RockingDad

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Essex, UK
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Tye
So not really wanting to part with £270 for an awning but tired of getting my balding head fried.. as I'm getting my gear together for overlanding I thought I have a go at building my own. Had some old poles in the shed so ordered a tarp and some height adjustable legs and got to work. Going to try it on the forest this weekend hopefully but the rough design is there. Took about 30 minutes to make up in the garden...I'll do a video if anyone is interested :)

Tarp and adjustable poles were £20.

Sent from my SM-N910F using OB Talk mobile app

RockingDad

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Essex, UK
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Tye
The white poles are from an old garden awning that got damaged but some of the pole that were good were kept and the adjustable poles (up to 2.3 metres long) were from a uk ebay seller :)

Reactions: Marine7

RockingDad

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Essex, UK
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Tye
Excellent look forward to seeing yours. Had I not had the old white poles already the cost would have been a lot higher. I'm going to see how it goes and if it's ok I'll buy some tent material and get my Mrs to run up a new smarter canopy and perhaps a couple of sides or something when the tarp eventual wears out. I don't want it permanently mounted to the jeep as its my daily driver and some muppet will try and vandalise it, so just need to have a think about a quick release mounting system on the roof bars. I need to fabricate my old expedition rack from my old jeep zj before i can put it on the KJ otherwise I'd sort something for that.

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
The mount to the car part is where i'm struggling right now as well. Quick Fist clamps and a PVC pipe are where i'm leaning right now. I have the clamps mounted to my roof basket but the PVC pipe is a little to flexible. I'm going to drop a dowel rod or some EMT conduit inside it to hopefully firm it up.

The nice thing about using the PVC pipe for a mount is you can take a 10-14 foot section, cut it in half, put some threaded ends on it and its a lot easier to transport using the same quick fist clamps.

Reactions: RockingDad