enough for basically 2 coolers.
Aluminum Tape : Amazon Link $11 and might be useful for other things as well.
Two old ties to make handles : You could use anything really or nothing at all.

Lay out your cooler and figure out how you want to approach this. I did kinda like the take out boxes. One piece for the lid and one for the bottom.
I have about 1-2 inches of overlap between the bottom and the top, you can do it to whatever specifications you like.

Instructions :
Measure out your cooler and determine how much of the insulation you need to cover to your desired dimensions.
Using the diagram below, cut and tape as noted. The side cuts should almost touch, so measure accordingly.

Notes :
I added extra tape at the bottom to protect the plastic.
I reinforced the corners with you guessed it more tape.

tempImage42ZkDz.jpg tempImageZWBAbX.jpg

cooler cover.jpg

Last edited:

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Did something very similar for my fridge and it does help. Those are old ties for the handles! Hahaha. Nice!

Reactions: El-Dracho