Rank III

Pathfinder III

Buffalo Grove, Illinois, United States
First Name
Mike
Last Name
G
Member #

Hey everyone, I’m new to this idea of dispersed camping and I’m trying to figure out what the verdict is on where you can do it.

So as far as I know you can do it in National Forests. Thing is, I’m reading in some places that you can do it in ANY National Forest with some stipulations of how far from the road etc. Then I’m reading and hearing that you can only do it off certain roads.

So I hear you’re supposed to look at the MVUM and you can only camp off the roads labeled for dispersed camping... makes sense. Now my confusion is that if there are no dispersed camping roads indicated on whatever MVUM I may be looking at, does that mean that there is NO dispersed camping allowed at all within that map? To make things worse, there are blanket statements on some of the maps that say “Dispersed camping is prohibited on designated roads”. Now does that mean all the roads designated on that map I CANNOT dispersed camp or I can camp on all those roads as long as there isn’t a physical sign that states “No dispersed camping”.

I hope this post is clear enough so I can get some clarification.

Thank you!

Reactions: Dusther210

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I'm sure others can give more clarification. But, near as I can tell, it varies from one location/NF to the next. Some places it forbidden unless it in a designated spot. I was recently looking at Black Hills NF and it looks pretty open to off-roading and whatever. Permit may be required. Who want to camp on a traveled road? Most NF have campgrounds with varying degrees of support/facilities for a reasonable price based on what they offer. Just pull up their online sites and see what the deal is. There's plenty of nooks and crannys to get away from the crowds.

Reactions: Horizons Infinitum

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
What state will you primarily be camping in? In AZ we have a lot of State Trust Land where you can camp. It requires an annual permit but otherwise free. Not every national forest has MVUM maps. If they do every one of them will show you where you can camp and what the rules are. Certain wildlife areas will allow you to camp but only either in designated areas or very close to the road. BLM land is not national forest and you are allowed to camp there as well unless some local area rule prevents that.

In UT one area required you register to be legal but it was free.

Best thing to do is stop and in talk to the folks at the national forest you are visiting.

It really depends on the where you are at. There isn't a simple answer but it also isn't overly complex. As suggested above if National Forest you can visit the website or in person when you can. I know Covid has closed a lot of in person visits though.

John Bishop

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Harpers Ferry, WV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

To largely echo what the previous replies have been; there is no simple answer. I'm on part of this learning curve myself.
I think having and knowing resources available is part of the battle. I've accumulated a sizable folder of bookmarks for trip planning.

Don't know if you have these bookmarked yet or not, but well worth it:
National Forest website
Calling the local office is the best source of accurate info.

Buried in the layers is their interactive map. I've spent hours (OK, I can be a real simpleton at times. lol) browsing areas I want to explore. Click on a road or feature and a window pops up with info.

John21powerwagon

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Every Forest may have their own “Forest orders” which basically in addition to the standard 36 CFR section 261 general prohibitions. I will us the San Bernardino NF as an example. The SBNF has a forest order that states you cannot disperse camp within 1/4 mile of private property, state highway or campground/day use are ( developed site). Another order restricts dispersed camping within 150 feet of a stream and within 1mile of Deep Creek in certain areas. I just use that as an example of how local rules can vary by local federal agency, state or county.

Now the next part of that is you are in area that allows dispersed camping and you opt to drive off the MVUM and cause resource damage in the process, you might end up with a violation notice. This also rears its ugly head when overlanders travel in packs and sometimes herds try to find a campsite.

Know the local rules and tread lightly.

egilbe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Biddeford, Maine, USA
First Name
Earl
Last Name
Gilbert
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFT263, HAM:
The only National Forest I'm intimately familiar with is the White Mountains. Only two roads that I know of that one can camp with their vehicle. The rest is either for backpackers/hikers or campsites where there is a fee. I've seen on some of the FS roads, pullouts where it looks like one could camp, but have never seen anyone camping in those spots. I did find a spot off of Sandwich Notch road that looked like a camp spot. Definitely need a 4WD to get to it. I bottomed out a bit in my Ranger. The skid plates were put to use for the first time.

The NF interactive mapp shows the free camping spots, if you want to spend hours looking foor them. It not easy to find them using that tool, but I did find one in the Allegheny NF so it can be done.

Horizons Infinitum

Rank III

Pathfinder III

Buffalo Grove, Illinois, United States
First Name
Mike
Last Name
G
Member #

Thank you everyone for the advice and tips. So long story short, I should call the office for the NF I plan on going to and ask them directly. Seems pretty straight forward and obvious. I was just hoping that USDA Forest Service would have set up all their maps to be explicit with what the regulations are, but what can you expect from government?

For now I’ll mostly be traveling in northern Wisconsin, UP Michigan, northern LP Michigan, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Minnesota until I get my feet on the ground and more comfortable with the concept of Overlanding.