Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
OK guys, Our rig is getting a new paint job this Friday.. Today I begin stripping all the "bolt on" stuff off. Sliders, roof rack, winch, front bumper and --- OB badge #0745. Is there an easy way to get it off and then back on, or must I get another one. If so, how hard is it to get another badge # 0745? Thanks in advance..

OverLandCruiser76

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Venezuela
Member #

They sell 3m Adhesive disks in the store, i'm sure that'll work once you removed them...
That's right, they have the adhesive for sale on the store, the badges are made out of metal so you won't loose it. As far as how to remove it, I always use goo gone, that should do the job.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Just out of curiosity what is the cost?
A friend is doing the job for me, 464 Traditional Beige. There are three little dents to repair and upper tail gate repair. I think that 2k is a very fair price. Thanks everyone, I just purchased the 3m adhesive..

Last edited:

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I removed mine off my WJ when i wrecked it, use the 3m adhesive disc they sell in the store. I used a razor blade and some goo-b-gone and it came right off. My emblem has been through hell and is still holding strong!

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
OK, I'll play, here are a couple of before photos. The rig was originally "Mall Krawler Champagne" and over the past 20 years has bleached out to this very odd silver color. Take notice and you'll see that the rear view mirrors did not bleach out. We are going for something that blends in a bit more with the high deserts. I'll post up "after" photos next week after I re-install the racks and front bumper.. P3210034.jpg

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
UPDATE:: We have decided to change two things. #1; it is somewhat foolish to pay for the labor & paint, to strip the plastic cladding and repaint it only to ding and scratch it up on our first trip. So we decided to paint only from the cladding up and we will continue to Krylon the cladding. However grey just won't go with our new color, so we're looking for some shade of brown for the cladding. #2; We also decide to go with the color, Quicksand - 4V6. I saw the color on a Tundra at the dealer lot the other day and like it a lot. It is very close to the same color as a lot of the older Landcruiser beige colors pre-89 and it will be very easy to obtain touch-up paint.

As it stands now, we are picking up our beloved Diehlmobile Tuesday morning the 27th. I'll put in in my shop, get the blue tape going, rattlecan the cladding, install front bumper, winch, lights, racks, etc then get some photo ops the Saturday after...

Reactions: WJ - Firefly

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pleasant View, UT, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Take a look at "Monstaliner" for the cladding... very durable, easy to roll on, lots of color choices, looks cool.
Anxious to see the pics, quicksand is one of my favorite new colors. http://www.monstaliner.com/

(Edit: WWII OD Green would be a great match for Quicksand)

Reactions: SLO Rob

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Take a look at "Monstaliner" for the cladding... very durable, easy to roll on, lots of color choices, looks cool.
Anxious to see the pics, quicksand is one of my favorite new colors. http://www.monstaliner.com/

(Edit: WWII OD Green would be a great match for Quicksand)
definitely gonna check that out if the Rustoleum "espresso" sucks..

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Before and after Profiles.. I checked into the monstaliner and decided against it. If I ever want to do a complete frame-off restoration, my paint/body guy tells me that monstaliner would be impossible to remove from the skirting, so I'll stick with rattle cans. The espresso I think looks really good. Next up? Repainting our trailer to match.. Since Quicksand is not a metallic paint it should be easy to get some A100 to match up. I'm even thinking of painting the frame, fenders and drawbar of the trailer in the espresso. I really like the "desert" color scheme. IMG_2661.jpg cruzer.jpg

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pleasant View, UT, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Yep, you're right about that for monstaliner, it's both a positive and a negative that way. Super durable but it is permanent!
Man that looks good! I like the color choice. Same for the trailer will look great.

Reactions: WJ - Firefly

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
Very nice choice!! The quicksand looks even better with the darker lower body. What is the color of the rattle can you used? I got my 80 repainted in 3H4 red pearl but in a few more years I'm hoping to do something more earthy. Who did the work?

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
We did the cladding in Rustoleum, Espresso, satin finish.. my wife picked that color and was a huge help in taping and draping.. an old friend of mine that's been a body and paint man for over 35 years did the work.. 3 color coats and 2 seal coats..