Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
You can get two of the three with a Chinese knock-off diesel heater from amazon/ebay/ali-express. They're reasonably quiet and easy on the wallet, but not always super intuitive to control. the installation is pretty straight forward if you watch YT videos, don't even bother with the user manuals. I run one and it works great. I also have a bunch of friends that use them as well. They are small enough you can install them in lots of places, too, including trailer tongue boxes and pelican cases.

Reactions: MazeVX

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I have a 5kW diesel mounted in an mtm box on my spare rack. I use it to heat my RTT in the winter. It works awesome.

I'm planning on permanently mounting a 2kw in the trailer I'm building. I'm going with a 2kw due to the insulation I'm installing. If it's not enough, I have enough room to swap it for the 5kw.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
Just a note the all-in-heaters one are not really weather proof and there is no such thing a 8KW heat are just 5KW marketed as higher

Reactions: MazeVX

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
They're easy enough to use. When I go out in winter time solo, I hard mount one into my YJ. The unit is in the cab and exhausts externally and on it's lowest hz setting keeps the inside of the Jeep nice and warm, last trip we were down in the 20s and even on it's lowest speed I slept under a poncho liner and was comfortable. For reference, the YJ has no insulation whatsoever. No carpet and a standard Besttop SuperTop. I think I paid 120 dollars for it.

There are videos on how to operate the panel and how to navigate it's options. So I wouldnt' even worry about that. I keep mine in hertz or pulse mode and run it as low as it will go on factory settings. There is also a temperature/thermostat mode but if the unit or control panel is external of your heated space, that mode is pretty useless.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Most of my group has the Vevor.
easy to use and pretty quiet. Fuel usage is minimal. I think I use just over a quart if I run it all night on low. "If" your luck enough to get a working thermostat, it does you no good if the controller is mounted to the unit (all in 1).
Across the board, the biggest complaint about the cheap ones is some features on the controller don't work. Everything you actually need works like fan speed, on/off, priming. Clock, thermostat, timer.... is iffy. With mine, its perfect on low fan and I have my controller remote so I can change fan speeds or turn it off if need be.

I think some of us are working on close to three years with only one having issues. Just an odd bug in one of the units making it useless.

Reactions: MazeVX and rgallant